Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | BuxComm 40-2meter Windom 40270 Help

Reviews Summary for BuxComm 40-2meter Windom 40270
BuxComm 40-2meter Windom 40270 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: 40 thru 2 meter Windom
More info: http://www.buxcomm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=721&zenid=cd7d60174a99ee7ac1571f6388932f77

You can write your own review of the BuxComm 40-2meter Windom 40270.

KM5YE Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 09:38 Send this review to a friend
  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two and one-half years ago I purchased one of 'Bucks" 2m-40m Off-Center-Fed-Dipoles; the model is no longer offered for sale. Over time the non-coated copper wire corroded very badly - nearly doubling in size; I had never seen corrosion to such a severe degree. Naturally, being a grumpy old coot I was very disappointed and pulled no punches when e-mailing 'Buck' to let him know my disappointment in his product that had been described as the best thing since fresh baked bread. I was rude and I wouldn't have blamed him had he simply dumped my mail in the trash; but, he did not do so.

I received a short message back telling me he would replace the antenna with model 40270 AT NO COST TO ME - shipping included! I was so embarrassed as I should have been; 'Buck' didn't mention a word about my anger!

The antenna arrived in record time and I was amazed at the quality compared to the model it replaced. The 40270 is VERY WELL MADE - the balun is far better than the previous model balun (which had been replaced twice under warranty). The VSWR at 35 feet while not "flat" is a respectable 1.3:1 on ALL bands the antenna is designed to operate on; AND on 17M the VSWR is 2.0:1 - not bad at all.

'Buck' amazed me by replacing an antenna I had for well over two years and for not beating me up when I was abusive towards him when contacting him regarding my displeasure with the original OCFD model I purchased.

73 from John .... KM5YE

K5DHE Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2009 21:42 Send this review to a friend
review 2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got the antenna up. works better than my g5rv. the thing even loads on 75 meters with my heath tuner...im very pleased and would recommend it to anyone that wants a well made proven design. tech support is good. the tech folks being buck knows antennas plus he is a real character.

jim k5dhe

VA3RTX Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2009 19:34 Send this review to a friend
As good as advertised  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had a BuxComm 40270 up for about 6 months now and it has worked flawlessly. I've built several homebrew antennas over the years, but for $60 US that I payed, I could not have made this antenna. I have a two story house with a 40' by 40' back yard. I mounted the center 25' up off the back of the house. In the back corners of the yard I have two 4x4 posts that reach 9' above the ground. Using rope, pulleys and 5 pound weights, I created a somewhat inverted V. Without using a tuner, I have a near flat SWR on 40,20,10 and most of 6 meters. The big advantage of this antenna over a GR5V, is that it is fed by coax and not ladder line. The only odd thing that I encountered were the conflicting specs on the balun. The model 40270, corresponds to 40M to 2M and 70ft total length. My balun was labeled 1.5Mhz to 55Mhz at 1500 Watts, their website says this balun is good for 1.6Mhz to 60Mhz at 1200 Watts and if it was good for 2 meters, I would expect it to be good to 150Mhz. I've checked with some other hams who have bought these antennas and they appear to be like "snow flakes", no two are alike. This doesn't bother me as I have no intention of using this type of antenna for VHF, but it is rather confusing. The most important thing to consider when purchasing this antenna is that you request the correct ratio balun. The selection of balun is determined by how high above the ground it will be mounted.

K5DHE Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2009 20:15 Send this review to a friend
great so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just purchased a 40270. if the antenna is as good as the tech. service which i fully expect, i just purchased the antenna perfect for my station and pocket book. been a ham for 54 years.. i expect it to out last me.
k5dhe jim

KG4BCN Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2009 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was looking for a replacement antenna for a homemade fan dipole. After a LOT of going thru reviews I settled on the BuxComm 40-2 OCF. After the antenna was delivered I went over it thoroughly. I was impressed by the quality of the antenna but was still slightly unsure how it would work. The antenna was put into the air and the SWR was checked on all bands 40-6 and all the bands showed a SWR of 2.0 or less. I put my Yaesu FT 950 on 80 meters and the SWR was surprisingly low 2.5-3.0. Since my radio doesn't cover 2 meters I couldn't check it there. The antenna has been up since then with no problems at all. Would I recommend this antenna to anyone else? I already have.!!!!!! Iím seriously thinking about getting another one for when I go camping or for general radio work when Iím out and about.

W8CFI Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2009 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a good antenna to put up at my camper location and knew a BucComm antenna would fit my needs as I use them at home. I purchased the 40-2 meter Windom and installed it at about 25 feet. This antenna replaced a rotating dipole I had and what a difference. The Windom works excellent, I have a match of less then 1:8 across all bands and do not need a tuner that I needed with the rotating dipole. I now hear and work stations on all bands. This antenna is well constructed and for it's price is an excellent choice for those looking to get on 40-2 meters with one antenna. Customer support is great and personal. Thanks Buck!