Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Array Solutions Baluns Help

Reviews Summary for Array Solutions Baluns
Array Solutions Baluns Reviews: 41 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $85
Description: 4:1 and 1:1 high power baluns, 5 kW CCS or continuous rating, to over 10 kW
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com

You can write your own review of the Array Solutions Baluns.

N4AYV Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2011 08:09 Send this review to a friend
What a difference this balun makes!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently replaced the stock balun on my Radiowavz OCF dipole due to saturation effects when running my Ameritron ALS-600S on this antenna. I called Jay at Array Solutions who suggested the 4:1 tuner balun. I installed the balun 2 days ago, and immediately saw a difference. The antenna tunes easily with my LDG tuner and the saturation effects are gone! Moreover, the antenna now competes heavily with my vertical antenna which it never did before. This balun is built like a brick. If you need a balun for any reason, call Jay. You won't go wrong.

VO1XT Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently replaced failed balun on my KLM KT34A
with Array Solutions AS 200-3 Balun. Received it in under a week! This aging work horse of an antenna, upgraded with M2 hardware 3 years ago, has never worked better! Balun and mounting plate is an easy retrofit. SWR is NOW flat across 10,15 and 20, which it never was before using many different baluns over the years. No problems so far running 1KW.

Excellent product. Excellent service! Should have installed it years ago.

N1EZZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2011 13:07 Send this review to a friend
4:1 AS 200 T(tuner balun)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After doing extensive research on building a Sky Wire Loop, I called ARRAY Solutions for info and suggestions on a balun.

Jay or one of the other great folks at Array Solutions suggested their 4:1 AS-200-T, their Tuner Balun. So I bought their 4:1 AS-200/T its build like a tank and carries a life time Warrenty, Except for the Greek God THOR's lighting Stike.

Here is what I did for the Skywire Loop.

I am blessed with 7 acres of land , surrounded by 100 ft Oak Trees (great Sky Hooks)

I bought a 2500 ft roll of 10gauge, stranded copper, plastic coated, electrical wire.

It was on Sale because one end of the spool was broken off, and the wire was in a heap or a pile.
Plus mentioning the word SALE, made my wife smile!! HIHI.

The Short Story is I hired a Tree Company with a bucket truck, I strung the wire around the property, the Bucket Truck only went up 60 ft, so all of the Antenna Wire Tie Points are 65ft high, the wire is tied to 4ft rubber bungi cords , the bungi cords are tied to the tree using that black para cord that DX Engineering sells here in Akron OH.

I have about 9 Tie Points on Bungi Cords, I have approximately 1,400 linear ft of wire around my house in the woods, this winter the loop survived heavy winds (excess 70mph) heavy Ice Storm this spring, and its still up there . For my peace of mind, I will get the bucket truck back for a few more tie points.

Back to the loop:

I feed the Skywire Loop with DX Engineerings 300 ohm ladder line into the Array Solutions 4:1 AS 200 T balun, From the balun which is on out side wall , I use LMR 400 the Shack, into a LDG AT-200Pro, Auto Tuner, into an Icom 746PRO.

With 100 watts, I have worked all of South and Central America, All CONUS, just about all of Canada, Keni Pennsula Alaska, Honolulu and Hilo Hawaii, All of Europe , Malta , Moscow Russia, Norway Sweden , Angola and Surname W. Africa, and I cannot confirm the QSO but I talked to a guy in Cape Town SAfrica.

I am a regular Relay Station on the Interconn / Mobil Maritime Net on 14.300 and I can hear and work stations that the Beams cannot.

As Advertised, I can tune from 1.8 all the way through 10 meters. 15 and 18 Meters is really busy now and I feel the only way I make the contacts is by using this superb Tuner Balun.

thanks Jay and ARRY Solutions for a great product.

George Riedel
N1EZZ / AAR5TC OH

NJ3A Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Life Time Warranty  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well it was time for some antenna maintenance on my M2 KT36XA, since a new tower was going up. I found the AS-200-7 Balun had it's toroid break apart...no, it was not a lightning strike... Any way...called the folks at Array Solutions...sent in some good photos and shortly after received a new AS-200-3 Balun as a replacement. All I had to do was change the antenna feeds to the balun and all was good. After the install...first contact was Borneo on 20m @ legal limit of course... You guys are great.

KC8OKG Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2008 14:43 Send this review to a friend
A+ after nearly a year  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Fantastic product as always from Array Solutions. This company truly sets the standard for quality. Before you buy anything from anyone else--see if Jay and the team at Array Solutions have what you are looking for or a version of it. Seems that everything these guys sell is TOP NOTCH.
I am currently in the process of setting up a ham station at my school to try to get my students interested in ham radio.
I just bought my second Tuner balun from them. First one has worked flawlessly with my Zerofive vertical at my home qth.
Now the second one will serve us well im sure at the school station.
Overbuilt quality in a good way-this thing is tuff-believe me---ive smoked a few parts in my day. NOT the Array Solutions tuner. If I cant destroy it-you wont either.
Jay and the team even gave us a school discount on our purchase. Thanks Jay.
Great guys-superior quality-fantastic service.
These tuner-baluns are a one time deal--I am convinced they will last a lifetime-no exceptions.
Thanks, 73 Greg Sarris KC8OKG

N5PTV Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2008 00:42 Send this review to a friend
Well Constructed and Excellent Customer Service from Mfg.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since my review for the ZF-43 also includes an Array Solutions Balun, I thought it would be appropriate to add it here as well. I placed my order for the ZF-43, radial plate, and AS-200-Tuner balun from Array Solutions. Their customer service and response to questions and emails is excellent.

