Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Elecraft K1 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft K1
Elecraft K1 Reviews: 138 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $279
Description: 4-band QRP CW kit
More info: http://www.elecraft.com/K1/K1.htm

You can write your own review of the Elecraft K1.

N8CEP Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2012 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm sure QRP would work great on a K1 on 10 and 12 meters. I certainly know 80, 40, 30 and 20 work great. I am going to try installing an X-Lock 3 circuit to tame some of the VFO drift that occurs when the radio is first turned on. Well there you go. A review of the K1 from someone who actually OWNS one.

-----------------

I wish to clarify my previous review. The K1 works well on 40, 30, 20 and 17/15 meters. 80 meters is not an option.

ON6AB Rating: 3/5 Feb 19, 2012 01:08 Send this review to a friend
I don't get it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I very well believe all reviews listed here. I'm sure the K1 is a wonderful rig.
I really would like to build one but as long as Elecraft does not include a 10m and 12m option, I'm not going to.
Every qrp addict should know the golden rule:
"The lower the frequency, the harder it gets".

I don't understand what could be so difficult including the most interesting qrp bands in a qrp rig.
Especially while we're heading for a sunspot max.
3/5, that's a deduction of 1 point per band.

ON6ZK Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2012 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently bought a second hand K1 with optional built in NB and ATU . Having used amps during contest and pile-ups I was not realy convinced about getting QRP on the air ! Well, I must admit ....the satisfaction you experience from working a station 3 or 4000 miles away with only a few watts is much more rewarding than running a KW ! These days I have my K1 on 99 % of the time. I love to play around CW on 14060 ( the QRP freq ) and work lots of stations in a row. I admit that I'm using a big 4 element yagi monoband. I going to hang up my home made wire dipole for 20 meters one of the next days. This will complete my QRP profile ! Look for you guys on the air. Oh ! by the way , I use my vanity call when I'm operating CW QRP and this is : OR0A !
Hope to see you on the air with my wonderful K1 ! It has a great receiver !

KG7RS Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 19:47 Send this review to a friend
A Great Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Folks,

Just finished K1 #3112. What a great little radio! Truly a pleasure to build - it brought back fond memories of building K2 #1696 nearly 12 years ago. I had forgotten the quality level and precision built into these kits. The modular cabinet alone is genius.

Building my 4-band K1 took around 30 hours including parts inventory (no shortages) & grouping/organizing parts for quick retrieval during assembly. Errata sheets which were previously issued have now been consolidated into a very recent revision of the K1 owners manual. There was one Errata sheet for the 4-band module. The main manual (which covers assembly & alignment of the 2-band module) refers the builder seamlessly to the 4-band module manual and back with complete clarity. The radio worked perfectly the first time without issue. Alignment was intuitive and not overly critical. I did have to rewind the 33-turn VFO toroid as the PWB pads for the leads suggests spacing the windings to cover less than 90% of the toroid. The leads were pulled tight, soldered and clipped precluding the turns from being spread out later. Upon checking the VFO frequency range, I quickly learned it would not tune high enough to allow coverage of the low end of the bands as my installation wouldn't allow more than 75% toroid coverage. I rewound the VFO toroid to cover the entire toroid and left one of the leads slightly long to "reach back" to one of the two PWB holes to compensate for the wide-spaced holes. This did the trick - the VFO would now tune high enough to allow the VFO to tune to the bottom of the bands and a even a bit below. I considered removing one turn which likely would have resulted in a similar improvement.

I can add very little beyond what others have said about the K1. The key thing that impressed me is the outstanding signal-to-noise ratio. This is a very quiet yet very sensitive receiver. Background noise is quite low and very weak signals easily stand out. This radio just begs to be operated. It's cute, intuitive and quite capable. I find it far more enjoyable to operate for long stretches than my mainstream Japanese transceiver due to greatly reduced white noise.

