Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig G3 with SSB Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig G3 with SSB
Grundig G3 with SSB Reviews: 37 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: The Grundig G3 Globe Traveler is an innovative portable radio covering long wave, AM, FM, continuous shortwave plus the VHF aircraft band. It features dual conversion AM/SW circuitry for exceptional sensitivity and image rejection. It offers S.S.B. - Single sideband reception. It has an large 700 channel memory system with memory scan and auto tuning storage. Unlike other portables in it class, the Globe Traveler offers Synchronous Detection. This special feature addresses the issue of selective fading and co-channel interference on shortwave. RDS (radio data system) shows FM callsigns, artist, song title and messages when available. External antenna jack for SW, FM, VHF Air. Requires four AA cells (not supplied). 6.614 x 4.13 x 1.1 inches. Supplied with manual, protective pouch and AC adapter/charger.

More info: http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=916030

You can write your own review of the Grundig G3 with SSB.

RC286 Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2013 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver if you are lucky.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Summary says it all. This receiver seems to be hit and miss. Some owners have terrible luck, others have great luck. Mine has been decent.

The receiver is fairly sensitive, works quite well with the built in telescoping whip, even better with and external antenna. It is fairly stable, and most of the features work as advertized. Good sound, very easy to tune SSB. Large frequency display is nice, and the backlight is handy. The radio will operate on a set of 1400mAh NiMh cells nearly half a day at moderate volume. In general I am pleased with it, but glad I bought it on sale not at its regular retail price.

Pros.
-Simple to use
-Fair selectivity
-decent sensitivity.
-good SSB and CW tone
-Stable frequency, even when sitting in the sun.
-Decent battery life.
-Small, lightweight and durable.

Cons.
-Sync detector does not work.
-Batteries take too long to charge. (approx 1hr per 100mAh)
-Charging batteries is done manualy by selecting charge time. Not a simple plug and charge setup.
-Poor construction of tuning control, mine does not track 100% anymore.
-Sensitivity drops off rapidly after 20m
-Picks up internal noise from internal computer while tuning more pronounced in a low noise area.
-Poor image rejection of strong AM signals.
-Battery meter is inaccurate.

I would recomend it, but only if you find it at a good price.

WOODWEASEL Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2012 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Late s/n's better.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can only relate to the unit I have purchased on a close out at Radio Shack at $89.99....I am most impressed! The build quality seems better than most, and the controls have been fairly easy to learn. Nice size, weight, and function with the anti-slip case finish. There's hardly anything that's perfect, but this G3 is a great value at the price...look around, there's several more available in the Detroit area RS stores. I very happy with mine.
The serial number on mine is 0122XX.

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2012 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Good deal for $99  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not bad. Just got mine but from NE Oregon using just the telescoping whip I was copying hams in Europe on 20 meters SSB

PINEAPPLEFRENZY Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, highly recommended.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Introduction:

Bought it from a Canadian dealer (early serial #). Experienced sync squeal, and later a total failure to receive all bands except FM. Called ETON. They were awesome. I sent it to them (they paid Int'l postage/UPS both ways), and they sent me another radio (late serial #). I'm reviewing the latter radio.

Packaging:

Other than to say the unit arrived intact, I won't review it. Has nothing to do with the functioning or operation of the product. They could have shipped it in a well packaged paper bag for all I care.

Manual:

Sparse and inaccurate in places. Adequate coverage of major functions. Obviously written by someone whose first language is not English. Photos would have been nice. Either way, no biggie.

Reception:

FM: Top notch. As good as a radio of this size could possibly sound. Stereo headphone sound is great. No EQ function, but not really necessary because it already sounds so good.

AM: Excellent. Sync makes weak, hard to hear stations (all AM stations where I live) clear enough to hear without straining. Wide / narrow functions as expected as does local / DX. Works well with a MW loop antenna. Good portable AM DX receiver.

SW BC: Excellent. Same as AM description.

SW HAM RX: Excellent++. Picked up a 2W QRP CW out of Europe on 80m (phenomenal conditions). Not bad at all. SSB fine tune gives just the right amount of control of modulation. A fine receiver for casual HAM DX RX.

LW: Not assessed. No stations nearby.

Air: Local ATIS comes in strong from 3.5nm. Otherwise not assessed.

Quality / Construction:

Well built unit. Feels solid in the hands. Buttons are hard plastic with a soft click and a solid "bottom" (as opposed to rubber buttons which feel like you could push right through to the other side of the radio). Tuning knob is plastic but feels solid enough. This is the only part of the radio I'm concerned about wearing out, only because I use it so much.

Features:

As advertized. I like the seemingly infinite number of (actually 700) memory presets. These function in any band making band switching unnecessary when moving between stations saved in memory. Excellent screen light. Excellent variable charging time feature. This lets you specify the charge time for batteries of different capacity. I wish the keypad lights up. No biggie.

Accessories:

Came with charger/DC adapter and an excellent padded carrying case.

Summary:

A compact portable dripping with quality and features. Highly recommend the G3 to anyone considering a compact portable, even if you're only interested in AM/FM.

PROs:

- Excellent reception in all bands assessed (FM/AM/SW).
- Teriffic sound.
- Quality materials and construction.

CONs:
- Marginally adequate owner's manual.
- I suspect the tuning knob may be the first part to wear out. Solid so far though. I'm really picky when it comes to rotating parts that get used a lot. There's a good chance my fears will turn out to be unfounded.
- Keys not back-lit.