The quality, performance, and durability of the Zero-Five multi-band vertical is a refreshing shift from typical amateur radio products. The components and fasteners supplied are above and beyond average. The level of customer service is nothing short of outstanding. Every email to Zero-Five was promptly answered and to my satisfaction. When I experienced a shortage due to the incompetence of a carrier, Tom was quick to remedy the situation. He simply wanted me to get the antenna setup as soon as possible and provided me with a replacement of the missing component.

I purchased the 43 foot model along with the Array Solutions AS-200-Tuner balun and the Penninger radial plate. The antenna was mounted in temporary location, pending XYL approval, and three 43 foot radials were deployed. Usually a minimum of 16 radials should be placed around the antenna at 0.1 wavelength long on the lowest band used. However, I have had good luck with matching the radial length to antenna height in the past and I didnít feel like cutting 16 radials while the antenna was not in its permanent location.

On the first weekend, dividing my time between my 9-month-old and house chores, I worked J39BS, KG4SS (Guantanamo), XE1YQQ, TI7/VU2YAM, VE6AL, XE2EX, CO7PH, and CM6RCR. Most of these contacts were on 75 meters. The lowest signal report I received was a 5x5 with 100 watts.

I have been using the internal antenna tuner in the radio to clean up the VSWR. The radio tuner can only match between 16 and 150 ohms, so the antenna/balun combination is doing a great job at keeping the VSWR at or below 3:1. I do have an amplifier, but have not yet used it with this antenna. I am in the process of deciding which high power auto antenna tuner will best fit my needs and budget. The amplifier may be able to handle a 2.5:1, but I am not going to risk a set of tubes.

This antenna replaced a popular trap style vertical. This wasnít because I was not happy with it or its performance, it worked very well for what it was. I ended up donating the antenna to the local ARC to raise money. I discovered Zero-Five in the process of looking for a replacement a short while later. I read the reviews, talked to Tom and figured Iíd give it a go. I really liked the idea of no traps, coils, capacitors, capacitance hats, or other do-hickies that would require adjustment and may sizzle under QRO. The balun mounts to a nice little plate just below the radiator and is housed in a weather tight case held on by stainless fasteners. It really looks like it means business. Since it is self-supporting, the antenna can also be folded over in a minimal amount of time. It requires two ĺ inch wrenches and one person can lower and raise the antenna. This is a great feature for maintenance, bad weather, and snoopy neighbors.

Well, there you have it. The Zero-Five 43 foot multi-band antenna has exceeded my expectations for performance, build quality, choice of materials and simplicity. The customer service I received from Zero Five was superb.

K5ML Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2008 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding product and service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have an Array Solutions AS-200-T mounted at the base of my ZeroFive Multiband Vertical. The combination works great.

This past weekend I worked many stations worldwide during the ARRL CW DX Contest, using the vertical-balun combination, with only 5 watts output. You can read the details in my eham review for the ZeroFive titled, "Giving the ZeroFive the 5-watt Test." When I can work the world with 5 watts and a ground-mounted vertical, it's safe to assume that there is negligible loss in the balun.

Like ZeroFive, Array Solutions builds outstanding products, backed up with excellent customer service and support. You can't go wrong with a lifetime guarantee. Bravo!

Mick, K5ML

W7JK Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2008 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Array Solutions AS-200-Tuner 4:1 Balun, is the second commercially made unit that I have used for this specific application. The first one failed almost immediately so I have a good basis for comparision.

My advice is if you want a trouble free unit with a no BS lifetime warranty, buy the Baluns offered by Array Solutions.

NA4U Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2008 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the Array Solutions AS-200-T at the bottom of my 43' Zero Five vertical as recommended by Zero Five. This "BALUN" is actually a modified Ruthroff 4:1 transmission line transformer (TLT) that works well in this UNUN role. If you use it with a vertical, you will want to open it up and plug the four tiny weep holes on the (now) side (I used bathroom caulk)and redrill four weeps hole in what will be the (new) bottom in the vertical mounting position. When you have it open, you will notice the quality and care in the construction. If you do not open it, you could drill into something important!

It is rugged and well built. It is not easy to design a Ruthroff for this application. It can take the power, provide a consistently good match, and transfer RF current efficienty to the antenna. Another great feature of this design is the DC grounding of the vertical. Jerry Sevick likes the design and for most that is all you need to know.

The proof is in the performance and it performs very well. No other vertical I have ever tried has ever worked any where near as well as the Zero Five 43' / Array Solutions AS-200-T combination. Most others were noise collectors and inefficient radiators. Jay of Array Solutions is a joy to deal with and will willingly answer questions about his products.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2008 13:10 Send this review to a friend
top notch quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
LIFETIME WARRANTY AND THEY MEAN IT!SMALL 2 MAN BUSSINESS THAT MAKES A SUPERIOR PRODUCT.BEWARE OF SPIN-OFF BALUNS THAT RESEMBLE THE ORIGINAL ARRAY SOLUTION BALUN,THEY ARE NOT BUILT TO THE SAME STANDARDS.I SUGGEST THIS BALUN FOR THE AM GUYS RUNNING 1.5K FULL KEY DOWN,OTHER THAN CENTAUR THERE IS NOT A BALUN OUT THERE THAT CAN DO IT AS WELL AS ARRAY SOLUTION'S BALUN.GREAT JOB GUY'S.