Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BCT15X Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BCT15X
Uniden BCT15X Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$319.00
Description: A mobile and base radio scanner with conventional and trunked radio systems monitoring support.
More info: http://www.uniden.com/

You can write your own review of the Uniden BCT15X.

KC2FYA Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2017 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Getting Old  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this scanner about two years ago. The scanner works very well but where I live in Central NJ, most State agencies have migrated to APCO-25, DMR, or NJICS which the unit does not cover. Otherwise it is great for conventional systems and "earlier" trunking systems. There are many features and selections. I will keep it until I am able to purchase an updated one.

K2FIX Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2016 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Very Good !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I waited till I was past most of the learning curve to comment, in fairness to the unit and my review. I understand the frustration of others, but read on....

My prior scanner was an 895XLT, which died after many years. I wanted alpha tags and faster scan, along with digital squelch. I considered SDR but for my local public safety, and river/air traffic in summer, it appeared overkill-plus I'd need another computer. I needed decent rejection, as I'm line of sight with some paging towers which would spill over on UHF Fire frequencies with the 895.

I live in an area with 99% conventional. I can't comment on trunking-there isn't much nearby.

You will need a computer to program it. You probably can program by hand, but why ? I have 350 or so channels, some have DCS, some PL, and most are open. My location is high enough that I can usually hear my local outlet, and often a co channel occupant 20 miles away, so I have to PL/DCS to keep the gadget from hanging on the distant signal, always just enough to break squelch.

This thing is fast. Much faster than the older unit. Having unlimited banks is easier than trying to juggle channels among defined banks. Freescan works pretty well, and I was able to program the unit with minimal issue once Freescan was sorted. No rejection issues. Using Close Call, I only picked up my local PD, but CC works-I just don't have much close enough to trigger it.

You can give priority to multiple sources-I have three local channels listed-and it will still check them even while scanning/searching.

The part that causes confusion is that you program a System, and under that, your Groups. You will eventually end up with banks, a lockout button, and your normal scanner functionality, but it takes a while. Program with computer, upload.

Get a copy of the "easier to read" manual. Then take the unit, and spend some time with it and go through every function enumerated by hand. It is a long trip from your classic scanner to this, but in the last 20 years, your TV, computer and cell phone have changed too.

There are still one or two bits I'm working on, mostly turning on and off search banks plus scan-I'm also haven't yet mastered the bandscope. The function sets are layered, so you have function plus button, and there is a lot going on. Keep the ETR guide handy.

Kudos to the sensitivity. Local troopers set up a radar trap in the 155 mhz range, with simplex mobiles 7 or so miles away,over hills. My 746 pro was pretty much dead even with the 15x pulling these fluttery and weak signals out of the air, which is pretty good since the 15x was 10% of the price. I'm hearing competing users on local PS frequencies I've never heard before, getting back to the need for PL....

TL:DR. Must be computer literate. Learning curve is straight up till it suddenly levels off. Good radio, very fast, very sensitive.

2E1VAR Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2016 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Amazing radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Okay, for starters this rados memory works totally differently to anything you have used before. Try to figure it out from prodding buttons or even using the manual and you will get lost. I use the Butel software to enter the memories but could have done it manually with the help of youtube. I've owned most of the scanners that are available and this baby wipes the floor with them. lightning fast scanning, great sensitivity, loads of features and amazing memory flexability. Of all the scanners I've owned (and I've had them all) this is by far the best. Ignore the bad reviews, those guys just didn't take the time to understand the amazing features of this great radio. I've owned UBC9000, UBC360, UBC125, AR8600, AR1000, VR500, Pro 2006, 2042, 26, Yupi 7000, 7100, 8000. IC-R2. This beats them all by miles !!!

K6MTT Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Great non-digital scanner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm amused by the number of reviews that downrate these radios (DMA scanners) because they are "hard" to program. As hams, you would think technology would be embraced rather than rejected. The old bank-and-channel programming looks stupid compared to DMA, yet it was fine when it was the only thing. All DMA means is that memory is allocated to the things you create, you aren't forced to fit inside 10 banks of 100 channels or whatever. You simply define your systems for each thing you want to listen to and then make groups of channels (or talkgroups for trunk systems). You can turn them on and off at will - it's a great way to listen. Having said all that, the radios are decently average scanning receivers. They are not better than the older versions, and not worse either. Since the BCT15X is not digital, there are no arguments about the ability to receive this or that digital modulation - it's a strictly analog receiver. It can do trunking though. I don't use the "beartracker" stuff - it's pretty useless. The fixed methodology of looking for mobile extenders is going away with increased use of digital radios for extenders. All in all, this is a solid radio that is a joy to use and program via the computer. Once you "get" DMA, you will love it, and it will make this the most flexible scanner you have ever owned. (I also have a BCD996XT and BCD396XT which are digital, but share the DMA aspect). I have one master file to program them all.

