Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Idiom Press/Ham Supply Rotor-EZ - Hy-Gain Controllers Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press/Ham Supply Rotor-EZ - Hy-Gain Controllers
Idiom Press/Ham Supply Rotor-EZ - Hy-Gain Controllers Reviews: 101 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $99.95 - 149.95
Description: Point and Shoot” Rotor-EZ (with or without computer control RS-232) for ALL 3 paddle Hy- Gain Controllers by Idiom Press/Ham Supply
More info: http://www.hamsupply.com/rotor-ez-hy-gain-rotor-control/

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press/Ham Supply Rotor-EZ - Hy-Gain Controllers.

W3WKR Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2004 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Great function/especially nice kit for experienced builder  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
eBay gave me an ability to buy a Hy-Gain Tail Twister at a resonable price. It needed an interface to the computer.

Idiom Press's E-Z rotor card to the rescue!

The kit consists of a circuit board of excellent quality, 69 electrical components, and a hand full of wire and misc. mechanical components.

Assembled in 10 hours., worked perfect with terminal program and Write log. Great product

WA0TTN Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2004 22:24 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful device!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I inherited a vintage Cornell-Dubilier Ham II rotator from a ham who was moving to a retirement home. I'd never had a tower, beam, and rotator before. When I saw how kludgy it was to operate the thing, I thought, "There's got to be a better way." I got my answer on the TowerTalk reflector, took a look at the kit on Idiom Press' Web site, and ordered one immediately.

I had the controller modified even before I had the tower and antenna back up, since I wanted to make sure it was working properly first. As I said, I never had to use the controller in its original state, but I sure do like the way it works now!

The modification was very straightforward. The only suggestion is that as I was following the directions I realized that I was basically disabling the original components. So instead of just that, I gutted the unneeded components first before I installed the board. I also had to do the meter hole adjustments, but found it very simple (I bought the assembled kit, by the way). I clamped a rattail file in a vice and gently rubbed the board back and forth on it until the holes were just right. Very easy and very gentle on the components.

While I was at it, I removed the old rotary on/off switch, made a bigger hole with a chassis punch, and installed a flat-batted toggle switch from Radio Shack like the newer models appear to have. I also replaced the lamp meter with a high intensity white LED. Unfortunately, I didn't think about the reverse voltage and the LED fried after a couple of weeks. I read a tip about this in QST so one of these days I'll try it again with two LEDs back-to-back. For now I'm back to the original incandescent bulb, but the LED made the meter look really sharp and crisp.

I also bought the RS-232 option, although I don't use it currently. I did write a little VB program to play with it and it works very nicely. The extra $$$ for the option is well worth it.

So, in summary, I highly recommend this upgrade. It is a bit of work, but well worth the price and the effort to install.

WS1L Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2004 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Great intermediate kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use TRX-Manager to integrate station control for logging, telnet DX Cluster access, radio, etc. I wanted to add rotor control without major expense. My rotor is an old CDE controlling a CD-44. The control box is still in very good shape, though quite old now. A quick email exchenge with Bob Lochner convinced me this kit would do what I needed.

Upon arrival I checked all the parts, no shortages. I went through the instructions very carefully, then went step by step, double and sometimes even triple checking each step.

I had to open up the meter mounting holes on the PC board, as they warned would be the case with older control boxes. That was the only real headache, as I left it too late and had to carefully work around some mounted components. I had wanted to avoid taking the control box apart until the last possible moment, though.

After stuffing the PC board the real project began. I opened up the control box and went step by careful step. A few of the soldering connections were in awkward places but I managed.

When I finished, the kit worked exactly as described and I buttoned up the control box. This is not a beginners kit, and I was pleasantly suprised to avoid mistakes on my part. The lack of pictures in the instructions was not a drawback.

The two best features for me are the computer control - my logging program lets me click a cluster spot to QSY and check its needed status, then one button starts the rotor. I also like the ability to use the former calibration knob to dial the meter to a heading and hit the brake button to start the rotor.

Bob's book, the Complete DX'er, was and is my DX bible. I bought their LogiKey keyer and consider it the best I have ever owned. The Rotor-EZ is a great product, as I would expect. I may try their audio filter soon!

