Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig G3 with SSB Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig G3 with SSB
Grundig G3 with SSB Reviews: 42 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: The Grundig G3 Globe Traveler is an innovative portable radio covering long wave, AM, FM, continuous shortwave plus the VHF aircraft band. It features dual conversion AM/SW circuitry for exceptional sensitivity and image rejection. It offers S.S.B. - Single sideband reception. It has an large 700 channel memory system with memory scan and auto tuning storage. Unlike other portables in it class, the Globe Traveler offers Synchronous Detection. This special feature addresses the issue of selective fading and co-channel interference on shortwave. RDS (radio data system) shows FM callsigns, artist, song title and messages when available. External antenna jack for SW, FM, VHF Air. Requires four AA cells (not supplied). 6.614 x 4.13 x 1.1 inches. Supplied with manual, protective pouch and AC adapter/charger.

More info: http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=916030

You can write your own review of the Grundig G3 with SSB.

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2013 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this because of the synchronous detector, so I could listen to the ball games on AM without the annoying fading in and out. It works great! Then I noticed how well it picks up SSB stations on the amateur bands and also AM shortwave stations come in loud and clear. Takes a minute or two to figure out the memories, but once done, it's very convenient. I purchased 4 NiMH AA batteries from Radio Shack and now I use the recharge feature, too. Nice feature. Highly recommend.

W8IFI Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2013 22:23 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio. I'm impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this for about a month and busy with chores so not much time trying it out. Tonight with the antenna in the vertical position but not extended I could hear Brazil and Chile amateur stations pretty well! I have a lot of indoor interference from lights, wifi, and computer but could still make them out. Extended much better and with outside Windom excellent. I have a G5 that is also excellent and they compare closely in sensitivity. I think G5 has slight edge when listening to music in FM and AM. I like my Icom 718 and 725 and these compare well to those in receive. Pleased with my purchase. Sometimes buttons don't respond at first when turning on but a few tries and it's back to normal.

KD5SPJ Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2013 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Awesome little raido.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I rate it 5 for these reasons, great features for a small but substantial feeling radio. Great reception so far I have listened to a few SW and AM,FM BC stations. Sound is exceptional or a small speaker and sized radio. Display is very nice. Came with a super plush feeling carry case which I will leave it in when not in use. Buttons and the tuning knob feel good and not loose or cheesey in any way. I got it so cheap it is almost as if I stole it. I had a 10% off coupon, and a $10.00 off coupon since I bought a GS450DL from RS, and the radio was already on closeout for a paltry sum of $59.00 at Radio Shack. So it ended up costing me 43 dollars. Could not justify NOT getting it! PLUS I NEEDED a small SW radio and the only features lacking on the otherwise great GS450DL are SSB and Air band and this has them.

KJ6ELV Rating: 3/5 May 25, 2013 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Needs some work.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio has a lot of features for its size (SSB, SYNC, RDS, Aircraft band reception, recharges batteries, etc.)and provides a good bang for the buck.

Some issues I noticed:
The display on mine seems to be off by 3khz. For example if there is a station on 1530Khz, I have to tune to 1533Khz in order to tune it in properly. On 5 and 10 Mhz WWV I have to tune 3khz above in order to zero beat the signal. The sound quality on AM also sounds tinny and narrow even on the wide setting and I have to put the radio in sync mode in order for it to sound better.

On the FM broadcast band it seems that the signal has to be really strong in order to be received in stereo. Other radios in the same location that were receiving the same station were able to maintain a stereo signal and continuously decode the RDS of the FM station, however the Grundig would not maintain the signal and kept switching between mono and stereo and the RDS would only decode intermittently. The problem is that there is no way to manually switch the receiver between mono and stereo like you can on the G6.

This radio has a digital volume control, which makes it hard to get the volume you want, it is either too loud or too soft. For example, when listening to this radio in bed at nighttime I noticed that volume level 8 was too soft, but when I turned it up one notch to volume level 9 it was then too loud and there were no volume settings in between to get the volume I wanted.

Only the display and not the keypad is backlit, which makes it difficult to adjust the radio in the dark.

I am somewhat disappointed that they sacrificed some of the features on this radio that are on the lower-end G6 (such as a backlit keypad and the ability to manually switch between mono and stereo reception). I feel that Grundig could've done a better job on this radio.

WXMAN Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first radio like this, but it's made a great first impression. AM and FM are excellent, and better than any other radio I've owned. This was my first radio with the shortwave bands, so I didn't really know what to expect...but wow, I never realized all you can pull in this way. The sync feature also works wonders on some of the stations that come in a little weak. It makes them crystal clear. Just last night and earlier this evening, I easily pulled in everything listed in English that short-wave.info listed plus many others that were in other languages. I'm very glad I decided on this model and though I've read some negative reviews, I haven't seen any of the issues present in my particular radio.

RC286 Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2013 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver if you are lucky.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Summary says it all. This receiver seems to be hit and miss. Some owners have terrible luck, others have great luck. Mine has been decent.

