Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig G3 with SSB Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig G3 with SSB
Grundig G3 with SSB Reviews: 42 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: The Grundig G3 Globe Traveler is an innovative portable radio covering long wave, AM, FM, continuous shortwave plus the VHF aircraft band. It features dual conversion AM/SW circuitry for exceptional sensitivity and image rejection. It offers S.S.B. - Single sideband reception. It has an large 700 channel memory system with memory scan and auto tuning storage. Unlike other portables in it class, the Globe Traveler offers Synchronous Detection. This special feature addresses the issue of selective fading and co-channel interference on shortwave. RDS (radio data system) shows FM callsigns, artist, song title and messages when available. External antenna jack for SW, FM, VHF Air. Requires four AA cells (not supplied). 6.614 x 4.13 x 1.1 inches. Supplied with manual, protective pouch and AC adapter/charger.

More info: http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=916030

You can write your own review of the Grundig G3 with SSB.

NE1R Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2016 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent portable receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I stumbled upon an ad for the Grundig G3 on-line (I can't remember what website) about a year ago. I had not heard of the G3 before that. I was looking for a portable shortwave receiver to use in searching for RFI around my home. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, because I won't need it very often for that purpose. When I saw this model available for under $100, it called to me. Seeing that it had SSB capability was a big plus. So, I came to eHam and started reading reviews. So many reviews were negative, I became quite concerned. But, with fingers cross for luck, I bought one anyway.
Based solely upon my own experience with this one unit, I have to say that I don't understand the negative comments in some of the reviews.
I waited until I had owned the radio for about a year before reviewing it. I can now say, without reservation that I completely like this radio.
I have to agree that the buttons are small and hard to read. But, the display is quite easy to read, and that is what you need most. The entire unit is quite small. One needs to be careful when holding it not to push buttons accidentally.
But, for traveling, it is a dream. It takes up less space in a suitcase than a paperback book. I took it on a cruise to Bermuda and had great fun listening to broadcast stations along the east coast of the US, and some ham nets, while well out to sea. I also enjoyed being able to listen to the local stations in Bermuda.
It works quite well on shortwave and ham bands, too; much better that the last portable shortwave radio I had which was my tried and true Panasonic RF-2200. The Grundig is FAR superior, as you would expect with the benefit of 30 yrs' improvement in technology.
I don't understand some of the complaints about battery life. I use Duracell alkaline batteries. They last fine and the battery indicator on the radio gives fair warning long before they stop working.
It is a small radio, no doubt. But, I can't imagine how you could get more features into such a small package than the G3 does.
Owning the G3 has actually caused me to get back to listening to shortwave and AM broadcast stations in bed at night, which I had gotten away from some years ago.
Based on my 50 yrs of listening to shortwave radios and using the G3 for over a year, I would recommend this as an excellent, compact, portable shortwave radio easily worth twice what I paid for it.

VE4JIM Rating: 1/5 Dec 1, 2015 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Big mistake  Time owned: more than 12 months
The problem with buying on line you can't touch it hear it or see it up close. Paid good money for a mediocre radio that eats batteries 4 aa in a day (24 hrs or less of on time) It does have a decent receiver but for my purposes mainly am late night it is not a good choice. Very hard to manipulate controls with anything larger than a childís hands.
Do Not Buy

KB1BBY Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2015 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Great when properly aligned  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Grundig G3 has been severely bashed over the years and it is not unfounded. Had this radio been designed with more stable circuits for frequency alignment, SSB balance and SYNCH alignment, it probably would have scored very close to a solid 5.

I have owned 2 of them over the years (3rd one on the way via USPS) and found both to be one of the very best receivers in it's very portable size class......WHEN PROPERLY ALIGNED. I generally open mine up and realign them every 2 or 3 years, which is a very simple task, with no test equipment required to get it within the ball park and working very well. Audio is good for such a small radio, but much better on a good set of stereo ear buds.

Looks like Eton's new mini Satellit is just an updated version of the G3 on steroids, with a dazzling bright amber display and SEVERAL selectable bandwidths for AM/SSB/CW....AND the updated firmware (Version RBDS 003 as of September 2015) does a good job of correcting the audio muting problem while tuning the bands. Definitely a radio I will very soon be adding to my portable Shortwave receiver collection!

Grundig G3 BOTTOM LINE: If you are a TRUE HAM at heart, who does not mind doing a simple realignment every 2 or 3 years, this radio is WELL WORTH OWNING!! Just do a web search for "Grundig G3 SYNCH FIX" and you will find the details with photos on a popular radio forum. Once you have realigned your G3, you will probably like it better than the Degen DE1103 and you will find that it performs quite comparably to other great portables, such as the Sangean ATS-909X, Sony 7600 series or Tecsun PL600/PL660/PL680/PL880 radios. I have the new Tecsun PL680 and that is yet another very good radio (with SYNCH) for around $100. But that is yet another review, which I will post after I have used it more extensively.

Happy band hopping & DX chasing!! 73, de KB1BBY / Scott.

KJ6ELV Rating: 2/5 Jan 26, 2015 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Not ready for prime time!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had many issues, although I may have just gotten a defective unit:

Frequency display is off by 1 Khz on AM and SW
Synchronous detection is terrible and takes a while to lock on.

The sound quality is horribly tinny on AM and SW unless synchronous detection is turned on.