There have been many comments made about frequency drift in the K1 - and this has been the primary reason I've abstained from messing with one over the years. My K1 is essentially drift-free. I wonder why some ops experience drift ranging from noticeable to profound with the K1 - perhaps variations in components and/or installation. Also, I haven't yet operated this radio in the field where it will be exposed to temp extremes. I suppose some drift is to be expected with a non-synthesized design such as this but my example has been very stable.

Key words of advice to prospective K1 builders - Identify & organize/group all parts before starting to build. Properly strip all toroid leads and ensure no enamel lead insulation enters the plated-thru hole in the PWB before soldering. Take your time and enjoy yourself.

The K1 has been around quite awhile and is still among the best multi-band CW kits out there. I hope it will be around for years to come. This is a substantial project which will give a new builder a complete building experience - and - a serious transceiver once completed. Considering the well-executed design and exemplary construction manual, I would consider the K1 suitable (and recommended!) for a new builder - with or without an Elmer standing by.

73, John, KG7RS

KC5CQD Rating: 3/5 Sep 11, 2011 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Enough with the Eratta Sheets!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just completed my third Elecraft kit and my second K1 and it worked great at power up. No problems, whatsoever. The radio is a definite "5" but I have to admit that the "Eratta Sheets" like to drove me nuts! Come on, Elecraft....isn't it time for a revamp of the main instruction book? With the kind of money that is shelled out for one of these kits...my latest was $650.00, fully loaded...the last thing we need to be doing is living in fear of not transcribing some "change order" from an Eratta Sheet to the instruction book and thereby ruining the entire project! Not to mention having to shell out another couple of hundred bucks shipping it back and having a technician figure out the problem. It's a great finished radio but the assembly was much less than enjoyable due to all of the "Eratta Sheets" and my constant fear of missing something written as an after-thought. Considering what these kits cost, the instructions should be simple and straightforward with no guessing on the part of the customer.

K4YND Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2011 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently finished #2999. It was my first kit and I had very little trouble. Don from the Elecraft reflector helped me with a couple of small issues. ( I had a jumper in the wrong position) It is total satisfaction to hear crisp loud CW coming out of a radio you just built. Slowly building one is very relaxing. Whenever the XYL would turn on a cooking show, I would slip over the work station and put a hour in. In a short time I have already worked 12 states. My first contact on 20 was England. I hope to buy a k2 in the next year.

Here are some the things I like
1.) built by me
2.) Radio has a commercial look and feel to it
3.) All the features you need to work cw
4.) small lightweight low current drain- cant wait to take it camping
5.) drift - not a issue 200hz or so.. Just move it back to where it should be and it tends to stay.
6.) Price- not bad when you factor in the 20- 30 hours of great fun I had putting together.
7.) Elecraft support!
8.) quality of the parts
9.) you dont need any fancy test gear

Don
k4YND

WF8O Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2011 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just last weekend placed my K1 into service. I am very impressed with the sensitivity and selectivity of the receiver. The rig puts out slightly more than 7 watts onf 40,30, and 20 meters and about 5 watts on 1r meters. Power is adjustable from .1 watts to max out. The varialbe xtal filter is really handy. The audio is plentiful and good sounding. The rig replaces my PFR-3A and my FT-817 for daily QRP CW.

Sincerely, Mike WF8O

N8UW Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2010 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Rugged lil beast  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built number 1239 years ago, and added everything except the tilt stand, I put a set of Palm Mini Paddles on the side instead. Paddles work great held to the side of the radio, and I can always find something to prop it up with.

I was never taught how to solder in all my electronics education! I built a simple dummy load, then jumped into this. I was able to troubleshoot about a half dozen boo-boos I made, the circuits are well designed, as is the documentation. There is a lot here, but it is not too tough to handle. I enjoyed the building experience. I use an oscilloscope to align, and have a nice set-up with all the needed tools.

I don't like the battery compartment so much, but since I can't come up with a better way to pack so much into so little space, I can't fault things too much. I have noticed using rechargeable batteries will not give me full power out, still plenty to make contacts with, though. With a 13.8V supply or good batteries, there is about 7 watts available.

