Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, duplexer, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, e | W3NQN RF Bandpass Filters Help

Reviews Summary for W3NQN RF Bandpass Filters
W3NQN RF Bandpass Filters Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: The filter Benchmark, triple resonant filter design, 200 Watt rating, and superlative 2nd harmonic rejection
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com/filters

You can write your own review of the W3NQN RF Bandpass Filters.

F5RRS Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2015 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Hard as a rock  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recommend the very professional and merchant ARRAY SOLUTIONS distributing these W3NQN filters.
There is a real quality of listening and a real skill.
They will not hesitate to solve your problem.
Thank you Karen and to all the team for your time and professionalism.
Highly recommended!
We can not imaging running SO2R without a full set of W3NQN BPF.
hard as a rock!
73, Damien F5RRS

WB6RSE Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2013 11:44 Send this review to a friend
INDISPENSIBLE BCB RX FILTER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The W3NQN BCB Reject Receiver Only Filter from Array Solutions significantly reduced huge 160m inband spurs from a BC station on 1650. The spurs went from over +40dB to just a perceptible carrier during the daytime with the BC station running 10 kW. The spurs were then much weaker when the BC station switched to their nighttime power of 490 watts. The BC station was overloading 160m preamps in use with a receiving loop. The spurs made the band almost unusable. This filter dramatically solved the problem. Well worth the expensive.

KO4NX Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2013 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Make Sure You Get Genuine W3NQN Filters !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Based on the last review, I think some clarification is in order.

Array Solutions distributes both W3NQN filter made by W3NQN himself, and also sells Hammation Filters which are copies of W3NQN designs. From personal experience, I can tell you there is a marked performance difference between a genuine W3NQN filter, and the copies offered by Hammation. Based on the last review, I think the poster may have gotten ahold of some Hammation Copies!

The best way to determine if you in fact have a genuine W3NQN filter is look at the return loss response of the filter in question with a Network Analyzer. If the return loss response meet or exceeds the return loss response listed at http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/wx0bbpf6.htm#200w . then you can be rest assured, you have a genuine W3NQN product. Another tall tale sign you may have purchased a Hammation copy of this filter is, Hammation uses a Printed Circuit Board inside of their filter assembly, where W3NQN does not.

I have sampled many different W3NQN filters on a network analyzer, and I have not found one yet that does not match the performance characterized in the above link. I have also sampled many Hammation variants of the W3NQN filter and all of them with the exception of one did not have the matching return loss response posted on Array Solutions Website.

About two years ago I received a batch of Hammation Filters, and after placing them on a network analyzer I knew there was something amiss. Further investigation revealed I had been sold Hammation Copies despite the fact I had order Genuine W3NQN Filters. Array Solutions did send me replacement genuine W3NQN filters when I informed them of my discovery, but did say at that time Hammation did not possess the appropriate test equipment to tune these filters, which is why I was seeing such a discrepancy.

I have learned since my last experience with Hammation they now have a VNA2180 to tune correctly tune the frequency response of these filters. But this is not the end of the story - After Hammation received the VNA for tuning these filters I had the chance to sample another Hammation copy of the W3NQN filter and frequency response exhibited by this filter was still inferior to the genuine W3NQN filter??!!! It is obvious the builder did not take the time to correctly tune the filter, and this was further verified by me tuning one of the filters myself to match the return loss response projected in W3NQN's forecast.

Bottom line here is if you place an order from Array Solutions make sure you specify that you want Genuine W3NQN and not Hammation filters. When you order W3NQN filters from Array Solutions online web order form you may get Hammation, and you may get W3NQN!

QRPNEW Rating: 3/5 Feb 18, 2011 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Not Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a set of these filters from A/S. They all they 200 watt versions. While they do work they are not as good as the original W3NQN filters.

We had had 2 sets of the W3NQN filter. The first set were homebrewed by a very talented RF engineer as per the W3NQN articles in QST. The second set were the Array Solution W3NQN filters. We only bought the AS filters because obtaining the components was becoming very difficult.