Due to the radio being off by 1 Khz, Whenever I turn on the synchronous detection I have to tune 1 Khz off frequency or else I get a horrible high-pitch heterodyne squeal.

If you are thinking of getting this radio I would avoid it and get the Tecsun PL-660 instead. It is nearly the same but works much better. I got rid of my G3 and replaced it with the PL-660 and I am much happier.

ALANJGIDD Rating: 2/5 Jan 13, 2015 04:12 Send this review to a friend
OK for SW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got hold of one at a discounted £44.99 from Maplins in the UK.
It comes with a power adaptor and case, no batteries or earphones. Although in the manual it states it has a backlit buttons, it doesn't.
On MW and LW it's very poor. Only useful for Five Live on 909 in London and other major broadcasters. BBC 198 LW is also poor so I wouldn't take this radio to mainland Europe for BBC listening. FM is good though.
SW is much, much better. My sync' feature works well and so does SSB and I get a very clear voice with the fine tune/clarifier wheel. It's also quite sensitive off the whip antenna. Stability seems good. The syncí really works well on my radio.
Pressing a volume button sometimes changes the frequency but that does not happen often but it does now and again. Signal strength meter seems a bit optimistic but don't they all?
One very strange thing about the radio is this:
If I am on a SW band and I gently press the speaker grill it makes odd whines and pops. This cannot be replicated in MW/LW or FM mode. Very strange. Overall I am OK with this radio but would have returned it if I was paying the full UK price of £99.99. Comparing it to my PL660 it's a very poor performer. My Degen 1103 is also a far better radio. I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get one at a sale price.

SWLCHRIS Rating: 3/5 Oct 16, 2013 20:11 Send this review to a friend
It works.. finally  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well to review this radio..... I had to go through three of them. The first two I bought directly from Radio Shack and found out they had defects on tuning and the synchronous detection feature which is why I had originally bought it. Upon receiving the second defective radio I called Eton Grundig's warranty department.

Lets just say I was not impressed with their customer service or their way of doing business. I sent in the radio and it was a long time before I heard anything.A long time being at least 3 or 4 weeks.Then I was told the replacement radio was on a bench being checked out before sent out to me.Then I was told they didn't have a radio there, they were waiting on the factory to ship more radios.That took another few weeks .

I finally got my replacement around the beginning of July. That was at least 3 months since I sent it in . More or less I felt screwed. I notified the service manager what I thought of their service and I just hope this radio doesn't blow up anytime soon cause I sure as hell won't take it back to Grundig .

That said, how does it work? Now this version has a locking synch detect that doesn't warble every 30 seconds losing lock on signal.The SSB feature is good as I am now hearing HF AIR operations on 6622 USB with an attached longwire thrown outside.I haven't fooled with the memories yet but overall this radio seems to work the way it should. It is prone to an overload with high noise levers if the dx\local switch is set to dx.The audio is clear the two selectable if filters are fairly decent shape and help on interference. Those filters combined with the synch detect work wonders on hard to get signals.

This isn't my Motorola R390 (no longer own)or my Drake R4A (no longer own) nor my Ten Tec RX320 which I still have but it does hear a lot with a decent antenna and outside the high noise levels by the apartment I hear a lot just on the whip. If it wasn't for the sucky service and the quality control issues I would have given this a 5 but I can only give it a 3 on that note

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2013 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio on Ethingy, and had it shipped to a friend in Vancouver, where I was meeting a cruise ship. So, I tried it out under the worst possible conditions - on board ship in the middle of the Pacific. It worked flawlessly on its telescoping antenna, dragging in lots of stations, Radio Australia, VOA, BBC, RNZ - you name it. As a bonus, CW sounded sweet, as did the SSB synchronizer. I honestly can't fault it! If you are in the market for a small portable, this is the one for you.

K3EY Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For less than $100 from Universal Radio you can't beat this small size and dollar radio with high end performance. Sure it's not my TS590 Kenwood in performance, but neither is the cost. Picks up AM stations as good as my Super GE II and does an excellent job on SSB as well, and in fact surprised me. I like this radio better than the Sony 7600 I owned for years. Good sounding speaker for the small size and I love the tactile ergonomics. Take it anywhere with it's small footprint. Fine performance take anywhere receiver for under $100 is the reason for Summary of-- Best Buy.

W9KDX Rating: 0/5 Aug 13, 2013 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Defective out of box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An otherwise good looking radio with an impressive set of features was spoiled by defects. Changing volume would randomly kick in the synch after a few presses and tuning would suddenly activate the page mode. The dealer I purchased it from said he had sent back nearly 100 units that were totally DOA.

Hard to understand why these bugs are showing up after this long in production, but I would avoid this unit. Too bad, I really was looking forward to using it.

KB8ASO Rating: 1/5 Jul 28, 2013 15:32 Send this review to a friend
unit has quality control issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really tried to like this little radio. It has a nice look and a synchronous detector but that's all. There is no way to tune in SSB signal without allowing the synchronous detector to lock on the signal. The fine-tuning control did not work out of the box. The battery recharge timer idea is cheesy and cheap. Mine had the updated 8 volt adapter so it was a more recently produced model. Quality control is hit or miss at best. I have recently purchased two of these and they both had issues. If you like a quest these may be for you. I feel that life is too short for this kind of aggravation.