Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain
Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Reviews: 97 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: Provides RS-232 control for Tailtwister rotators
More info: http://www.idiompress.com

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain.

WY3X Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2009 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Echo everyone else  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The kit contained less parts than most QRP kits. Took me around 6 hours between numerous incoming phone calls to get it all assembled. It probably would have taken only 4 hours if not for the interruptions. The circuit board is well-engineered, although mis-marked. They apologized in the documentation for a silk-screening error that could cause you to install some diodes backwards. All I can say is that I wish I had done this to my vintage 1979 TailTwister rotor a LONG time ago!!! I really have a slick setup now! I got all options; LED lighting and RS-232 interface. You may as well too, since you have to admit, it's a major undertaking to remove and re-install those 8 wires on the rear panel of the rotor control box! The factory bulb was not bright enough for me to be able to read the degree scale. No problem after installing the LED kit and setting it for medium brightness! It's really a winning combination!

N0YK Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2009 22:43 Send this review to a friend
Turns the Ham IV into a Cadillac!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I read the description for this modification off Idiom Press's web site, I was a little skeptical on this working flawlessly with my ole Ham IV controller. I went ahead and ordered the kit with the serial option and the LED lightning kit. I did the LED mod first, was very easy and works well. Then onto the EZ rotor modification, at first glance, I was thinking I should have had Norms Rotor service do this. But, after about 3 hours of diligent work, with wires all over the place, everything came together nicely.

I would recommend this to anyone that doesn't mind basic kit building and is good with a soldering iron. This really is a great modification to the Hy-Gain rotors, works very well and I'm now controlling my rotor remotely via Ham Radio Deluxe.

Very Nice and worth the cash!

KB1NXE Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Now have 2!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the easiest and cheapest way to move your old Hy-Gain rotator control box into the modern age - period.

You can buy the green bird, or you can save most of the money, spend a few hours stuffing a board following excellent directions and make your Ham-XX or Tailtwister work ten times better. Add the RS-232 option and control it from software like HDR! [If you use HDR and have a rotator, you gotta get the RS-232. Talk about click and shoot!]

Do yourself a favor. Order one of these and put it together. Reminded me of the Heathkit days. Oh how I long for the days when a new box from Benton Harbor would arrive.

WD0EDO Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2008 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Smoooooooth  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has to be one of the sweetest mods available to put real life back into your Hy-Gain rotor. Using the RS-232 option makes this a real treat to use. When utilized with Ham Radio Deluxe and DM-780 software, turning your antenna is just a mouse click away.

KX9Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2008 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Another great upgrade by Idiom Press!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read some of the complaints about Idiom Press because of the turn around time, etc. All I can say is I ordered the kit last week and it arrived in four days. Taking my time and plenty of it I was successful in assembling and installing the kit. I even had some questions of Rob over the weekend and to my surprise he replied within several hours. I will add this caution. The silk screening of the pc board has four diodes backwards. Of course I installed the diodes as per the instructions and the silk screening and then continued reading the assembly manual which went to the next page to find out that the diodes needed to be installed just reverse of the screening - yes, I know I should have read on. I did email Rob about this and suggested the warning should be before rather than after you are told what to install and where to install it. Other than the one glitch everything went very smooth. The reason I did the upgrade was because the DCU-1 I have appears to be losing it's digits and I have been told the cost is somewhere around $300+ to repair. I pulled the old controller out and did the upgrade instead. Well worth the cost and the functionality is great. Granted I do not have digital readout nor the memories, but, with the capability to set the direction and go without holding down any of the switches works well for me plus you get the delay breaking and automatic stopping as it approaches the direction you selected.

WB7OKX Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2008 23:31 Send this review to a friend
Super Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This kit is not for the faint at heart but if you lay out and identify the parts first and take your time checking and double checking as you build the kit it will work fist time without problems. I think it took me as much time to install the finished kit into the control box as it did to build the kit. I took my time, more than likely two to three times as long as many in these reivews. I think I had the kitchen table occupied for about four days, how many hours I can't say but I wanted to do a good job and it paid off. I was missing four led holders and Rob W7GH sent them to me ASAP on questions asked. Be careful drilling the hole/s, This was the one thing I got in a hurry doing and the top LED is off just a tad and I notice it every time I look at the TX2 control box! Make sure you have a good assortment of small drills that are sharp before you start. Take your time marking the hole and drill with a small drill first to make sure you are in the exact spot. I would recomend this to anyone who has a hi-gain rotor that the kit will fit. The kit fixes what hi-gain should have done in the first place.
Ray WB7OKX

K3FT Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2008 10:23 Send this review to a friend
5 of 5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I waited a long time for Idiom Press to get more product in, built and tested but it was worth the wait. I proceeded very carefully with the installation of the full kit with RS232 option. It took 6 hours of careful work. Checking for mistakes proved to be a valuable use of time. It is easier to correct things when you proceed with care. Net net, the product works as advertised. I note the enthusiasm that others express about using the system now that it has the best mods. The enthusiasm is well founded.

I would also concur that this mod is not for those without mechanical and electrical skills. There are services available for those who are unsure of success. This mod will make a real difference in DXing and contesting.

Thank Rob for the great follow up service after the sale...

Dave K3FT

W7ZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2007 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Nifty modification  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This modification, plus a rehab by Norm's Rotor Service of the rotator itself, made my 1979 vintage units into a better than new rotor and control for far less than just the cost of the rotor. This mod will be great for DXing and contesting with computer interface. The kit is a challenging one to put together and is not for someone with little or no soldering/building experience, but if you take your time, painstakingly read the instructions and follow them (including an errata sheet as the circuit board has some errors on it), this unit works FB first time and is a great addition to the control head. It is a bit tough to drill the holes needed for the LEDs -- if your unit has holes anywhere near where these go, use them instead of trying to drill new holes nearby.

KG0WX Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2007 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Must have shack accesory!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my Rotor EZ and in about 5 hours of slow, carefull work (triple checking everything) I had it running. Like others have said, the point and shoot is so fun you find yourself turning the rotor even when you don't have to.

I got the PC interface with my kit and it works flawlessly despite the fact that I'm using a chinese (eBay) USB to RS-232 converter.

Overall, a fun evening's worth of kit building and a resulting product that brings my Ham III into the 21st century.

WH7A Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2007 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Idiom Press EX kit for the Hy-Gain servie of rotator is great! It really does pring the rotator into the 21st century in terms of operator interface and computor control. The "point-and-shoot" is fun to use, as well as the RS232 interface (I'm using HRD software).
I built the kit and had no problems at all; clear instructions and fun to build. After the card is populated, then you get to tear apart the rotator control box and replace / rewire the board.
A recommended accessory...get the RS232 option.