Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Amperor APP 300 25 Amp DC power supply Help

Reviews Summary for Amperor APP 300 25 Amp DC power supply
Amperor APP 300  25 Amp DC power supply Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $49 or under 30 GBP
Description: SPECIFICATIONS

Input 90V - 132V AC or 180V - 265V AC 6.5A Max (user Selected Switch)
Output 12V - 15V DC 25A (350W) Max
Over Temperature
Short Circuit
Built-in EMI Filter and PFC
Automatic Fan Speed Control
Dimensions 181mm(l) x 148mm(w) x 66mm(h)
Weight Approx 1.5 Kg
Input Standard AC Mains Supply IEC Socket (Lead not supplied)
Output Standard cigarette lighter socket and +/- DC 4mm Posts

This is an absolute dream - 25 amps for under 30 GBP. Both my PSUs have been on test now for a number of days driving linear amps and I can find nothing wrong with them. No interference with local desktop radio equipments and the cooling fan has hardly had to run. At under 30 GBP, its a real bargain - grab em while you can !!
More info: http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/products/300W-12v_Power_Supply.asp

You can write your own review of the Amperor APP 300 25 Amp DC power supply.

G8JNJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2010 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for the price - RF noise can be reduced  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one of these which I use with an HF transceiver.

There is a small amount of radiated RF noise which can be considerably reduced with a quick modification.

Drill a small hole near the DC 0v terminal. Fit a nut, bolt, star washer and solder tag and connect a short wire between the tag and 0V terminal.

Connect a 0.1uF capacitor (ideally ceramic) with as short a set of leads as possible across the DC output terminals. Another 0.1uF between the +ve and chassis connection may also help slightly.

Wind the DC output cable a few times through a suitable size ferrite ring. I'd also do this with the mains supply cable. In both cases, wind the cable as close to the supply as possible.

These modifications reduce the radiated emissions by at least 10dB.

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

MM0IMC Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2010 00:00 Send this review to a friend
OK, but produces QRM.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this PSU last summer direct from the Amperor office here in Irvine, Scotland.

At first I thought it was a great wee supply and my club were suitably impressed with it. I can power up a full 100W HF radio no problem and has no problem coping with that type of current draw, we tested it at the club shack at 100W PEP and it did the job well.

On the downside, I've been getting drifting carriers and 'birdies' throughout the HF bands for sometime now, sometimes up to S9. This has caused me to miss some QSO's and DX contacts because of this QRM. I was blaming an errant nearby PSU perhaps off of a neighbours' PC, etc. It turned out the problem my own Amperor PSU. This was confirmed when a friend with the same model told me of his experience.

I guess you only get what you pay for, this cost me 23 UK Stirling. I wish I'd bought a large linear type PSU instead, it would have cost about four times as much, but at least there would be no noise!

General opinion - probably okay for VHF/UHF, but unless your willing to put up with the QRM, I wouldn't use it on HF.

GM0HKS Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2009 01:45 Send this review to a friend
A real bargain _ extremely friendly company  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first heard of Amperor through a fellow radio ham who paid a visit to the company down in Ayrshire, Scotland. Extremely friendly team who have been most helpful. The power supplies are presented in a very neat "off white" coloured casing. LED display is extremely neat. I ran both supplies in support of linear amps I have in the shack and, I cannot find any issue with them. Quiet, with a tidy cooling fan on the rear of the casing fitted internally, both units have worked without fault. At the price they are being advertised, it is a dream. Look at other radio emporium websites and see what you will be charged for a 25 amp DC PSU and its fairly academic. The manufacturer has hinted that there will be a price rise but not above Thirty Pounds Stirling. This is great news. Get away from tradional thinking that only the well known amateur fraternity suppliers work and invest in at least one of these PSUs. I have no pecuniary interest in the company; just an everyday radio amateur who has had it brought to his attention that there are still a number of honourable companies out there selling goods at an affordable price. Grab one and see for yourself.