KD7WNJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2014 17:59 Send this review to a friend
New to uniden but I like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had this for a few days, but I will say, DMA is a pain to get used to. However, once you get the hang of how it works and how to use it, it's not bad and is VERY efficient, don't think I'll ever fill all the memory up!!!

Also, you don't absolutely NEED a PC (sorry mac users, though there is bootcamp) and software, I programmed mine by hand and it works great.

Yes, the manual SUCKS, go to Mark's easier to read manual for this thing, 1000 times better.

And for all the naysayers, yes there is a learning curve to this thing, but you just need to sit down and mess with it for a little bit and figure it out bit by bit and you'll probably learn to enjoy it.

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2014 11:28 Send this review to a friend
love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two if these now. I gave $189 for each of them. I love them, they replaced a dead ratshack 2006. I have no trunking in my area, so they are used for conventional scanning . I mainly program with the software. But everyone was complaining about how hard they are to program from the face. So I decided to try and learn to program them from the face. It was really not hard at all, even without a manual. I took less then 15 min to figure it out. I now use face programing all the time to program a quick freq.

The things I really like about this unit is:

1:The price. $189 I gave $400 for the ratshack 2006

2: I can program with the software and build a code plug. I can clone between units. and I can back the code plugs up.

3: I really like the fact It will use tone squelch. I have tones setup on everything that uses tones in my area.

4: The audio on these units it really top notch. Everyone that comes over is shocked at how good the audio is.

The only drawbacks I see for how I use the unit.

1: They get a little intermod, but only on my external yagi.
a: in all fairness everything I have ever owned has done this with an external antenna.

2: I was hoping for a little more scanning speed.
a: but it is on par with my old ratshack 2006 at 30 cps

Over all I am very pleased with the units and would love to have two more.

Anyone want some help with theirs shoot me an email.
KC7JNJ
Al

KC5MZD Rating: 2/5 Feb 9, 2014 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Useless POS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This scanner is an epic failure for someone that knows the frequency they want to monitor.
Even with a numeric keypad you still can't just enter a frequency and just start listening!!!!!!!!!!
With all the fancy modes you would think it would be easy to manually enter your repeaterís frequency hit enter start listening.
NOT SO!!
You have to hook it up to a PC and use aftermarket software purchased separately.
DO NOT BUY
Unless you have deep pockets and a couple of months to finish buying "extras" and setting them up.

AUSSIE Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got mine injuly of 2012 main intrest for me is monitoring the vhf airbands performance is excellent & as good as receivers from aor,icom and othe uniden scanners antenna is an Icom-AH7000 discone paired up wiyn an Mfj-1281 extension speaker lots of people always find something that they dont like but at the end of the day if most hooked up a decent antenna,good quality coax would have nothing to compain do have more then 40 receivers and anther 20 in dads shack.Well
done uniden.

N2DY Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2011 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Scanner, Very Poor Documentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being familiar with both the Uniden high end scanners and ARC software, I had no problem programming the BCT-15X via my computer using the Radio Reference web site. The scanner performs flawlessly. I am in an intermod alley near several commercial towers and with two high-powered FM broadcast stations about a mile away. I receive no intermod whatsoever. Sensitivity is excellent and scanning speed is more than adequate. The all metal build quality is very good.

That being said, I sympathize with those reviewers who find the radio too complex. While it is not for me, since I am familiar with predecessor models, the lack of a proper manual is a huge oversight by Uniden. The CD provided with the radio is useless. In addition, this radio requires software. Trying to program it manually is just a waste of time. For Uniden to refer you to ARC Software (which is very good) and have you purchae it separately is not the answer. The Scanner should come with it. Uniden has been very shortsighted by cheaping out and not providing a proper manual and proper software for this radio. They have made a great radio but then have blown it with poor execution on the little extras. The reviews here reveal that shortfall. I am a big Uniden scanner fan. I have over 20 of them. I hope they listen and learn their lesson for next time.

WA1DMX Rating: 2/5 Jul 12, 2011 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Not What I expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not anyway near normal after trying to figure this scanner out even with ARC XT PRO Software.
If any manufacturer's read these
reviews - STOP Making Scanners with DMA memory.
This is worse than my BCT-396t scanner.
If you ever loaded it up with allot of systems, you would miss an awful lot of transmissions.
S L O W Scanning with only 30 conventional channels.
Wish the bct-8 had pl/dpl option!!
I've owned allot of scanners. These new DMA scanners are awful.
Also get allot of Intermod from local Weather Transmitter. Don't get it on my Icom even with a preamp.
I'll keep it short, Don't like it, am going to sell it and stick with my ICOM PCR-1500, Good OLD Bearcat 780XLT and other old scanners.

73's, Mike