I agree about consolidating the documentation, I have about half a dozen different pieces I need to put into one folder, both hard copies and the electronic versions. I'll do that some day. I noticed the online community, but I really haven't had a need for much technical support. And, the designers and owners come here to Dayton every year, if I want to ask a question. I bought a two band board to add 80M and 17M, after a chat with Eric or the other guy, about details of switching it in and out.

The tuner is great, I have been able to get really creative with antennas in the field. A BNC adaptor with post connections, some thin rope, two wires, and something to throw over a tree limb will do fine.

I am rough on stuff, this unit has been stuffed into my backpack, and my dog's backpack, with little consideration for its well being. I've transmitted into open circuits, etc. several times. It was assembled by a beginner. It sat for a few years, and fired right back up. I've made hundreds of contacts, and look forward to more.

At home, my K1 also has a place on the desk and on the antenna switch, it performs great with my little pistol antennas. I like to listen to it as much as my TS-570, TS-830, and R-390A. Well, not as much as the R-390A, but you know, I can work on the boat anchors and kit radios. That's a big plus to me. If you want to build something high quality, rugged, QRP, full featured, and ready for home or field use, I really recommend you check out the K1. They tell me they will continue to sell and support it, yipee!

W9HC Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Bravo!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my K1-4 after some delay and hesitation. Then, after more than a year later, I decided to build the radio. Now, a couple more years later, I am writing the review. So, I've had a nice chance to get to know this rig. It does everything it is supposed to do the way it is supposed to do it. I'll have some nitpicks to report, but don't let them disuade you from getting one of these neat little American radio kits. The radio is easy to operate and requires about a 1 hour learning curve (if that). The receiver is excellent and the output seems to be of good purity based solely on signal reports and limited bench testing. The keyer is quite sufficient, and the AF output is clean and of adequate volume.

The kit is NOT for beginners as another reviewer has noted. Nor is it a weekend quickie kit. Expect to work 30-50 hours over several days - if you are average to slightly above average in building skills. On the other hand, there is nothing so complicated that a talented newbie couldn't get it done if careful enough and patient enough.

Nitpicks:
1) Alignment of the K1-4 isn't easy. It IS easy to get it "in the ball park," but I wanted to be better than that.

2) The instructions for that little chuck of coax that runs under the main board need to be revised so that you don't end up short. Bottom line: cut it long and trim one end AFTER you have attached the other one and get a clearer picture of what's required.

3) At 40-ish dollars, the stand is severely overpriced. Twenty, maybe. Forty? Greedy.

4) My manual was a bit of a mess, with numerous updates and corrections to the corrections. Hey kids, why not have and offer an updated pdf version that has all the "corrections" correctly corrected? Or just reprint the darned thing.

Overall, this is a very nice little radio that provides a ton of fun in or out of the shack. The customer service and tech support were very good and - as it turned out - needed in my case.

The K1-4 is a well designed radio and a well manufactured and presented kit. I love mine...

Steve-
W9HC

N4OI Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2010 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Real CW Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My K1 was the first QRP kit I built about six years ago. The process was a blast and it functioned perfectly the first time -- no rework. It is the 4-band version with 40-30-20-15 meters plus the ATU and tilt stand, which is a very nice luxury, BTW. Although all my other QRP kits I built afterward were very cool and fun, they reside in a drawer -- to be tried out once in a while and then put back. But not so with the K1! It resides next to my FT-920, always connected to its own position on the coax switch. Perhaps conditions are improving, but I find that I am almost exclusively using the K1 these days. Even at six watts, my calls and CQs are almost always answered and my signal usually holds up over a long CW QSO. It just has a great sound from the little speaker and the silent QSK is flawless. The filters work great and I can follow drifting signals around with the RIT. Of course, the AGC is a little slow, but I rarely use the earbuds anyway so no problem. It is exquisitely small,very elegant (as in Ele-craft), and in summary -- a real, very capable CW rig. Guess it's my baby....
73 de Ken N4OI