Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain
Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Reviews: 100 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: Provides RS-232 control for Tailtwister rotators
More info: http://www.hamsupply.com/

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain.

K2YWE Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2012 11:42 Send this review to a friend
EZ-peasy Antenna Pointing   Time owned: more than 12 months
I built and installed the kit several years ago. I had no troubles building or calibrating the unit, and no problems at all in operation. At the time of installation I didn't imagine I'd ever use the computer interface, but the kit was a gift and my wife included the RS-232 (thanks, Dear).
Basic point-and-shoot functionality has been great. It's a real PITA saver to simply dial in the heading and push the lever once, not to mention not having to worry about the brake. The biggest surprise to me is that I do indeed find the RS-232 DCU-1 interface useful. It's a nice enter a call sign and push the appropriate keyboard key to have the rotor go to the country-associated heading. Rotor EZ also had a "reverse jog" feature for rotor models that tend to have sticky brakes. Try the Rotor EZ, you'll like it.

K8GY Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2012 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Product Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the rotor controller to update my CDE Ham II rotor to control via Ham Radio Delux. I received the board (I opted for the fully assemble board) and it took me a couple of weeks to get up the courage to gut my control box. After a self inflicted mistake which caused the board to malfunction, I emailed Rob and he couldn't have been nicer and more patient with me. He even called me to discuss what I did to cause it. He sent me replacement parts which I put in. Now all is well, my rotor works better than ever. Control through HRD is really cool. Highly recommend Idiom press and the Rotor EZ.

Thanks Rob.

K0HB Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2012 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It does what they say it will. What more can I ask?

Installation is easy, took about 3 hours.

WA8EBM Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2012 19:16 Send this review to a friend
A Must Have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered a new TailTwister rotor and the Rotor EZ the same day. Had a little twitch drilling a hole in the brand new controller front panel and tearing the guts out of it but boy was it worth it. Built the EZ in about 2 hours and took a couple more to install it in the controller box. All the features work exactly as described. Still got the new rotor on the bench while waiting for rebuild parts for the 8 yr old SteppIR. Been testing every feature including the RS232 interface repeatedly and ready put it back in the air. Only construction suggestions are a fine tipped iron for the board and a gun for unsoldering heavy leads from the controller along with a good magnifying work light.

WA7KGX Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2012 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Still going great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Rotor-EZ Kit for about two years now. I started using the RS232 option shortly after I wrote my first review. It works perfectly with Ham Radio Deluxe HRD Rotator. I can start HRD Rotator, check the sun line, and click on the area I wish to point the beam to. I can kill HRD Rotator or watch the antenna move if I wish.

I am impressed by how Idiom Press has exploited the chip's features.

The only change in the circuit that comes to mind would be a protective network on the direction pot input to the chip.
The stock board has however survived "RF in the shack" incidents that have blown two transistors
in other equipment.

See my web page for fun variations on installation in the CDE control box.

W4ZN Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2012 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to the shack!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Idiom Press Rotor-EZ with the RS-232 option in kit form at the Dayton Hamvention this year. I've been a ham for over 45 years and have built everything from small gadget boxes to big HF amplifiers. I say this,since the Rotor-EZ kit does take some careful attention to detail, patience, and a very nice pencil soldering station. I think a brand new kit builder would be OK assembling the unit, but if you are an experienced builder, the success rate of the final assembly would be improved. I took my time and assembled it over three evenings. I have a CDE/HyGain control unit running a HAM IV rotor. I also drilled small holes in the control unit to mount the four LED's as an added visual convenience. I also use Ham Radio Deluxe as my logging software which talks to the Rotor-EZ via a COM port.

After building up the kit and following preliminary testing, I connected the rotor to the control unit here at the test bench. (The rotor was refurbished and is going up on the tower in a few weeks). With the rotor at the test bench, it was a dream to get everything calibrated and tested. Once that was accomplished, I plugged in the RS-232 cable and assigned it to COM 4 on the PC and the software found the unit effortlessly. Sure is nice to click on a direction with the software and watch the rotor do its thing! I really like the idea of the five-second brake delay and anti-jamn feature too.

I have several friends who are contest and DX hounds who use it in their shack and recommended it to me for a nice addition to operating convenience. I must say it is a fabulous little unit and it does exactly what it says it will do, and does it effortlessly.

If you want to add a nice operating convenience to the shack, for a reasonable price, this is it.

K5MLC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2012 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Kit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the kit with RS232 from Idiom Press. (Rob worked with me through some banking issues and he was finally was able to ship me the kit!) Shipping was quick! I also ordered the LED illumination kit and assembled it first. The chassis and front panel drilling was done first and was completed without incident. The rotor box I was converting was an older one that had the large meter lugs, so rather than file the board to enlarge the meter attachment holes, it found a home on the underside of the chassis behind the direction/brake switches. I followed the board assembly instructions closely and did not have any problems. The board went together without a hitch. The board tested correctly the first time. Since this was an older control box with the screw terminal attachment for the rotor control wires, I decided to add an AMP plug modification at the same time to allow for quick disconnect from the box. Some attachment points were moved from the screw terminals (now AMP plug) to the switch terminals since wire attachment to the AMP plug is limited. I'm happy with how that mod turned out. Upon completion, All RotorEZ functions work properly and well. The RS232 control took some extra time to implement. It would not work until I found the proper COM settings (I had to dig into the hardwire details to find the correct settings), but once done, it works beautifully now. It is incredible to be able to rotate to the proper direction with a tap of the keyboard within your logging software. I definitely recommend this product, but be aware that this is a modern kit with small parts (a magnifying glass was needed to identify some smaller components!) and small solder pads and your assembly and solder skills should be up to the task, or buy the assembled version.

WA8A Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2012 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Really impressed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered one for my Ham IV rotor. Shipping took about 10 days.
Just finished building the kit version. There were a couple of moments when the instructions were less than ideal and the circuit board printing a tad confusing but a quick check of the supplied schematic easily cleared everything up. I then was happily back to soldering.
It worked the first time. This thing ROCKS!! To be able to turn your antenna from the keyboard is just way too cool!

N0MN Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2011 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the assembled Rotor-EZ w/RS232 interface to install in my brand new Ham-IV rotator. The instructions were very simple to follow and I had it ready to test in about an hour. I fully expected to have problems because of past experiences with electronic gadgetry but, much to my delight, everything worked perfectly. I tested it with Logic 8 and once I changed the default 2 stop bits to 1 stop bit, it worked great.

NA1P Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2010 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Great product Great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Rotor-EZ kit plus RS-232 and the LED kit. It went together in about 3 hours. It took much longer wiring it up to the box then it did building the board. I had some problems with it and e-mailed Rob. He got right back to me and the support was great. We narrowed it down to the pic chip and he sent me a new one, at no cost, that arrived, cross country, in 3 days. That took care of the problem and the unit works great.

When I purchased the kit, I had questioned the support I would receive after viewing some of the reviews here. He said he did have some problems after taking over the company and assured me it was resolved. He sure was there when I needed help. Thanks Rob, great product and great support.