Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Idiom Press/Ham Supply Rotor-EZ - Hy-Gain Controllers Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press/Ham Supply Rotor-EZ - Hy-Gain Controllers
Idiom Press/Ham Supply Rotor-EZ - Hy-Gain Controllers Reviews: 101 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $99.95 - 149.95
Description: Point and Shoot” Rotor-EZ (with or without computer control RS-232) for ALL 3 paddle Hy- Gain Controllers by Idiom Press/Ham Supply
More info: http://www.hamsupply.com/rotor-ez-hy-gain-rotor-control/

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press/Ham Supply Rotor-EZ - Hy-Gain Controllers.

K3FT Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2008 10:23 Send this review to a friend
5 of 5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I waited a long time for Idiom Press to get more product in, built and tested but it was worth the wait. I proceeded very carefully with the installation of the full kit with RS232 option. It took 6 hours of careful work. Checking for mistakes proved to be a valuable use of time. It is easier to correct things when you proceed with care. Net net, the product works as advertised. I note the enthusiasm that others express about using the system now that it has the best mods. The enthusiasm is well founded.

I would also concur that this mod is not for those without mechanical and electrical skills. There are services available for those who are unsure of success. This mod will make a real difference in DXing and contesting.

Thank Rob for the great follow up service after the sale...

Dave K3FT

W7ZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2007 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Nifty modification  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This modification, plus a rehab by Norm's Rotor Service of the rotator itself, made my 1979 vintage units into a better than new rotor and control for far less than just the cost of the rotor. This mod will be great for DXing and contesting with computer interface. The kit is a challenging one to put together and is not for someone with little or no soldering/building experience, but if you take your time, painstakingly read the instructions and follow them (including an errata sheet as the circuit board has some errors on it), this unit works FB first time and is a great addition to the control head. It is a bit tough to drill the holes needed for the LEDs -- if your unit has holes anywhere near where these go, use them instead of trying to drill new holes nearby.

KG0WX Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2007 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Must have shack accesory!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my Rotor EZ and in about 5 hours of slow, carefull work (triple checking everything) I had it running. Like others have said, the point and shoot is so fun you find yourself turning the rotor even when you don't have to.

I got the PC interface with my kit and it works flawlessly despite the fact that I'm using a chinese (eBay) USB to RS-232 converter.

Overall, a fun evening's worth of kit building and a resulting product that brings my Ham III into the 21st century.

WH7A Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2007 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Idiom Press EX kit for the Hy-Gain servie of rotator is great! It really does pring the rotator into the 21st century in terms of operator interface and computor control. The "point-and-shoot" is fun to use, as well as the RS232 interface (I'm using HRD software).
I built the kit and had no problems at all; clear instructions and fun to build. After the card is populated, then you get to tear apart the rotator control box and replace / rewire the board.
A recommended accessory...get the RS232 option.

K0CBA Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2006 07:46 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
Someone sat down and thought, "what features would make my rotor control almost perfect"?

With 'wish list' in hand, he came up with EZ Rotor kit.

The "destructions" do a good job but unfortunately, Hy-Gain (or who ever made the one you have) made many internal changes from one production run to another and it may take a bit of head scratching to make sense or it.

This minor heartburn aside, it is just about the slickest gadget a ham could want. It makes your Yagi(s) "point 'n' shoot".

K9PH Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2006 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built and installed the Rotor-EZ in the controller for my Ham IV years ago and have enjoyed the features it added to the original controller. I finally got around to using the RS-232 interface to my station computer. I found that the commands that the Rotor-EZ responded to did not match the published command set. Contacted Idiom Press and they sent my at no charge a new controller IC. This was years after the original purchase. The Rotor-EZ now functions correctly and I have full PC control of the rotor. Support for an already great product simply does not get any better then this! I cannot understand why there are still Ham IV controllers out in the world that do not have this controller installed in them.

