Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | PUXING PX-888 Help

Reviews Summary for PUXING PX-888
PUXING PX-888 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $$65
Description: Newest Multi-function Radio with Alphanumeric, Dot Matrix LCD and Built-in FM Radio, PMR or Amateur
Model Number:PX-888
More info: http://www.pxdz.com/english/index.asp

You can write your own review of the PUXING PX-888.

AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2012 23:04 Send this review to a friend
I rate this a 5+++++  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased mine just to see if it was a real piece of junk compared to the Wouxun HT.
When it arrived and it came in 3 days,I opened the box but I was tired so I put in the receive frequency for the one repeater that has a 1 meg split.
I laid down and started dozing off when the HT burst into a room full of audio.
I ordered an extra pack then ordered the heavy duty pack and also the Speaker MIC for $9.99.
I tried the Wouxun MIC and it worked but the Wouxun MIC is $6.00 more.
I got a couple repeaters put in and I received very good audio reports.
So I have to give this HT a 5++++.
It is as light as a feather and the YL is now thinking of getting her TECH license back.
Also I have a simplex repeater on the way so I intend to drag some locals back into activity.
But this HT for the price with a good battery for $89.00 just can't be beat.
The weather station just booms in and on the VX8GR its very scratchy.
Battery life is much longer then the VX8GR so that another big plus.
Very happy with the China HT's
BOB
AF2Q

RAINS Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2012 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice little radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had 2 of the UHF ones for a wile. The TX was better than my vx-7r and the FM radio receiver was great. I really like the audio output of the radios. Loud and clear. Compared to some newer chi-com radios they are a little pricey. Still I liked them much more than my UV-5R. Audio output was much much better. Honestly I think they are an ok first radio. I plan on getting one of the never dual band ones soon! Gave it a 4 because one of the radios had to go back for a bad tone board. Still it was replaced for free. Avoid buying on ebay. try 409 radio shop.

BG4IYI Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2011 20:08 Send this review to a friend
good value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
puxing px-888 is good value.
note that:the http://www.pxdz.com/english/index.asp had broken now. i think you can see the details in www.puxingradio.com

KI6WDZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 20, 2011 23:21 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for a couple of years and use it infrequently, but when tested against my Yaesu VX-7R, or my Alinco DJ-G1T I've found that it sounds just as good and picks up signals equally as well as its higher priced brethren. It punches through to the local repeaters just fine too. The downside of this radio is that the programming controls are not as user friendly, and the operating manual leaves a lot to be desired. Having said that, if you take enough time to get used to the quirks of the radio, it will do just fine. If I were purchasing my first radio, I'd recommend saving for a little while longer and then buy a Yaesu FT-60R. It's bullet-proof, easy to use, and there's no end of other users who can help you with any questions. As a "play" radio Puxing has been lots of fun though. No real complaints.

HC6PE Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2010 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Worth the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got one of these a month ago.. has been working since then... I drilled a bigger second hole for the mic to improve the voice tx.. but besides that.. it is worth the price

MM0IMC Rating: 2/5 Aug 1, 2010 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Dodgy Channel Changer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A friend of mine bought one of these last year from Hong Kong via eBay. It worked well at first and then the channel change/VFO rotary dial started to misbehave after a couple of months, it now jumps either frequency or through the memory channels at random on it's own. It would cost too much to send back to the Far East for repairs!

MM1EWA Rating: 4/5 Jul 27, 2010 01:47 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the price its hard to go wrong.

Michael - MM1EWA/KD0LEJ

YO3IDN Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2010 04:59 Send this review to a friend
Very good for the money!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Let's be fair, for the money you pay for it is a whole lot of radio! I don't think you can find better in this price range.
I bought 3 VHF units new, all of them work great, the only complaint is one of them came with the cracked plastic over the display, not really a big issue. The reason for giving a 4 instead of a 5 is the muffled audio, but not so bad as is in the 777 model. Totally solved by buying an external speaker/mike, wich is great for outdoor activities.
Side-by-side with my Kenwood TH-F7 proved to be at least as sensitive, if not better. The output power is a solid 5W (or more) on the entire band.
I think of it as a very cheap disposable radio for current activities and can be handed over to friends without any regrets.

K5WAG Rating: 0/5 Sep 2, 2009 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Crap  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought 3 and only 1 stll works.

KB7RQQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2009 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Not too bad.. better than expected actually!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I bought the Puxing (pronounced 'pooo-shing') PX-888 handheld the other day. I needed some radios for the MURS frequencies to use at our cabin as FRS just wasn't making the trip from the lake to the cabin and I didn't want to license GMRS and have the same problem. I opened my Yaesu VX-5r's but didn't want to hand that radio to a guest and worry about it getting damaged or run the risk of a non-licensed user transmitting out of band.

It's really hard to find an inexpensive MURS radio... and I need a few. So I decided to spend the $60 for the radio and $15 for shipping and take the gamble.

I purchased the radio from the ebay seller 'radiogearpro' and noticed that these radios are packaged in many different ways so make sure you look at every listing. I got the radio, drop-in charger, hands free ear-piece, programming cable, and software for $60! not too shabby. I received the radio in 7-days from china and was pleasantly suprised at the the quality look and feel for the price.

It's not a Motorola in any sense.. but it's pretty stout and the software is finally usable if you download version-3 from the Puxing site. You need to brush up on your Chinglish a bit ;-)

THE BAD:

1) The radio seems to be plagued with the same problem as the PX-777 in that the transmit audio is muffled. The radio is very easy to disassemble and videos can be found on Youtube by searching for 409shops. The method is the same as the PX-777. I dremeled the mic hole out a bit from the back and it sounds a bit better, looks fine and made it much more useable.

2) The radio ships frequency wide-open. But the software allows you to program 128 channels and lock the radio. At that point it takes a few key strokes to get it back to VFO for direct entry but will always power-up in channel mode to cut down the chance of someone transmitting out of band. Other than that.. no complaints really.

THE GOOD:

You definitely get more than you pay for in my opinion and it seems to reach and receive about the same as my VX-5 on some distant repeaters.

The software lets you do EVERYTHING. It's spreadsheet based with drop down menus allowing you to set TX and RX freqs, power settings (2-watts on MURS), you can include and exclude the entry in your scan, change the backlite color, etc.

The radio is really a joy to use and seems to be pretty well built. I'd say it's worth the money.