Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Slim Jim portable 2 meter antenna by N9TAX Help

Reviews Summary for Slim Jim portable 2 meter antenna by N9TAX
Slim Jim portable 2 meter antenna by N9TAX Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $19.99
Description: Portable, efficient, high quality antenna for two meters
More info: http://www.2wayelectronix.com

You can write your own review of the Slim Jim portable 2 meter antenna by N9TAX.

KD2AXZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2011 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, delivered as described  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my order promptly from N9TAX. Works a lot better than what I cobbled together from RS parts, nice construction. I measured the following SWRs with a MFJ meter:

1.7 at 444mhz
1.2 at 446mhz
1.2 at 146.52mhz

Overall I'm pleased with indoor rx/tx and look forward to hanging it random places to work outdoors.

PHOOBARNVAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2011 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Shocked!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered this a week ago and got it yesterday. When I put a zip tie in the top and hung it from a plant hook in the corner of my bedroom on the third floor of the apartment complex...I was not expecting much of anything at all. Opened the mic on the FT-1802 at 50W and hit a repeater about 15-20 miles away. Was talking with someone who was 120 miles away in Eastern Idaho who had one of these in his go kit. Turned down to 5W...was still hitting the same repeater and sounding better. Got several more contacts on that repeater and tried simplex. Was even as good at 5W locally in the community. Now...to get the cable for my Signalink/FT-1802 and try 2M packet.

If you're looking for a great antenna for use in an apartment...look no further. You will be able to blow them away with this antenna. The quality of the build for the cost is outstanding. Want to hang it out the window after dark (to keep my neighbors from seeing it) and see if I can get into Boise 100 miles away.

4Z5DF Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After seeing it for sale on Ebay and reading reviews here I ordered one from Joe N9TAX on 9/7.
It was shipped the same day with the center freq and connector options that I had specified. Joe kept me updated within a few hours after receiving my order. It arrived yesterday 19/7 and I can confirm what the other reviewers have stated Great, Professionally Made, Inexspensive - worth every penny of price.
I live on the first floor of a four floor apartment building,which is surrounded by other nearby buildings. I suspended the antenna from a hook in ceiling and was able to open the Tel-Aviv repeater (about 20km away) with 200mw!!!!!
In conclusion a great antenna made by a great guy.
Aryeh 4Z5DF

N9ILS Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2011 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great antennas. I have 3 of them. Two are the 2m/440 and one is the 220 model he makes. All of them work great! They are rugged and easy to carry with you.

DAVER Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2011 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I got the Duel Bander with 16' of coax attached for use with my HT after checking out reviews of the N9TAX antenna.

I live in an extremely limited antenna environment and couldn't get anything up on the roof. I went with this one to try for use from home also to lug up to a hill top and hang from a tree of some sort.

It opened up the range of my HT with 5w by a good margin. Not such a big deal on most of the local stuff, but when it comes to "working the fringe" repeaters and simplex it makes a dramatic difference. I had a nice conversation on a 2m repeater located 60+ miles from here yesterday with the rest of this city in the way and a lot of hills and towns as well. My contact was blown away and so was I.

I use it just hanging in my kitchen on the ground floor in an un-ideal environment (couple ft from large radiators and fridge) with no view of the sky. On UHF it works just as good.

I can only assume that with proper hanging of this up higher or mounted with the "bow" technique he suggests that the performance would be even better.

As for the construction it's great. It's essentially a homebrew antenna, that's made using good materials and good technique. I could not of built this for less than what I paid for it.

Ohh, and it was shipped the day after ordering and got it a couple of days later. The "bang for the buck" factor is pretty large. N9TAX is a shining example of a good small business in the ham radio world.

Dave,
KD2AKC

KA5POW Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2011 09:27 Send this review to a friend
440 Mhz Slim Jim Used in a condo.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wrote to Joe N9TAX to see if he could make a 440 MHZ antenna. He wrote back within minutes to say he could. From order to receipt was less than a week. I have been struggling for a long time to get a good working 440 MHz antenna in my condo. I donít have space to put antennas outside but hung it up by a window in my condo. I can now hit repeaters that I couldn't have hit with a mag mount. When you order the 2M version for $17.99 just drop Joe a note and he will make the 440 MHz one. It's tuned to 445mhz. I would recommend this antenna to anyone that can't put up outside antennas.

VK7JB Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2011 04:41 Send this review to a friend
What a great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perfect antenna for portable use, rolls into a small package for storage and a breeze to deploy. Clever design, excellent build quality with outstanding attention to detail in the construction. Delivers everything it promises in function. I couldn't have built this antenna for what I paid N9TAX. One of the true value for money products in ham radio. Thank you N9TAX - it's so good I want to buy another.
John

KD0LWV Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2011 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna value with 3 day shipping!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased Joe,s (N9TAX) dual band Slim Jim for my go kit. I ordered it directly from his web site and saved a buck or 2 over the Ebay price, and in 3 days it was in my mail box. I found the quality and workmanship to be outstanding and could not have built it myself for the price paid. Yesterday during the thunderstorms, I had my base ground plane disconnected and decided to give the Slim Jim a try with my FT-60 HT. Hanging on the shack wall with a tack, SWR checked at 1:1 to 1:3 across the 2M band and I was able to hit all local Wichita, KS repeaters over a 40 Mi+ radius with full quieting. Outstanding value with incredible service.

ADAM2 Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2011 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Amazing - Delivers on the promises  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Of all the antennas I've purchased recently, this Slim Jim is the one of the few to deliver what it promises.

With it hanging from my the ceiling in my apartment in San Francisco, I can hit the repeater in Palo Alto (50w). No fiddling, no quality control issues, no excuses, N9TAX delivers what he promises.

Even using an HT (FT-60r, 5w), the signal was significantly improved from the stock rubber duck, and improved from the Diamond RH77CA.

This product is one of the few that I consider exceptionally high quality.

KF5HTK Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2011 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased the dual band version of this through ebay a few months ago and have been amazed. I'm a relatively new ham and this is my first "real" antenna...WOW what a difference!

If I can hear a repeater, I can talk through it without trouble using the HT. That should be reason enough for being happy with a $30 (shipped!) antenna. Knowing how I use it changes things a bit.

The antenna is hung from a ceiling fan in my bedroom on the 3rd floor of a building with VERY thick concrete walls in a QRM heavy downtown. Attached to my HT it can hit virtually any repeater within a 35 mile radius of my apartment. Just imagine what it'd do in the hands of an experienced ham with better equipment and an outside mount!

The antenna rolls up to fit in my backpack for simplex fun on a mountain top. While not meant for the job, it can easily hear satellites and I've used it to receive NOAA satellite images.

As a first upgrade from a rubber duck, this thing knocked my socks off. So much fun can be had with just an HT and this antenna! Perfect for apartment dwellers and hikers.