Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain
Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain Reviews: 100 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: Provides RS-232 control for Tailtwister rotators
More info: http://www.hamsupply.com/

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press Rotor-EZ Kit - HyGain.

W3PT Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2005 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Brings an old Ham-M rotor into the 21st century.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just assembled and installed the rotor kit for another ham and must congratulate the designer for a SWEET product. As a design engineer for 20+ years I can really appreciate the circuit and layout.

Regards,

Bob, W3PT

K5ZCJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2005 07:03 Send this review to a friend
5/5 Just as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Rotor-EZ kit installed in my Tail
Twister rotor and it really does do a good job.
Bob, W9KNI is a joy to work with and Idiom Press
is a company you can expect to stand behind their
product. I fat fingered the setup on the computer
and Bob really did help to get me going.
The kit worked just as advertised from day one
and makes chasing DX or contests a lot more fun.

Larry, K5ZCJ

NE2I Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2005 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Super rotor accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had this installed in an old cde ham 2 controller for a long time. I think it was one of the first made. Still going strong. Makes point and shoot during a contest easy! It was a good stepping stone approach to building as it was an early project for me. A must have for HamX/T2X owners!

N6AJR Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2005 16:58 Send this review to a friend
slick  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
saw it at Visilia and it looks like a pretty slick way to control the rotor.. my only question is sometimes I click on multiple spots in a hurry ( cruisng the bands, see what is open..) and would this have it flopping back and forth..on computer control, I know it would be ok with the point and shoot ( calibrate ) dial

VE3YF Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2005 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Automation Tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has been over a year using this product. I purchased EZ-Rotor with the RS-232 option. The assembly and setup pretty much went straight forward with the exception of one problem and a call to Bob at Idiom Press and he was quick and accurate in his response.

The device makes using my rotor a joy. With programs like TRX-Manager and Writelog you either type in the call or point and click the country and the path and off goes the rotor with high precision.

All manual functions remain intact and have been enhanced by the addition of a 5 second brake engagement delay to help prevent damage to the rotor itself. Excellent Job IdiomPress!

NT9E Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2005 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my Rotor-EZ kit (w/RS-232) over a year ago and finally found some time (and a clear flat area) in which to put this kit together. The kit has high quality components and the instructions are pretty clear. Built the kit in 2 sessions. 1 session to populate and solder the on board components and the next session to pull out the un-needed parts from the Tail Twister control box and wire-in the new wires from the circuit board. At this time you should drill the new LED hole for the Op status LED above the word "BRAKE". Had a couple of questions that were (I thought) not in the instruction manual and a quick call to Bob answered my questions. The new system works great and I use TRX-Manager(www.TRX-Manager.com)to control the rotator(Hy-Gain DCU-1 emulation). I highly recommend it for anyone wishing to update their shack automation.

W5GW Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2005 07:41 Send this review to a friend
A nifty weekend project  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Rotor-EZ adds brake, RS-232 control and a host of other functions to help improve the functionality of my circa 1980 HyGain rotor. Kit was fairly easy to build and install. No problems were encountered. However, this is NOT a kit for a beginner. The soldering pads are very small and require a precision soldering tip. Checkout went ok after I decyphered a few cryptic sentences in the manual. The manual has virtually no pictures of parts or how to route wires, you are on your own, but for an experienced builder this should be easy. The PCB layout illustration was very handy in finding hole locattions. I added shrink wrap to the LED leads. This is something that is deficient in the kit.

W5JON Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2004 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
Without the Rotor-EZ the T2X, is a good but problem prone rotor. The Rotor-EZ seems to solve all the weaknesses (jammed stops, brake lock-ups, break release, etc.)of the T2X, and makes operation a breeze. It has been in for two years now and both T2X and control with Rotor-EZ are great.

A great addition to the T2X control.

John W5JON

W7QQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2004 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Everything it's cracked up to be  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was the skeptical owner of a 20 year old Hy-Gain Tailtwister that was part of a package deal when I bought a used tower. The rotor had been stored upside down on the tilt over tower for years and had filled up with water. It was in horrible shape, but it was mine, so I decided to rebuild it. Once that was complete, I assembled and installed the Idiom Press Rotor-Eze into the controller. I had read and heard so many bad things about the Hy-Gain rotors and the brake problems, I just didn't expect much.

After two years of contesting use, turning an 80 pound, six element yagi with a 36 foot boom, I can honestly say that the rotor, and controller have worked perfectly, with absolutely no maintenance. I credit that success to the Idiom Press Rotor Eze controller modifications.

My station is located in a windy area with winter to summer temperatures ranging from 15 below to 115 degrees F. The Idiom Press Rotor Eze features work perfectly as advertised, and it makes operating my relic of a rotor worry free and reliable, even when I have guest ops who are not familiar with rotatable antennas. It's completely foolproof.

After a long preference for the big (and expensive)Yaesu or M Squared rotor, I'm considering another used Hy Gain/Telex rotor for a second tower. The Idiom Press Rotor Eze product makes these rotors THAT good!

The Rotor Eze kit was easy to build and install, and the instructions and support materials were we thought out and very clear. Once installed, it operates seamlessly with the Hy Gain controller, and there are no other modifications to make.

W3WKR Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2004 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Great function/especially nice kit for experienced builder  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
eBay gave me an ability to buy a Hy-Gain Tail Twister at a resonable price. It needed an interface to the computer.

Idiom Press's E-Z rotor card to the rescue!

The kit consists of a circuit board of excellent quality, 69 electrical components, and a hand full of wire and misc. mechanical components.

Assembled in 10 hours., worked perfect with terminal program and Write log. Great product