Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain
Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Reviews: 100 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: Provides RS-232 control for Tailtwister rotators

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain.

VA3MW Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 09:40 Send this review to a friend
great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have just ordered my 4 and 5th rotator controller with RS232. I will be using these in a LAN connection so I will front end them with a LAN to RS232 converter so I can connect to them with a Raw Socket using PSTRotatorAZ.

My tower is 200ft from my radios so the controllers are installed at the base of the tower and not in the shack of my remote base.
K9FW Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2016 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased the assembled kit, without the RS232 option. Install was a little tedious. As was the calibration. Once done it works great. Would recommend to others that can strictly follow instructions, and unsolder-solder. The original circuit board, with all it's wires are completely removed. Lots of new wires to install. Al K9FW
W4ID Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2015 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Roror-EZ Great Product -Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ham Supply of Elizabeth, Colorado has purchased the assets of Idiom Press. Owned by Wayne Ordakowski, N0UN, Ham Supply is a new business formed to manufacture and distribute the products previously offered by Idiom Press, as well as other new Amateur Radio products.
I just purchased a new Rotor-EZ with RS-232 Kit from Wayne at Ham Supply.
He gave me a 10% Christmas discount which made it an excellent buy. I even got same day shipping. I also needed a part for my older Idiom Press Rotor-EZ and he replied to my emails the same day with a very fair price and shipped the part the next day. This is an excellent way to do business. The Rotor-EZ with RS-232 Kit is great to computer control your antenna rotors. I have been using this product over two years and am very pleased with its performance. I recommend to always get the RS232 even if you do not think you need it now.
N5GP Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2014 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Rotor-EZ from Idiom Press - Outstanding Product and Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second Rotor-EZ I've purchased. Both included the optional serial interface so I can use software to swing the antenna.

Just as I was about to complete the first project, I found the SparkFun BOB-00718 Breakout Board for FT232RL USB to Serial. Since my computer has no serial ports, this $15 addition allows me to omit the external serial to USB converter in favor of a standard USB cable.

Rob (manages Idiom Press) explained that licensing requires different firmware for the serial to computer interface, so you still need to purchase the serial interface option to obtain the correct firmware. My radio-computer interface is the MicroHAM III which comes with a virtual serial port generator. While virtual ports can be challenging, I've not experienced any issues with the Rotor-EZ interface.

The Rotor-EZ is the most economical way to automate swinging an antenna using a Hygain or Yaesu rotors I've found. The board is easy to build and install plus there are many handy options that enhance DX or contesting.

However, the most important point isn't the product, but the service. Rob is willing to explain what needs to be done and why. Impressively, he also looks for feedback to improve the product. You cannot go wrong with the Rotor-EZ, it saves you hundreds of dollars over other options and does a magnificent job.
K3AJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Update to My Earlier Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
See my original review dated 2/28/11. I am updating it because last year I added the RS-232 functionality (which I use with the fantastic PST Rotator software - see my review of that product elsewhere). As others have suggested, when installing the Rotor-EZ, buy the RS-232 even if you don't think you will ever use it. Although it was pretty easy to install the modification, it would be cheaper and easier to do this to begin with. I was SURE I would NEVER want the RS-232. Yeah, right. I did run into one big problem installing the RS-232: the instructions called for wiring the DB-9 cable/connector supplied according to color code. The cable I was supplied, as it turned out, did not conform to the color/pin number relationship assumed in the instructions. You need to "ring out" the connector vs. the wires to figure out how to wire this up. I had a lot of difficulty getting this to work, and when I asked for help from Idiom Press, they didn't seem to know about this problem, leading to a convoluted troubleshooting process involving installing a terminal emulator on my computer, etc. That problem notwithstanding, this product is a winner and I heartily recommend it - if you are comfortable performing major (and probably irreversible) surgery on your rotator control box . Using this thing with computer software is way cool.
N5JXO Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excelent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the Rotor-EZ, built it and love it. I have since found broken units at hamfests and easily repaired them. I have also added the RS232 to the kits (this requires a different processor chip). I recommend to always get the RS232 even if you do not think you need it now. I also recommend you mount it not on the back of the meter for easier troubleshooting and maintenance. Also add 2 - 16 pin dip sockets so all the IC are socketed. Works wekk with HRD, just type in a call sign and it will rotate the antenna to them.
WB8RJY Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic item  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent item. I assembled it from a kit and installed it in my rotor box without any problem.
This brings the CDE rotor box into
the 21st century. easy to calibrate.Not sure
how i got along without it before. I will be doing
my other two rotor boxs !
N4UR Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great product at a great price. Made a so so Tail Twister a great system. The 3 LED Illuminator works great too.
WE5ST Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using this mod in my hy-gain Controller Plus with a TX2. Before installing the Rotor-EZ mod the TX2 would often hang up. Since installing the mod, it has hung up only once in 8 months of daily use and that was probably my fault.

The one opportunity for improvement is with the instructions. The instructions were patchy and not professional. I was able to get it installed properly and working after some troubleshooting.

Once installed it has delivered more than I expected. Using DXLabs (and probably other quality software) my station is now basically a single double mouse click from seeing the spot to working the DX. I don't have a Green Heron but I think this is pretty close.

If you have a hy-gain controller, you should have this mod!
W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2013 06:43 Send this review to a friend
how did I do without this for so long?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, Great personal service from Rob with my order. I had some issues with the web ordering and he handled it first rate.

The kit arrived in a timely fashion(despite USPS attempts to derail it LOL) and I proceeded to inventory the parts. Everything was there and I must add high quality parts and a great etched circuit board.

It reminded me very much of a classic Heathkit™ style of kit build, albeit the pictorials with with each step. Great step by step instructions, troubleshooting tips, schematics and voltage readings.
It went together in two evenings, with no issues. I used a circuit board holder and magnifier(because i am an old goat and need glasses) to assist in the construction.I added two IC sockets to the project where the chips would have soldered in directly, to make replacement easier, if ever I need to.
The only trepidation you may have is drilling the holes for the LEDs and RS232 cable. I have a 30 y/o CDE box so I wasn't worried about a pristine box.
The calibration and set up went butter smooth and it fired right up.I have the RS232 option and integrated with HRD 5.42. Works well, my only gripe is the logbook look-up entry doesn't automatically populate the rotor field., but thats not Idioms issue.

This is a great accessory for the average ham shack, you don't have to be a contester to appreciate its benefits!