On the several of the low bands we noticed "more interference" than the Array Solutions filters. Our 20 meter stations were breaking through just enough to cause concern. This was also occurring on 40 meters and 80 meters. We could not notice this interference with the homebrew W3NQN filter set.

We discussed the issue during the field day and our RF EE said he would examine the filters at work. Well he did, and it confirmed why they were not working as well as the homebrew filters.

All the Array Solutions W3NQN filters did not meet the specifications on the low side of the filter curve. Where we were expecting 60db or greater attenuation we were only getting 30 to 40 db of out of band attenuation. Its not that we were expecting better performance we just wanted equivalent performance to the original W3NQN specifications published in the article and also in the Low Band DX handbook. They all state better than 60db attenuation on both the low and high side within the ham bands.

Anyway there it is, the AS W3NQN filters obviously dont follow the original articles construction and also does not follow the strict component regime. If you want the best performance you would be wise to buy these filters on the proviso that they are swept on a VNA. We could not not return the filters because we had already drilled and mounted them into our filter switch box in their original enclosures.

The construction of the AS W3NQN is not better than you can do homebrewing these filters. The construction is very basic and the filter parts are just sitting on a bed of silicon rubber. It looks like someone has emptied a silicon gun in the filter box!

For the price we were expecting the best possible performance that goes with the W3NQN name. We expected the filters to meet all its claimed specifications. SO in this regard the AS W3NQN filters are not perfect.

N7MG Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2010 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Great design!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've decided to go the slightly more difficult route and actually build these filters from scratch. I've spoke with W3NQN (Ed) on occasion and he's provided me with information to help me as well as provided references of other individuals who could help. The guy has produced a top notch design and its actually quite fun to see them tune up after you put in the time to bring one to life!

So far I have only built the 40 meter filter. I plan on making the 20 meter filter next and won't stop until I have a full set. So far the 40 meter filter I built provides over 84dB of attenuation on 20 meters and 42dB of attenuation on 80 meters.

Thanks Ed!

KC4PX Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2004 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding - A must for any multi-op contest or DXpedition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The K4T DXpedition team (Dry Tortugas) was fortunate to use DCI VHF Bandpass Filters on 2 meters and 6 meters and Array Solutions W3NQN filters on HF. We had two stations running in the same tent, one on HF, the other on 6 and 2 meters. The DCI filters were the 4 pole type capable of handling 200 watts as was the Array Solutions NQN filters for HF. Our first impression was how massive these filters were and very well made. As for operation, we never had a problem. Each station operated without any interference throughout the 4 days on the island. On the HF station, we utilized NQN Bandpass Filters for 20, 40 & 80 meters. When considering a multi-op DXpedition or contest operation, having Bandpass filters on each band is a must, otherwise significant interference and operator annoyance would limit the efficiency and tolerance of each operator. I highly recommend these Bandpass Filters to anyone serious on weak signal and contest operation.

K8ND Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2004 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Unbeatable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We use these filters at the Signal Point station on Curacao (PJ2T), where we have four full-power stations installed all the time, and can set up six. While doing Multi-2 or Multi-Multi contesting, these filters allow each station to operate without interference with all the antennas on our three towers. That is what you want bandpass filters to do!

Combined with the Array Solutions FM-6 matrix switch device and band decoder, we automatically switch these filters into line as the transceiver selects each band. They are available for the six "contest bands", WARC bands, and MARS frequencies.

When one of the 200W W3NQN filters was inadvertently place at the output of an amplifier, it was "crispy-crittered". We sent it back to Ed Wetherhold W3NQN for repair and recalibration, which cost us the princely sum of $10 (including shipping!). The second time you abuse and fry the filter, he'll charge you $20!

These filters cannot be beat!

N7MB Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2001 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding filters for Multi Transmitter Environment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During our visit to the Spratly Islands as 9M0M we had three full time stations set up with Alpha amps.

Even with 3 stations running at the same time in the same room there was NO intrastation interference heard when using the W3NQN RF bandpass filters. We did not use any extra coaxial stubbs on the output of the amps.

Highly recommended! de N7MB