Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | DV-Dongle Help

Reviews Summary for DV-Dongle
DV-Dongle Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $199.00
Description: A USB peripheral that allows a PC/MAC to use the D-star digital voice/repeater/gateway system.

You can write your own review of the DV-Dongle.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Borrowing / for now  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Once you get rid of the awful software the dvdongle.com tells you to download & get DVTool 2.0beta5 its fine. One "trick" is check box next to PTT that's says "lock" all will be right with the world, or at least the Dongle being able to transmit as long as you like....

The actual device does a great job connecting to Repeaters and Reflectors, list includes many of both....setup your audio !!!! Link up and away you go.....seems to be no latency even using wireless...other than the expected internet lag...

KE4PNS Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2013 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works as stated.
No problems installing it on a Windows 7 computer even though it is not listed in the instructions.
Only Drawback was waiting about 5 days for someone to register me on the D-Star network.
There needs to be a faster way for someone to register.

K6JU Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2013 00:02 Send this review to a friend
Great way to get onto D-STAR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DV Dongle is the easiest way to get onto D-STAR. Plugged it into my laptop which auto loaded the drivers, installed the software and you are up and running in 5 minutes. Got a set of earphones with a mic for 20 bucks at Fry's and I was on the air. If you have questions just email Robin and he will email you right back even on a holiday as he did for me. He is very serious about customer support and it really shows!

ZL2UFI Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2012 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Cheap way to get on D-STAR/Great for Repeater Diagnosis...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One of the cheapest ways to get into D-STAR without having to out lay a large amount of cash for a D-STAR enabled transceiver.
We all know that you pay a premium cost for a D-STAR transceiver, so this hardware device is ideal for those wishing to dip their
toe in the digital radio world (D-STAR).

This has proven itself as the local ham club brought one to share around its members so they can try it out on the local repeaters
on VHF/UHF and worldwide of course. Some members just brought DV Dongles and have not brought transceivers yet, waiting to see
the up take before committing to new purchases. To date there are now 30 members of the club with D-STAR transceivers or
DV Dongles in the first 18 months since the repeaters were installed. Not bad for a population base of about 40,000!

I already had the VHF DVAP so buying one of these DV Dongles was a no brainer. Initially I was put off by a local ham who had one,
as I didn't understand from his description how it worked or its use. However, another ham proved to me its worth so I brought one to
add to my D-STAR collection.

I have since used in on recent trips to USA and Australia and around New Zealand. It works by connecting via USB to your PC or Mac.
Then you'll need a good headset/microphone (the laptop built in ones will work at a squeeze but not recommended).
Plus a connection to the internet and the you need to registered on the D-STAR network.

It allows access to all the repeaters and reflectors. It has many functions which the RF transceivers don't have, the ability to
listen to all the repeaters on a Gateway, e.g. modules A to D. It provides the ability to diagnose repeaters via the BER (Bit Error Rate)
- read this article for more information - http://www.zl2vh.org.nz/pdf/other/Mt%20Climie%20D-Star%20Repeater%20fault%20diagnosis.pdf

I have found that the support area is one of the big advantages of this device - Robin Cutshaw AA4RC really goes the extra mile for people.
He fully supports his products and makes all the difference when you get stuck.

You can use the DV Dongle (like the DVAP) with software other than Robin's such as Fred N. van Kempen PA4YBR's WinDV or
Jonathan Naylor G4KLX's Client/Repeater software.

If you are thinking of whether these are any good or not, they are... its that simple. I have used them in the USA, Australia and New Zealand,
even from public WiFi connections, so you are never out of service so to speak.

Never missed a beat - 5 out of 5 for me!

KA9JYO Rating: 4/5 Jun 15, 2012 09:12 Send this review to a friend
good product, bad software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got the DVDongle this week, I used the software on the installation from dvdongle.com
it was very hard to set the audio parameters, you have to play for hrs. I checked my settings on Skype, and it was perfect. I googled for dvdongle software, I found the latest DvTool 2.0
beta5, downloaded it worked right away without changing any settings on my audio, it's great.

WB8NUT Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2011 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Multiple Uses - Great for Traveling  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I added the DV Dongle to my group of DStar related equipment. I have three DStar radios and the DVAP so it seemed only natural to add this to the DStar stable of equipment. This is great for traveling when I have to take a laptop with me and cannot take a radio. It also is a natural for older hams who may live in retirement communities, have a computer, but cannot have a radio. This will allow them to talk all across the world to hams on DStar. Great little appliance.

KF4UCE Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2011 13:02 Send this review to a friend
D-Star Anywhere!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been bitten by the VHF/UHF digital modes bug recently and this was the cheapest way to get on the air with D-Star. Great build quality and it works with every computer I've plugged it into so far.

The dongle works with a variety of internet connections as well. The slow wi-fi on campus, wi-fi at McDonald's, cable internet and even with my 250U 4G air card. I'd like to see a version in the future with a switched PTT or a Mic connector built-in.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2010 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Neat gadget  Time owned: more than 12 months
My local ham club was among the earliest in my area to install a D-Star repeater and I have enjoyed using it with friends. When my wife and I travel, we take a laptop with us so the DV Dongle was a natural gadget to get for it, especially when we go somewhere that has no local D-Star repeater available. I use a small Logitech headset which works great and I can easily keep in touch with my friends back at the home repeater. The DV Dongle is perfect for anyone who would like to give D-Star a try who may not have a repeater in the area or to take with you when you travel. It really is a neat little gadget.

K4EB Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2009 16:48 Send this review to a friend
very enjoyable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Travelling the way I do.which is constantly.I have enjoyed the dv dongle and D-star.With Mark ,KJ4VO at HRO helping me walk through a few minor problems,mostly through my error,I am able to have very nice QSO,s where otherwise I would be staring at the boob tube in my hotel rooms.I realize that some people might say that it isn't ham radio,but I disagree,HAM radio is communicating with other fellow hams,no matter what the medium.Don't get me wrong,I love HF,always have and always will.I am an avid dxer with all the latest and greatest gear.But I still enjoy D-star!
You will experience some digital weirdness,dependent on internet connection issues,but for the most part the transmissions are crystal clear.

Anyway,I highly recommend any body trying this new mode,it is a very inexpensive way to enjoy communication with other fellow hams.Especially for those who have a technician license.

73 and thanks for reading

Larry K4EB

W7RJR Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2009 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With the help of Robin AA4RC and Mark at the Atlanta HRO store I have been finally able to get registered on the D-Star network. Registration is a very frustrating experience.

Once registered the DV-Dongle works as advertised.