Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain
Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Reviews: 96 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: Provides RS-232 control for Tailtwister rotators
More info: http://www.idiompress.com

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain.

N5JXO Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excelent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the Rotor-EZ, built it and love it. I have since found broken units at hamfests and easily repaired them. I have also added the RS232 to the kits (this requires a different processor chip). I recommend to always get the RS232 even if you do not think you need it now. I also recommend you mount it not on the back of the meter for easier troubleshooting and maintenance. Also add 2 - 16 pin dip sockets so all the IC are socketed. Works wekk with HRD, just type in a call sign and it will rotate the antenna to them.

WB8RJY Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic item  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent item. I assembled it from a kit and installed it in my rotor box without any problem.
This brings the CDE rotor box into
the 21st century. easy to calibrate.Not sure
how i got along without it before. I will be doing
my other two rotor boxs !

N4UR Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great product at a great price. Made a so so Tail Twister a great system. The 3 LED Illuminator works great too.

WE5ST Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using this mod in my hy-gain Controller Plus with a TX2. Before installing the Rotor-EZ mod the TX2 would often hang up. Since installing the mod, it has hung up only once in 8 months of daily use and that was probably my fault.

The one opportunity for improvement is with the instructions. The instructions were patchy and not professional. I was able to get it installed properly and working after some troubleshooting.

Once installed it has delivered more than I expected. Using DXLabs (and probably other quality software) my station is now basically a single double mouse click from seeing the spot to working the DX. I don't have a Green Heron but I think this is pretty close.

If you have a hy-gain controller, you should have this mod!

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2013 06:43 Send this review to a friend
how did I do without this for so long?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, Great personal service from Rob with my order. I had some issues with the web ordering and he handled it first rate.

The kit arrived in a timely fashion(despite USPS attempts to derail it LOL) and I proceeded to inventory the parts. Everything was there and I must add high quality parts and a great etched circuit board.

It reminded me very much of a classic Heathkit™ style of kit build, albeit the pictorials with with each step. Great step by step instructions, troubleshooting tips, schematics and voltage readings.
It went together in two evenings, with no issues. I used a circuit board holder and magnifier(because i am an old goat and need glasses) to assist in the construction.I added two IC sockets to the project where the chips would have soldered in directly, to make replacement easier, if ever I need to.
The only trepidation you may have is drilling the holes for the LEDs and RS232 cable. I have a 30 y/o CDE box so I wasn't worried about a pristine box.
The calibration and set up went butter smooth and it fired right up.I have the RS232 option and integrated with HRD 5.42. Works well, my only gripe is the logbook look-up entry doesn't automatically populate the rotor field., but thats not Idioms issue.

This is a great accessory for the average ham shack, you don't have to be a contester to appreciate its benefits!

K2YWE Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2012 11:42 Send this review to a friend
EZ-peasy Antenna Pointing   Time owned: more than 12 months
I built and installed the kit several years ago. I had no troubles building or calibrating the unit, and no problems at all in operation. At the time of installation I didn't imagine I'd ever use the computer interface, but the kit was a gift and my wife included the RS-232 (thanks, Dear).
Basic point-and-shoot functionality has been great. It's a real PITA saver to simply dial in the heading and push the lever once, not to mention not having to worry about the brake. The biggest surprise to me is that I do indeed find the RS-232 DCU-1 interface useful. It's a nice enter a call sign and push the appropriate keyboard key to have the rotor go to the country-associated heading. Rotor EZ also had a "reverse jog" feature for rotor models that tend to have sticky brakes. Try the Rotor EZ, you'll like it.

K8GY Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2012 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Product Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the rotor controller to update my CDE Ham II rotor to control via Ham Radio Delux. I received the board (I opted for the fully assemble board) and it took me a couple of weeks to get up the courage to gut my control box. After a self inflicted mistake which caused the board to malfunction, I emailed Rob and he couldn't have been nicer and more patient with me. He even called me to discuss what I did to cause it. He sent me replacement parts which I put in. Now all is well, my rotor works better than ever. Control through HRD is really cool. Highly recommend Idiom press and the Rotor EZ.

Thanks Rob.

K0HB Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2012 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It does what they say it will. What more can I ask?

Installation is easy, took about 3 hours.

WA8EBM Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2012 19:16 Send this review to a friend
A Must Have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered a new TailTwister rotor and the Rotor EZ the same day. Had a little twitch drilling a hole in the brand new controller front panel and tearing the guts out of it but boy was it worth it. Built the EZ in about 2 hours and took a couple more to install it in the controller box. All the features work exactly as described. Still got the new rotor on the bench while waiting for rebuild parts for the 8 yr old SteppIR. Been testing every feature including the RS232 interface repeatedly and ready put it back in the air. Only construction suggestions are a fine tipped iron for the board and a gun for unsoldering heavy leads from the controller along with a good magnifying work light.

WA7KGX Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2012 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Still going great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Rotor-EZ Kit for about two years now. I started using the RS232 option shortly after I wrote my first review. It works perfectly with Ham Radio Deluxe HRD Rotator. I can start HRD Rotator, check the sun line, and click on the area I wish to point the beam to. I can kill HRD Rotator or watch the antenna move if I wish.

I am impressed by how Idiom Press has exploited the chip's features.

The only change in the circuit that comes to mind would be a protective network on the direction pot input to the chip.
The stock board has however survived "RF in the shack" incidents that have blown two transistors
in other equipment.

See my web page for fun variations on installation in the CDE control box.