Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Reviews: 164 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $3300
Description: Yaesu FT-1000MP MK5
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/markv.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.

MI0SRR Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2014 14:18 Send this review to a friend
brilliant radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for about 6 years now it is brilliant i am keeping it forever.

KC5CQD Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2013 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Of the multitude of rigs that I've owned over the past 30 years, this is by far the most phenomenal. In my opinion, the "1000" series is Yaesu's crowning achievement. All of them are excellent radios with the "Mark V" being the flagship model. The only real caveat is the "FP-29" power supply. I realize that it will probably run for decades without an issue but if it does fail, you're certainly up the creek without a paddle. They don't make a replacement and I hear that repairs of the unit are very expensive. So then you're stuck with buying a 30VDC 15Amp PS and a 13.8VDC PS and re-wiring the harness for both power supplies to run the radio. Not impossible and certainly worth the effort but what a pain!! Come on, Yaesu.........build a few replacement "FP-29s" per year for your loyal customers.

KJ7GI Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2013 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Still at rated at 4.3 ???  Time owned: more than 12 months

You do realize the Radio Shack HTX-100 and TEN TEC Scout 555 rated at 4.3 also...right?
Anyway, I'm trying to pick up another Mark V so I won't brag on it too much. No need to start an eBay bidding war.
Seriously this is one nice rig. There are a few mods and an INRAD roofing filter I would recommend if you get one. It's a great rig on it's own but with the modifications it really shines. You can add extra filters youself. Once the covers are off the filters just pop in place.
The real trick to the Mark V is figuring out the menu settings and understanding the manual (it doesn't make sense!). Very quirky rig that drives some HAMS nuts. Easy to turn things off or on without realizing what you did (VRF/MEM CH come to mind). Bottom line though...very nice rig.
I'm sure the latest rigs with stock roofing filters and DSP are making the Mark V's look a little long in the tooth. But the anolog/EDSP filter combo along with INRAD mods, a proper alignment & correct menu settings make it tough to beat.
Not everyones cuppa tea I'm sure. Mine's not going anywhere though! JMO
Mike/KJ7GI

KU4GW Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2012 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Rig! Excellent Receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm on my second Mark V now and absolutely love it! My first Mark V had the bad fortune of a direct lightning strike that entered via the CAT port through my digital interface.Tore it up pretty bad along with over 5000 dollars of my other home electronics.I did get the other one repaired by KI4NR John at LPC Wireless for $587 and sold it and have received praise from the buyer on how well it performs. I like my second Mark V even better because it came with the Inrad roofing filter mod already installed which is a vast improvement that pretty well eliminates any IMD at all. Also it came with the 1.8 khz Inrad sideband filter which really helps out on QRM. I can work stations 1 khz apart during CQWW with no problem! Altogether I have ran the Mark V for 3 years now and would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a top of the line receiver with excellent sensitivity and selectivity. I do however highly recommend the Inrad roofing filter mod on this rig. With my old one without the roofing filter mod if I were operating on 3895 khz and a AM station was on 3885 I could hear his interference pretty bad at times, but with the one with the roofing filter mod I don't get any QRM at all from AM stations on 3885 when operating on 3895 khz! Big improvement! Also, I love the DSP on CW mode! I use the 240 Hz DSP filtering frequently on CW and it works great! I would like to add the 250 hz Inrad mechanical filter later on and see how it does, but the DSP filtering is fantastic on CW, really great for pulling those weak ones out of the QRN! About the only minus I can think of is Yaesu putting the CW sidetone level control access only on the back of the rig. I wish they would have put it on a knob or a menu so I could access it from the front instead of having to use a tuning tool to turn the recessed potentiometer on the rear. Other than that I have no complaints! I wish I could have kept my first Mark V after the lightning damage repair, but the XYL wanted to recoup some of the money I'd spent. Gotta keep Momma happy! Anyway, if I had it to do over I would buy another Mark V in a heartbeat! Bottom line is "I love my FT-1000MP Mark V!" Very 73 de KU4GW Cliff

EA1IR Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2011 03:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This rig is an excellent piece of design with extremely high performance. Despite the fact of all potential failures compared to the Field version, I consider this radio one of the best.

Front panel has a very logic display, no multifunction buttons; in fact every feature is reachable on the front panel. However, menus allow you to go deeper in calibrating or adjusting the rigs to your needs.

