Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | Grundig AN 200 BCB Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig AN 200 BCB Loop Antenna
Grundig AN 200 BCB Loop Antenna Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $39.99
Description: The Grundig AN200 is a passive, fully adjustable indoor antenna for the AM broadcast band. This inductive coupling makes it easy to use with most portables that have an AM Ferrite bar antenna. Simply placing this antenna near the radio will improve reception. Just adjust the AN200 tuning knob for maximum gain. There is also an output jack for a "wired" connection to radios with AM antenna terminals. The supplied cable has a 3-conductor 3.5mm plug at one end bare wires at the other end.
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Grundig AN 200 BCB Loop Antenna.

WA1UFO Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am 65 and started playing with radio at 7 years of age. I have used many aerial types over the years and many tube and solid state receivers including shortwave xtal radios which heard the world with a good skywire. With my Yaesu and Icom rigs, I often like to DX MW stations but my 75 Meter OCF dipole is grossly limiting because of the 115 KV line behind my house. I own several active loop aerials for SW and MW. I love pocket transistor radios as well for MW fishing so I got the Tecsun AN200 loop which is this loop with a different name. It is pretty to look at, ruggedly built, and works like a charm! I also tried it with my Sony ICF 2010 and it sent it into orbit nulling out most of the trash on MW much better than the internal aerial on the Sony. It has high Q and cost me 24 bucks with shipping included from Hong Kong! This is a steal at this price I can tell you!

F61 Rating: 2/5 Jun 18, 2013 20:08 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned this for about 18 months, and it works OK for cheap radios like the WRX-911 or Tecsun R911 Clone. My cost was $25 shipped. Quite frankly a milk-crate antenna does better with nice sharp peaks due to using a real air-variable, and not a polymer variable. Winding on the loop is too tight with too big a gauge. Using #30 wire at same spacing would help. Nothing to get excited about here, but is at least as good as the older 9" loops that sold for twice as much 30 years ago.

F61-out

NZ4O Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2012 06:44 Send this review to a friend
A Helpful addition  Time owned: more than 12 months
2-3 years ago I bought my Tecsun AN 200 loop straight from the manufacturer in China. It was packed and shipped very poorly but survived the trip with no damage. The manufacture of my unit was fairly poor and I had to make a couple of physical repairs to it.

As far as performance it significantly improves reception on the MF AM band compared to the stock internal loop stick antennas in my Sangean ATS-818 and Tecsun PL-600.

I use it mainly at night time beside the bed as I like to listen to WSM 650 and KOA 850.

N4DBC Rating: 4/5 Jan 1, 2012 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Good for a small loop  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My local Rat Shack was having a clearance, so I picked this up to try on my Sony XDR-F1HD tuner.

That tuner came with one of those rectangular (small) plastic loop antennas, so I figured that this would be an improvement without having a "hula hoop" or larger antenna.

Right away I noticed a stronger signal on all stations. The HD even locked (for a limited time) on night time stations as far away as St. Louis (KMOX - 1120) and Boston (WBZ - 1030) [My grid is EM-97 in SW Va). Anyone who has an HD radio knows that skywave (night time) will rarely lock into the digital signal.

The tuning knob (variable capacitor/trimmer?) does make a slight difference if you use it correctly. I can tell more of a difference in daytime use, where distant stations (groundwave) are consistently weak but not subject to fading like skywave signals.

There does appear to be a correlation between the 'trimmer' position and frequency. For instance, if you are tuning in the 540 to 850 KHz range, the trimmer knob is usually best to the left of center (7 - 11 o'clock). The middle of the am band will be best with the trimmer somewhere near the middle (between 10 - 2 o'clock). The higher part of am seems better between the middle and right (12 - 5 o'clock). However, sometimes stations at the band edges like the trimmer all the way opposite of what you might expect.

One example of improvement, WFIR 960 from Roanoke, Va mainly produced a 'carrier squeal' (daytime) on the original am loop. But with the AN200, I can adjust the position of the loop and the 'trimmer' to recover a readable signal.

I'm also able to receive considerably more daytime am stations. The key is to set your radio to the frequency that you wish to receive, and then rotate the antenna and trimmer for best reception.

Don't expect miracles. But if you have a tuner or portable with a am antenna input, and the OEM small am loop doesn't work well for you, this could be an improvement. Just don't pay over $25 or so for it, because there are probably better ones (if you pay more or can use a physically larger loop).

I'll rate it a 4 for comparably sized (passive) loop antennas, but a 3 or less if compared to a larger wire or active (amplified) loop antenna.

N6FD Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2011 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Improves small receivers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works as advertised. Improved the reception of stations on my Radio Shack DX-440 and Sangean DTV-200. Didn't do much for my GE Superadio II, but that has a really good antenna to start with. The smaller the loopstick in the radio, the more this will help. The only down side was that it didn't null out interference from a local monitor very well. The other thing is that it looks very good, like a piece of abstract art, passes the wife desktop test.

N0CEK Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2011 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can now listen to 5kw 970 WMAY Springfield, Il. loud from 130 miles away during the day. Before with my Sangean 909 bareback I could hear the signal but it was in the mud. with a long wire it was a little better, but this antenna beats or at least equals the wire. I used the lead from the AN 200 to the radio jack and that was best but inductively it works almost as well.

I am mildly impressed with this mini-antenna its well worth 29 bucks. It doesn't take much to tune it and it doesnt take up to much room.

WY3X Rating: 2/5 Feb 25, 2011 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Poor reception compared to...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Poor reception as compared to a "carpet loop" antenna strung around inside my shack. If you're happy with this micro-antenna for BCB reception, you've never had the pleasure of listening on a larger antenna. The only person who would be pleased with this is someone who has never owned a "real" antenna. I bought this Grundig AN-200 from Radio Shack, and took it back the next day. I compared it to reception on three other antennas: a full-size 160M dipole, a 5 element HF cubical quad, and the carpet loop antenna. Hands down, the carpet loop beats it. I don't expect it to perform as good as the 160M antenna, but it should be at least as good as my 5 band HF quad (which is not tuned for these frequencies) to be considered a serious antenna for BCB listening. I think the problem is that the Q is too low. I think comparing it to my carpet loop indoor antenna is a very fair comparison, and hands down, it beat this micro-miniature antenna to pieces. Tuning was overly broad with little or no peaks. Several years ago I had a Ray Jefferson marine AM receiver with a rotatable ferrite antenna mounted on top, and it beat the pants off this piece of junk and my carpet loop. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2011 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Works like it should  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a couple of other passive loops (Select-a-Tenna and Terk) and the AN200 provides as much signal boost as they do but for a lower price. It's very attractive (especially when compared to the Select-a-Tenna). It was only $24.99 at Fry's Electronics.

KP2Z Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2009 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Works Well with Proper Orientation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works Great for the $30 price tag. Even better for the low price of $00.00. That's right! Universal Radio has a super deal till end of Sept. Buy the Grundig G4000A for $100 and get free a Eton FR 350 emergency radio, plus the AN200 antenna!

Using it: when I first tried it out I had the antenna broad side to my portables and it did nothing to improve reception. I thought it was a free plastic toy. Then I turned it 90 degrees and bingo signal went full quieting when tuned with the tuning knob. I say this because there's nothing indicating this orientation on the only instructions included that are on the packaging. So I give the instructions a "2". Used properly it brought in stations with a high noise level to full quieting.

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2009 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using the AN 200 with a Grundig S350DL receiver connected with the supplied cable (works without cable too). I'm now hearing AM BCB stations that I couldn't receive before with the built in antenna.