Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Drake 2A Help

Reviews Summary for Drake 2A
Drake 2A Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$265
Description: All purpose receiver

You can write your own review of the Drake 2A.

STEVEQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2009 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Sensitive and sharp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well after many years away from "radio" I jumped back in as a SWL. While in the U.S. Navy I learned Morse Code and worked signal intercept. So I am back taking code and having a great time. Ok enough of the background, I wanted a vintage tube receiver so the first Drake I acquired was the 2A with all the extras including 10 xtals.

I am using only a long wire and this little Drake hears like it just came out of the factory. It can dig out code from any crowded band, though I have to admit I am still waiting to hear the 10 meter band, lets go sunspots.

While not as advanced as the later Drakes, I am looking for a good R-4B, I am completely pleased with its sensitive performance and lack of drift. The only downside I would say is getting a clear voice when I hear a rag chewing transmission. Voice does come in but not as well as I want, but then again I am only using a long wire. But as I mentioned I am interested in code not so much voice.

If you want a nice "little" sensitive rig for not a lot of money, find a good, clean 2A you will not be disappointed