The power supply could be a negative issue considering the size, but that is why there is a Field version to avoid this problem. I really donīt see much difference between having 100W or 200W in the radio if you have a good antenna.

Roofing filter is a must in this radio.

I just have good words for unit, either 200W version or the Field version. there will always be one of this in my shack.

EA1IR

KJ7GI Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 10:15 Send this review to a friend
One Great Rig!!  Time owned: more than 12 months

This is one heck of an HF rig and I'm surprised it rated so low (4.3). It is a little quirky and has a confusing manual and menu system. Then there's the oddball 30v/13v outboard power supply that can be hard to replace.
If you can get over some of the odd features of the Mark V you're left with one of the best HF rigs ever made. Add a few filters and easy mods and this transceiver just can't be beat. Well..maybe you could beat it by a hair for an extra $10,000 bucks or so...but even then I'm not too sure!!!
I've been trading and selling rigs for the past three years to get a Mark V and now have two late model rigs in the shack. One is filtered to the eyeballs and the other is bone stock. Not much difference really except on the digital modes where tight filters and the INRAD roofing filter come into play. On sideband I run the stock rig. Always great audio reports using either Yaesu desk or hand mic.
I know some folks can't get over the odd features of the Mark V. It's not very intuitive and can be setup all wrong if you're not careful. But make no mistake. At the heart of this rig is a world class transceiver that ranks right up there with the best.
Mike/KJ7GI

WU0R Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Still a solid 5!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Mark 5 for some time now and still amazes me at the features you get for teh price of the radio on today's market. I have had teh PRO3, K3, and others and still like the Mark5. For that Matter, I would probably love teh Field also. The extra power is nice and does make a difference. However, I tend to run on the mid range power setting.

It is remarkable at what it can do!

1. 2 Rcvrs (great for low band - Pro3 and K3 don't have that stock).
2. Mix of DSP and filters makes the radio really sing. No warbly DSP only settings.
3. Easy to use, ergonomical delight. Didn't like the K3 for that reason alone (and pricey). Feels very solid and all controls are solid.
4. Separate Shift/Width controls really make a difference when you are trying to pull in a weak one on 160M. I never did like concentric knobs. Having them separate is a really nice feature.
5. Able to scoot up the band using the Up/Down buttons is a nice feature. Most radios you have to either key pad in a frequency, hit the fast button, etc. This is a nice feature.

I could go on.

The performance is very, very good. I am certain with some additional mods, you can tweak it more.

Had the FT-950, FT-2000, K3 and PRO3 and didn't like any of them. The 950 and 2000 just had very poor selectivity. The K3 was a bit too small and some of the controls were constantly getting bumped trying to adjust something else, and besides the high price tag. the PRO3 was okay but for that money, I expect a second receiver (sub receiver) built it. No Dual watch on that radio. CFT is nice but not that useful.

All in all, if you can snag a FT-1000MK5 or Field, do it. You get a whole lot of radio for your money!

IK0RNR Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2010 13:23 Send this review to a friend
excellent!  Time owned: months
hello after spending about two years with the FT-2000 I decided to return to the Mark V and choice has been 'guessed! reception for me and most of the Mark V 'dynamic and pleasant compared to the' FT-2000 that also above to factor that the FT-2000 despite the latest compressor and nearly unusable! For me the 'FT-1000MP Mark V is still a top ten! 73 'de IK0RNR

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Buy one  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had two Mark V's, the last one selling it was a big mistake. I thought about getting a brand new FT-2000 but, after seeing many of these for sale and reading the reviews, I went and get another Mark V. I install a roofing filter and a 1.8khz filter. Receives fantastic and I don't agree with this being a run of the mill rag chewing rig. Not good for field due to the supply to lug around but, top shelf for everything else. Its reliable, built well and will stand up to many radios made today. When I was looking for a new radio I had a price range of up to $2500. So, buying the FT-2000 was not an issue money wise, I was looking for a radio that I could use for a long time without having the feeling that I needed to upgrade. If I ever do purchase another radio, the Mark V will stay in my shack. Its here to stay this time...

K4OB Rating: 1/5 Mar 7, 2010 05:13 Send this review to a friend
More Problems...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well here we are a few months since my last problem and guess what... the digital display power supply board took a crap.I called Yaesu in Ca. and ordered one , it took 8 weeks to get to Fl. the board was only 35 bucks which ain't so bad.