Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Heathkit DX-35 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit DX-35
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$85.00 in 1956
Description: Beginner-level kit transmitter. Covers 80 through 10 meters. Power input 65 watts CW, 50 watts controlled-carrier AM 'phone. 6146 final amp. Self-contained power supply. Crystal controlled or external VFO.

You can write your own review of the Heathkit DX-35.

W8AQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2013 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice Simple XMTR   Time owned: more than 12 months
I got a used DX-35 as my first novice transmitter when I got my first license back in 1967. I bought it from a local ham for $10, as I recall. Paired up with a Knight Kit R55A, I had a great time working many stations across the country with only an inverted vee cut for 40 meters and a handful of rocks. Obviously, the R55A was a bigger limitation than the DX-35! If I could hear 'em I could work 'em...but I heard them all on top of each other! Sure made my ears "CW tone sensitive".

I still have my novice station and have purchased several more DX-35s through the years for parts and restoration. After recapping, the old friend still pumps out about 30 watts with a few XTALS I still have for 40 meters. I picked up a VF-1 VFO a couple years back but hated the chirp. The VF-1 is powered from the same pretty much maxed out power supply as the DX-35 so it's pushing the transformer pretty hard using both. I elected not to build a separate PS and sold the VF-1 finding the limitation to XTAL control not a big problem for a vintage old rig that I only used when I felt like it. These days, though, I find myself using it and a Bencher straight key a lot as a reminder of the great times I had when I first got on the air.

The DX-35 is very simple to keep on the air...even with my failing eyesight. Basic radio at its best. And there are still plenty of old parts radios out there at decent prices so i would think the old Heathkit will still be able to get on their air when I'm not!

For what it was and the ability it gave a bunch of us kids to get on the air, it was a good rig.

AJ4BP Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2011 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Love the DX-35  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my DX-35 for about 10 years now and have used it on 10 and 75 meter AM with success. Lately I have been a regular on 20 meter CW and have made a bunch of contacts. Overall the DX-35 is a lot of fun and reminiscent of my good old novice days .My receiver is a Heathkit HR-10B. If any of you come across either an AT-1, DX-20, DX-35, DX-40 DX-60 series or an HW-16 give it a try and you will love them. They are simple easy to work on and keep them on the air.If you find one which has not been on the air for a long time your best bet is to replace the power supply electrolytic capacitors. If you don't feel comfortable performing this,get help from an experienced Elmer who can work on tube type rigs. These rigs have LETHAL voltages inside!!

K6LO Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2009 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Primitive radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had a DX-35 as a novice, rocked for 7122. It was paired with my DX-160 receiver via a lightswitch T/R. The meter movement stuck all the time, and would bob-around even when it did work. The keying voltage was enough to give me a buzz if I slipped off the knob of my Speed-X navy. But it keyed cleanly, and with twenty watts, my youthful wits, and some luck I managed to gather QSL cards from all over the country. I have gotten spoiled since. I miss the experience, NOT the equipment.

W7EKB Rating: 4/5 Sep 11, 2009 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first transmitter, which I built in 1956 when I was 14 years old. Worked right off the bat. It has a wide-range Pi-Net output stage, requires a crystal or other high-impedance mic input for AM, and keys cleanly for CW. I used mine for a number of years and worked many, many stations with it all over the world.
The DX-35 has some "issues". Among these are 1) that the power transformer is running "red-lined" even when the rig is in standby. I lost two power transformers within the space of two years. I then replaced it with a really heavy duty one from a console TV in the "Economy" configuration.
2)Because the power transformer was so marginal, Heathkit used a weird, but effective method of powering the 12BY7 oscillator and buffer stages, by connecting them in series across the HV. I.e., the oscillator got its plate voltage from the cathode of the buffer, while the buffer plate was connected directly to the +600 VDC. When I modified mine to the TV power transformer, I changed that series feed to a standard parallel feed using the 1/2 HV of the "Economy Power Supply" to power both stages. That worked gang-busters!
Once the power supply issues are dealt with the DX-35 is a very reliable and user-friendly rig.
3) The meter is a Shurite "moving-vane" piece of garbage. Although it is "quaint" to see it wig-wagging away, I found it annoying and changed my meter to a brand-new Simpson D'Arsonval meter.