The receiver is fairly sensitive, works quite well with the built in telescoping whip, even better with and external antenna. It is fairly stable, and most of the features work as advertized. Good sound, very easy to tune SSB. Large frequency display is nice, and the backlight is handy. The radio will operate on a set of 1400mAh NiMh cells nearly half a day at moderate volume. In general I am pleased with it, but glad I bought it on sale not at its regular retail price.

Pros.
-Simple to use
-Fair selectivity
-decent sensitivity.
-good SSB and CW tone
-Stable frequency, even when sitting in the sun.
-Decent battery life.
-Small, lightweight and durable.

Cons.
-Sync detector does not work.
-Batteries take too long to charge. (approx 1hr per 100mAh)
-Charging batteries is done manualy by selecting charge time. Not a simple plug and charge setup.
-Poor construction of tuning control, mine does not track 100% anymore.
-Sensitivity drops off rapidly after 20m
-Picks up internal noise from internal computer while tuning more pronounced in a low noise area.
-Poor image rejection of strong AM signals.
-Battery meter is inaccurate.

I would recomend it, but only if you find it at a good price.

WOODWEASEL Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2012 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Late s/n's better.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can only relate to the unit I have purchased on a close out at Radio Shack at $89.99....I am most impressed! The build quality seems better than most, and the controls have been fairly easy to learn. Nice size, weight, and function with the anti-slip case finish. There's hardly anything that's perfect, but this G3 is a great value at the price...look around, there's several more available in the Detroit area RS stores. I very happy with mine.
The serial number on mine is 0122XX.

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2012 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Good deal for $99  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not bad. Just got mine but from NE Oregon using just the telescoping whip I was copying hams in Europe on 20 meters SSB

PINEAPPLEFRENZY Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, highly recommended.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Introduction:

Bought it from a Canadian dealer (early serial #). Experienced sync squeal, and later a total failure to receive all bands except FM. Called ETON. They were awesome. I sent it to them (they paid Int'l postage/UPS both ways), and they sent me another radio (late serial #). I'm reviewing the latter radio.

Packaging:

Other than to say the unit arrived intact, I won't review it. Has nothing to do with the functioning or operation of the product. They could have shipped it in a well packaged paper bag for all I care.

Manual:

Sparse and inaccurate in places. Adequate coverage of major functions. Obviously written by someone whose first language is not English. Photos would have been nice. Either way, no biggie.

Reception:

FM: Top notch. As good as a radio of this size could possibly sound. Stereo headphone sound is great. No EQ function, but not really necessary because it already sounds so good.

AM: Excellent. Sync makes weak, hard to hear stations (all AM stations where I live) clear enough to hear without straining. Wide / narrow functions as expected as does local / DX. Works well with a MW loop antenna. Good portable AM DX receiver.

SW BC: Excellent. Same as AM description.

SW HAM RX: Excellent++. Picked up a 2W QRP CW out of Europe on 80m (phenomenal conditions). Not bad at all. SSB fine tune gives just the right amount of control of modulation. A fine receiver for casual HAM DX RX.

LW: Not assessed. No stations nearby.

Air: Local ATIS comes in strong from 3.5nm. Otherwise not assessed.

Quality / Construction:

Well built unit. Feels solid in the hands. Buttons are hard plastic with a soft click and a solid "bottom" (as opposed to rubber buttons which feel like you could push right through to the other side of the radio). Tuning knob is plastic but feels solid enough. This is the only part of the radio I'm concerned about wearing out, only because I use it so much.

Features:

As advertized. I like the seemingly infinite number of (actually 700) memory presets. These function in any band making band switching unnecessary when moving between stations saved in memory. Excellent screen light. Excellent variable charging time feature. This lets you specify the charge time for batteries of different capacity. I wish the keypad lights up. No biggie.

Accessories:

Came with charger/DC adapter and an excellent padded carrying case.

Summary:

A compact portable dripping with quality and features. Highly recommend the G3 to anyone considering a compact portable, even if you're only interested in AM/FM.

PROs:

- Excellent reception in all bands assessed (FM/AM/SW).
- Teriffic sound.
- Quality materials and construction.

CONs:
- Marginally adequate owner's manual.
- I suspect the tuning knob may be the first part to wear out. Solid so far though. I'm really picky when it comes to rotating parts that get used a lot. There's a good chance my fears will turn out to be unfounded.
- Keys not back-lit.

I was unlucky and received an early model which, as I said above, was promptly replaced when it was clear the unit was not functioning properly.

The bottom line:
In my opinion, there are no radios in this price category that can outperform the G3, with the exception of possibly the Tecsun PL-660 (which I have never used). I think the G3 wins the beauty contest though, thus tipping the balance in it's favor.

Great radio, highly recommend.

N7FAE Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2012 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Best All Around SW Portable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned three of these, returned the first two and have kept the last. I was trying to replace my Sony SW55 and 7600GR which is a hard thing to do, but this is now my best all around Shortwave Portable.
What I Like: Great manual tuning with no 'chuffing', alpha memories, good sync, great audio on internal speaker, good size, good sensitivity, not having to set a bunch of switches to switch between SSB, AM & SYNC, wonderful backlight.
What I Don't Like: Long Antenna, pushing keys and sometimes getting another number or function, 'muddy' audio with earphones (no matter which ones I use).