Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | American Morse Bushwacker Sideswiper/Single Lever Paddle Kit Help

Reviews Summary for American Morse Bushwacker Sideswiper/Single Lever Paddle Kit
American Morse Bushwacker Sideswiper/Single Lever Paddle Kit Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $99.00
Description: Innovative new design with unique features! Exclusive variable paddle lever ratio provides unparalled adjustability from feather soft to rock hard. (Patent pending). Fully finished and Mil-Spec anodized, with slightly textured flat finish on paddle.

* Incredibly solid, fully adjustable feel; Gap, Spring Force, & Lever Ratio!
* Small size, only 4.5 ounces 4 x 1 1/5 x 1 1/8 inches
* CNC machined from Aircraft Grade Aluminum
* No machining required fully finished
* Stainless Steel fasteners throughout
* Simple, Reliable, in easy-to-assemble kit
* Base drilled & tapped for mounting, fits Leg Mount, Qwikmount, and BW Desk Base
* Desk base weighs 2 pounds for solid mounting

You can write your own review of the American Morse Bushwacker Sideswiper/Single Lever Paddle Kit.

N2QFD Rating: 2/5 May 4, 2015 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Real Potential   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the kit about two months ago and it assembled easily and I was on the air in no time. Setup was easy and fine tuning it was a breeze. The paddle can be either side up and I built mine with the fin down as I think it's more ergonomic for me and it's ascetically pleasing in appearance and operation.
I have had trouble however with poor electrical continuity. There are no contact pads on this key, it is a stainless screw hitting onto the head of another stainless machine screw. The armature is aluminum and pivots on a stainless pin that carries the current from the body of the key and here in I think is the trouble.
Perhaps it works better as a keyer key but I use mine (as advertised) as a Sideswiper or Cootie key and I'm afraid that I need an excellent electrical connection for this to work correctly. I have had reports of defective keying and dirty contacts. I have re-wired it, rebuilt is several times, used anti-oxidation paste, stripped and cleaned it again and it always works flawlessly for about an hour of operating before the dirty contact sound creeps back in. I've used it on my ICOM, my TENTEC and my Home brew QRPp rigs all to the same effect.
At this point I've contacted the maker to enlist his 100% lifetime guarantee to see if he'll take it back for a refund. It's a beautiful key and it's very close to being perfect but I think we all know that close isn't close enough when you're keying your radio.

N3DQU Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2015 14:00 Send this review to a friend
A Good Deal!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one of these kits at Dayton last year. Went together nice, easy to set up, comfortable to use and after a year, the adjustments have stayed true. Hey, it's not a Bengali by any means, but for 99 bux, you can't beat it! Unless you've got a way to mount it, figure on buying the base, because the paddle is really light. Other than that, I'm a satisfied customer and would buy the Bushwacker again.
N7AG Rating: 3/5 Apr 7, 2015 17:38 Send this review to a friend
OK 4 the $  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well thought out, vertical slip can be curred with the use of washers. What happened to computer controlled milling?

Not the first sloppy American Morse key I've owned.

Sold it.
N4LQ Rating: 2/5 Apr 7, 2015 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Lots of slop  Time owned: more than 12 months
Cute but has lots of vertical play (slop). The price reflects the quality on this product. I sold mine at a loss.
K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2015 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Impressive design .... nice action and easy to adjust.

Cost $$$ is impressive too. Quality materials and craftsmanship!

I'm working my way back to single paddle from in progress ... HI HI

Cheers All
W2CKL Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2014 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Feel  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased the Bushwacker with heavy base for use at my QTH. About 1 year before I purchased the Mini-B for use on SOTA hills, and found I was using it all the time. HA. The workmanship is top quality, and the feel is outstanding. I originally went with the single lever over a duel lever because I wanted to mimic the feel of a bug, and that's exactly how I use it. Hold for dits, tap for dahs. It improved my sending in no time, and when I do go back to the bug for SKCC it is a natural transition. I think it even gave my bug sending a little less of a swing. The directions are easy to follow, and the parts fit perfectly, a very good key.
73 - Bob W2CKL
N7AG Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2014 16:29 Send this review to a friend
great 4 $  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Always wanted to try a cootie key, & single lever iambic thrown in. Several adjustments. Found some vertical wiggle, fixed w/shim. Not a n3zn, but 1/3 less. Great buy. Bill n7 ag
AC4NS Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2014 10:24 Send this review to a friend
A kit builders delight!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, I'll admit to being a klutz with paddles. For more than 20 years I've tried to master them but to no avail. Fortunately I'm as good with a straight key as I am bad with paddles. I get lots of compliments on my straight key fist but I'm still limited to just under 20 WPM. For a couple years now I've wanted to try a single lever paddle and decided on the Bushwacker as an inexpensive way to get my feet wet. So far, so good. Everything you've read about the parts quality from AME is right on the money. The kit arrived on a Saturday afternoon so I jumped right in and assembled it in about an hour. I've built dozens of kits both audio and ham related over the last 50 years but this is the first time building with the manual displayed on a 24 inch monitor. Wow! The descriptive text and color photos are excellent. Who needs paper manuals anymore? So far I'm doing pretty well with the single lever paddle. My speed is getting better and with each passing day I'm making fewer and fewer mistakes. To put it another way, in about ten days I'm doing better than I ever did in all those years of trying to master the paddles. The Bushwacker is a lot of fun to use and I'm looking forward to taking it with me on my QRP kayaking journey's and the usual park bench ops.Here at home it's used with the optional heavy base. If you want to try a single lever paddle I think this might be a good one to try first.
K9FXR Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2014 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent even for beginners!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm fairly new to CW and I really haven't tried enough to have a preference. I do know quality when I see it and this is a quality device. I can't comment on it's function at high speeds because I am still plodding along at 12 wpm. However, I feel that I am sending quality code with this little key. I really can't see myself wanting more.
K9FXR Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2013 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm new to CW but I can recognize quality when I see it. The kit went together perfectly thanks to excellent machining and instructions. This key is extremely easy to use even for a beginner.