Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Slim Jim portable 2 meter antenna by N9TAX Help

Reviews Summary for Slim Jim portable 2 meter antenna by N9TAX
Slim Jim portable 2 meter antenna by N9TAX Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $19.99
Description: Portable, efficient, high quality antenna for two meters
More info: http://www.2wayelectronix.com

You can write your own review of the Slim Jim portable 2 meter antenna by N9TAX.

N7IBC Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2014 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Very nice portable antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an early one of these antennas and found it easy to deploy, and carried it in my backapack or on the off-road vehicle for emergency use. I recently bought an updated one and use that for public service events in the more remote areas. This last weekend, I was at a remote mountain top event, the IMTUFF100, and it worked great. I used a fiberglass snow stake as a back support for it, and attached that to a 20 piece of branch with electrical tape. Our local search and rescue folks are buying them now as well for thier backpacks. I can't recommend them enough!

N4GKS Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2014 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the dual band slim. I don't know why some people have problems with this antenna, but I bought one for camping, and all I can say is wow. Works like a champ with repeaters coming in full scale from 40 miles away and I only had it up 5 feet in a tree. Customer service and delivery was top notch and I can't say enough good things about it. I have to admit I was skeptical at first, but believe me when I say it works. You can also roll it up and put it in a glove box for field day.

KG7GMO Rating: 1/5 Feb 23, 2014 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality Control and Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna is decent after I fixed it. Sent me one with a bad SMA plug. when I contacted him he spent SIX emails over several days making excuses and telling me how the problem was my brand new Yaesu radio. It was obviously the plug.Finally, since he was not interested in helping, I replaced the SMA myself and the antenna then worked find.
Worst customer service I have ever seen.

AA6ZE Rating: 2/5 Sep 21, 2013 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Didn't work for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Preformed worse on 440 then the ducky on my UV-5R. 2 meters only slightly better. Didn't matter where I mounted it, indoors or out, receive and transmit was poor. Was disappointed after reading all the positive reviews.

KB3JFA Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2013 11:43 Send this review to a friend
I just received my antenna and so far I have been very pleased.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far I have been quite pleased I moved to my mom and dads house and have not had any luck getting my comet antenna back up. It has been performing very well for me. I have it hanging on a plastic hanger that is hanging from a closet coat hook and as soon as I can I will take it outside. It is very well made and seems like it will last. Can't beat it for $35 dollars I got the extra 16 foot of coaxial cable.

W0JAW Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2013 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Suprised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I was needing a small portable dual-bander and thought the Slim Jim would fit the purpose. It arrived in a small package and I uncoiled it and hung it up in my closet to try it out and was surprised to realize it was outperforming my normal vertical mounted 10 feet higher! I doubled checked things and am very pleased to report on average a 2 db increase on signal strength on both uhf and vhf!!! What a well designed little antenna! Think I will buy an extra to use for a permanent install.

KF7ZYK Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 07:00 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unbelievable performance from such a simple antenna.
Hanging from the ceiling light in my office, first call I hit a distant repeater I'd never been able to reach with a clean signal.
Loud and clear now.
AND: Joe's service is simply incomparable!

WH6EAO Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2012 14:08 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the dual band 2m & 70cm with a 16' RG58 and loving it. i didn't think it could get any better than my Diamond SRH320A or my Comet SMA3. I actually purchased this antenna for my new FT-857D but i tried it out with my HT and FT-817ND on low power, i was able to hit repeaters 50+ miles away including the outer-islands (from Oahu to Maui & Kauai). very impressed with a simple but very effective antenna for V/UHF work. definitely getting another one!

KJ6EZC Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2012 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Great 2 Meter Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this antenna on my bedroom wall mounted at 7 feet and get great signal reports. Before winter I plan to put it inside pvc pipe and hang it outside a little higher up. As it is it works very well and is well made. I'm very happy with it.

YD1ME Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2012 20:45 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SIMPLE ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is probably a bit long and hoping it would be helpful for anyone before making decision in buying new handy and simple antenna.
The slim jim antenna made by N9TAX is really simple antenna but exhibits great performance. Mine is single band one for VHF. Once this stuff arrived having bought online through eBay, I tested by hanging it onto my 2nd floor attic. The performance really surprised me at the time where I could QSO with repeater over +/- 80 km radius from my base station using 65 watt power with full quieting despite of indoor installation. The RS report I received was 5 and 7. SWR reading during this first test were :
1.70 at 144.400 MHz
1.60 at 144.600 MHz
1.40 at 145.000 MHz
1.30 at 146.000 MHz
1.25 at 147.000 MHz
1.40 at 148.000 MHz
Looking at resulted SWR reading during first test, at that time, I was pretty sure that by permanently moving this outside as well as elevating its position would then improve the SWR reading.
Afterward, I was rather tricky by hooking this up onto half inches white PVC with modified bow technique, slightly different with other bow technique in common for this antenna installation. F technique is probably more suitable word describing this hook up. The only reason for this modified technique compared to common bow technique was simply to prevent over tensioning against antenna’s both ends, thus preventing premature failure unless paying a full care. The bow was assembled by arangging it like letter “F”. All pipes and fittings were assembled from half inches PVC, and connection to both ends (just exactly at upper and lower branches/horizontal sections) were accomplished by means of plastic cable ties/zipper. The distance between straightened antenna and vertical section of PVC is 1 feet evenly from top to all the way down the antenna section.
I then clamped this PVC bow where the antenna attached, onto a 1 length of mast made from bamboo (very cheap, natural and high availability around my QTH). This bamboo mast length is about 4 meters and secured at 2nd floor building wall. This arrangement revealed 8 meters antenna height in total measured from ground.
Second test result was very amazing and exceeding my expectation, where I could get improved SWR reading across various frequences as well as 5 and 9 plus RS report from same repeater. Revealed SWR during second test were as follows :
1.40 at 144.400 MHz
1.30 at 144.600 MHz
1.20 at 145.000 MHz
1.10 at 146.000 MHz
1.15 at 147.000 MHz
1.15 at 148.000 MHz
In addition to that, just for giving a bit description, the connector I used along with this antenna is standard PL-259 UHF connector. Coax cable for feeding the antenna is LL-400 at 50 feet total length. I coiled up 10 feet remaining coax cable (since only 40 ft required) and just hanging it on the wall. The rig I used during testing was Kenwood TM-281A whilst SWR meter was the simple one Nissei RS-102.
Broadly speaking, I do satisfy with overall performance of this antenna though we certainly cannot compare it’s performance apple to apple against more rigorous and much more expensive ones. Thus, in the perspective of value for money, simple installation, and performance delivered, I would say this is extremely excellent antenna, very well built in good package and made by excellent antenna maker. Keep up good work.