KO4SY Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2006 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Kit / Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this kit with the RS-232 several years ago. Probaly just after it came on the market and I have never been sorry for picking this little jewel up.
First the kit building was such a pleasure, I'm not that much of a builder, let's say I don't understand all I know about a lot of things, but I read the instructions several times and even the QST review from the March 2001 issue before I started the project. The QST article has some good info if your considering building the kit.
It wasn't that tough to build, but it was great therpy for me just to sit out in the work shop and assemble and install this project.
I used it a bunch in 2001 chasing DX and controlling it with my logging program (CommCat)
which is a prefect macth for DXer's.
I'll have to say it's one of the best investments I've made for the shack.

N2EZS Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2006 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Must Have!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have multiple rotors and a couple of controllers in the Ham-M and T2X series and this kit looked like it might make a good upgrade to the system. Having built numerous transverters, week signal generators, sequencer kits and etc., it was an easy choice to do the kit option here. I work as a computer engineer so I use computers minimally in my shack. (Don't like doing the same at home as at work.) But I did order the serial control option just in case.
The kit arrived quickly and was complete. The PWBA and components were of very good quality. If you're going to err on instructions, more is better so certainly there was no problem here.
The kit went together quickly with no surprises or head scratching by just following the instructions. I turned my head and applied power and was relieved at the lack of noise and smell! (This is always an anxious point with any kit.) The calibration was completed in a couple minutes and operational checkout done in a couple more. I had to reverse the wires to one LED. (If they had only used those good LEDs that don't care about polarity.) :-)
I buttoned the unit up and I'm really looking forward to using my 'new' rotator system.
I'd clasify this an easy to moderate kit to build. If you can read and follow instructions and have moderate soldering skills, you need not be afraid of this kit. It's a Must Have!
I gotta go now. I need to call Idiom Press and order another kit for my other controller. 73

K9XK Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2006 21:54 Send this review to a friend
A Wonderful Addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Idiom believes that "rotors" turn antennas, as opposed to "rotators". Or maybe they don't. It is possible that they know that the average person is a bit stupid and markets accordingly, just like the people that market "Duck Tape".

Oh well, whatever! The bottom line is that this kit is superb.

It does take a couple of hours to get through the installation. You are basically re-routing every wire in your control box and adding almost a dozen more. But the instructions are very good. I advise people to read through it a couple of times BEFORE getting going because there are a few places where you could jump the gun if not careful, just because of the order of things.

There are also two to three omissions, but none of them are fatal flaws because most people that would tackle this job would see them immediately and it would mean nothing. This is actually a fairly involved installation and considering what you're doing, the directions are quite good.

In fact, so good, that I read them five hours before the start of the ARRL DX contest, and decided to risk my station and do the mod. I managed to blow a strange on-board fuse doing some testing , and my unit was dead. As I looked at the schematic, I thought the F1 fuse referred to the main fuse, but it was actually this PC board mount mini-fuse. I found this out when I called Idiom, and I received a return call in the early evening. They were very hepful, to say the least. I ran over to Radio Shack and picked up a normal fuse holder and some fuses and replaced the on-board fuse and I was good to go.

Wow - what a great tool. Just turn the knob to where you want to go and hit the Brake button. Lights light up in sequence and it is as if a robot were in charge of your "rotor", er, rotator.

I mean, I have a robot controlling my rotator, complete with his accordion arms, galvanized bucket for a head, and light bulb eyes. You can't beat that for $160. Best deal in amateur radio!

This mod is highly recommended.

KB8HEA Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2005 01:20 Send this review to a friend
Rotor Control Made Easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the assembled model. Installation took me several hours. I added a dip switch to allow changing some of the options that would normally require soldering changes on the printed circuit board. I also added a DB-9 connector on the back of the rotor control box for the RS-232 control. Calibration was somewhat troublesome. Once installed and calibrated the controls make rotor operation a breeze. I downloaded free rotor control software off the internet to control the rotor from the computer. Talk about easy rotor control.. point to a direction on the computer screen compass dial and click go and its on its way.
I thought I was having a problem with the RS-232 portion but after a couple of emails to Idiom Press they helped me figure out my problem was in my computers comport. They have fantastic tech support if needed. Well worth the cost and time to install.