I was unlucky and received an early model which, as I said above, was promptly replaced when it was clear the unit was not functioning properly.

The bottom line:
In my opinion, there are no radios in this price category that can outperform the G3, with the exception of possibly the Tecsun PL-660 (which I have never used). I think the G3 wins the beauty contest though, thus tipping the balance in it's favor.

Great radio, highly recommend.

N7FAE Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2012 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Best All Around SW Portable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned three of these, returned the first two and have kept the last. I was trying to replace my Sony SW55 and 7600GR which is a hard thing to do, but this is now my best all around Shortwave Portable.
What I Like: Great manual tuning with no 'chuffing', alpha memories, good sync, great audio on internal speaker, good size, good sensitivity, not having to set a bunch of switches to switch between SSB, AM & SYNC, wonderful backlight.
What I Don't Like: Long Antenna, pushing keys and sometimes getting another number or function, 'muddy' audio with earphones (no matter which ones I use).

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Rx  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I also got my Grundig G3 on sale at The Source last April wow is that ever a great a great little Coat Pocket portable receiver! I waited for a while to review the little Radio. Mine is a later serial# 2011 version and when the propagation is good the Sync AM works great. I think these days with on goooooing poor propagation results in a lot of bad reviews for many rigs. No radio will give great results when the bands are dead from Solar Flares. With the proper U/Lsb injection frequencies and Dual bandwidth selectivity and Fine Tuning Control SSB tuning is almost as easy as a Ham Transceiver. This little radio outguns the DX-390 & 398 versions of Sangean Portables I compared then several times. The only Portable that comes close to this Grundig is the 25 year old ATS-803 I did the mod on to activate the Dual Bandwidths like the later ATS-803A has. SSB tuning is poor on the DX-390 and ATS-803 and whip antenna sensitivity is way better on the Grundig then any of the 3 of my Sangean portables. My 398 is better then most 398 or 909's for whip antenna sensitivity adequate but a little deaf when comparing to my G3. I hope others will pick up on these great little Pocket Book Receivers the later production ones are great the bugs are now ironed out. Grab one before they are gone.
Gerry VE7BGP

VE3QTH Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Great for the Sale Price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, the is as Good as it gets under $100 and is
Feature Rich: SSB, RDS, 700 Memories, FM/AM/AIR/SW, DX/LX, external Antenna port, Alarm clock, Signal Strength, wallwart, case, and so much more. Typical German Quality. I paid $49cdn. at The Source on clearance. I liked it so much I bought 5 of them, but kept just 3(two friends benefitted)

Down side:
Small buttons and hard to see. Sensitivity helped greatly by extenal antenna(just the way I like it). That's it.

I have many SW radios, but none have more features than my G3's. I thank my friend (MKX)for giving me the head's up.
I love this little radio. VE3QTH

DXTUNER Rating: 3/5 Jan 12, 2012 18:23 Send this review to a friend
I don't like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Almost back to back I bought a Tecsun PL-600 and this Grundig G3. My plan was to keep the better radio. This Grundig G3 is going right back to Radio Shack.

The G3 has good SW sensitivity (below 20 MHz it does) but that's where the good ends. The Tecsun PL-600 has better MW sensitivity and far superior audio all around. The G3's audio is kind of muffled. The PL-600 has rather amazing sound in all modes.

The Grundig has VHF Airband, but let me tell you its deaf there. Even with an external wire it is. I am a seasoned airband listener.

I go as high as 3 stars for this radio only because its sensitivity was good on the lower HF bands. The unclear and sometimes hissy audio repulsed me right off though. The PL-600 is a much better portable general coverage radio.

ROBWIN12000 Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2011 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one of these radios from Radio Shack . Checked it out on the AM broadcast band with some stations that are hard to get on any AM radio . What I found out is this radio has the need for a antenna tuner for the AM band . I went to Radio Shack and bought another Grundig G3 and had the same problem [exactly] . With all this said I turned on the sinc control and got a lot better results on the AM band , but not excellent . I also checked out the S.W band and the selectivity & sensitivity are excellent , this is where this receiver really shines . I got some faint stations and turned on the sinc control and the receiver really came alive , WOW . I also checked out the FM band and not bad for what it receives , selectivity & sensitivity are good . It also has RDS on FM band and you can see the call letters of the station you are listening to across the screen and the name of the tune you are listening to . The aircraft band is also nice to have and to listen to . It also has Long Wave . Now the Sinc control really works , as good as the one on the Sony ICF 7600 .

KB9AZZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2011 15:04 Send this review to a friend
This radio is what I expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too could not decide if I wanted the Sony or the Grundig. I could get either at a good price $130.00 but the Grundig was sold at a local dealer and the Sony would have been mail order only for me. Unlike the previous poster I did not find my radio to have an overload or Sync problem. I found tuning HAM SSB signals touchy, the fine tune wheel helps. I have operated my radio mostly in the evening and found DX AM Shortwave listening to be just fine with or without an external antenna. I have a local noise issue with the AM Medium Wave Band that this radio is very prone to. My Sangean CC Radio is able to deal with this problem very well. Additionally I noticed some noise being generated internal to the radio when operating from battery on the AM MW Band. However I did not purchase this radio for AM MW listening. I found the memory page layout great and easy to organize. Also the cut and paste function is very usefull. The user guide could use some work. Most functions are explained well enough however I found the manual to be the bare minimum. This is my only portable shortwave radio, I have two fullsized HF transcievers and these perform much differently than this compact radio. Overall I find the G3 to be very functional and useful.