K4UEE Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2003 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Love It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Rotor-EZ kit at Dayton in May '03 and just now found time to assemble it. Found it reasonably easy to do, took about 3 hours and then 15 mins to calibrate. After using a tailtwister for 10 years and having to dedicate one hand to rotating the rotor, it is really great to turn a knob till the needle points in the desired new direction and hit the brake switch. The antenna then rotates, brakes itself, and I can go about my business!

N5ZC Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2003 23:36 Send this review to a friend
RS-232 = Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purhcased a second hand Tailtwister rotor that was about 2 years old for $300. Little did I know the Rotor-EZ card was already installed.

Since the rotor is going to be part of my remote controlled station I needed computer control. I called Idiom Press on Wednsday and received the updated parts (new CPU chip, RS-232 chip and some caps) on Saturday.

It took about 30 minutes to get get the board un-installed, install the new parts, and re-install the board to the meter.

I can now control my T2X with Logic6, Writelog, a program by N8LP and a terminal program.

Very nice indeed.

W9DHI Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2003 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received the kit today and set right out to build it and install it. The unit works as stated, no problems encountered. The only thing I think Idiom Press could do better is to have someone rewrite the instructions. I found them confusing and not very well laid out. I personally after reading them, just worked from the schematic and did it all myself. I noted all wire colors on the schematic for my wiring for future reference. If they had pre-assigned some color coding it would make it a more pleasurable experience for inexperienced builders. They could take a cue from reading an Elecraft kit manual, and make this a first class kit.

KK2ED Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2003 00:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product & support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one of the kits at Dayton back in 2000, and was very impressed with the quality of the kit. Excellent directions, quality components, and good overall design.

Unfortunately, I suffered a direct lightning hit in the summer of 2001. Once I got thru the insurance claim headache, I bought another T2X with the DCU-1 controller. To make a long story short, I was not impressed, nor happy, with the DCU-1. Among its faults - constant flicker of the LED numeric readout and position bar led, poor immunity to RF (100w causes it to jump about +/- 5 degrees, 1KW+ causes it to jump all over the place) coming down the rotor cable, and periodic loss of calibration.

I decided to go back to the original control box with the ROTOR-EZ kit. The owner of Idiom provided excellent support, quickly and reasonbly delivering spare parts to repair the board.

I'd recommend this kit to anyone who regularly uses a Hy-Gain rotor!

Eric
KK2ED

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2003 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just finished installing 2 Rotor-EZ kits I installed the one in my own rotor box and then I installed the kit in the clubs rotor. The one option you want to disable unless you have a Tail Twister is the unstick routine. I had to go in and take my rotor box apart and take the meter out again to install the jumper I just completed that job and Oh! what a difference the beam does not rotate in the opposite direction for a few degrees then start turning in the desired direction. Now I don't have to shut off the unstick routine with software every time I turn on my rotor. Even Tailtwister users can use the software routine or have a switch to switch the unstick on routine if needed, if they install the RS-232 option to unstick the rotor. The feature still works with the software command if needed. Wow is it ever nice to have hands off rotor control from your logging program, MixW, or DXView are the programs I have tried so far. If you put together the board I reccommend a Weller temperature controlled Soldering Station and the fine tip. Idiom Press made a great kit and brought the old CDE and Hygain Rotors up to date at a lot better price then the DCU1 box. See you on the air.
Gerry

N5OP Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2003 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the pre-assembled version. Instructions were clear and concise. I screwed up some connections initially, but sorted that out in about 10 min. The whole installation took about 45 min, but be careful drilling the holes in the HyGain control box face plate. Drill from the exposed surface (front), not from the back as I did.

I bought the RS-232 interface and it works like a charm with DXBASE2003 and DXBASE2004. I use a USB-to-serial converter, to keep my hardware serial ports free for things that really need them.

All in all, an *execellent* product.

W9OL Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2003 18:02 Send this review to a friend
even an idiot like me was able to make it work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Instructions were clear. I got lost once or twice but rereading the paragraph cured that.

Works with my DXBase2004 and Writelog programs.
As I'm upgrading my computer which won't have any ISA slots, I had to change my rotor control system.
The IdiomPress unit worked the first time I tried it.
Especially like the 'Preset Feature' and the 'rock' feature to cure TailTwister wedge sticking problem.

Took about 2 hours to install and glad I did.