Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack Pro-160 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Pro-160
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $149.00
Description: Base/Mobile Scanner
More info: http://Radio Shack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Pro-160.

AK4FP Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2016 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Analogue Trunker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I'd update the Pro-160 reviews. If you're looking for a used scanner that is excellent on conventional and airband frequencies and does a good job on analogue trunk systems, the 160 fits the bill. It's really a Uniden sold by RS. It has the large Uniden display compared to the usual GRE units. It's roughly analogous to the BCT15. It has the usual Uniden love for menus but it all works once you get used to it. The biggest issue is it has no attenuator. If you live in a RF dense area and have a rooftop antenna, this isn't the radio for you. Otherwise, it's one of the most sensitive receivers I own. I live in a small town and, even with a cell tower about 300 yards from me, I get no front end desense or intermod. If you're an airband monitor, this is your radio. Covers VHF and UHF airbands and will hear about anything out there. I can hear an airport automated weather broadcast transmitter that puts out 25 watts from 30 miles away. These aren't easy to find because of their short production run and the fact most people won't give them up, but a few show up on ebay now and again in the $100 range for one in good condition. This radio is worth the price. Oh, and the radio is rebandable so no worries there.

Regards, Jim

N2ZUL Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2010 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice Base scanner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had many scanners over the years. I always wanted a base scanner and I heard this one was on closeout after only a year. The display is nice and large with one of the lines being larger than the rest. I have read it is larger and heavier than most base/mobiles but this doesn't bother me. It does scan quite fast compared to my pro-95 (currently own) and others I've had in the past such as a pro-2055, pro-43 and a pro-2026. This is also the first scanner I have had with a "real" antenna (not a duckie) it is the famed RS 20-176 at 21 feet so I hear things I didn't know I would be able to.

So if you can find one, pick it up! you won't be disappointed

QUIKSILVIA Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2009 16:10 Send this review to a friend
great scanner for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
as stated by the other guy, got mine on clearance for 100$, but the new version is a pro 163 and 164, one is the handheld version. great scanner, a lot of the main menu items that you would need to access during mobile use are very quick to pull up, have a $20 hustler mrm and it sounds great

LUV2DRIVE Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2009 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent scanner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Greatly improved from PRO-433 . Large readout screen is a positive as is alpha-numeric feature. Now on close-out price of$99.97 and not at every store but at website.