Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Reviews: 177 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $3300
Description: Yaesu FT-1000MP MK5
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/markv.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.

KE4AMQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2017 08:48 Send this review to a friend
great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have two of these the 1000mp and the 1000mpmkv both ot these rigs have been great to me owned them for a very long time the tuners are excellent the receiver is the best i just purchased a ftdx3000 and i still think i would take either one over the new rig all's i could say is if your looking for a talking listening machine the ft1000's are it hands down

M0KRL Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2017 03:34 Send this review to a friend
Spectacular for its age  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have now owned this new to me rig for about 6 months and although not a new radio it still holds its own against any high end newer rigs. Everything you need to use regularly is in front of you and it hears everything that's out there. This is a keeper.If you can find one at the right price grab it, I can tell you now you will not be disappointed.

LU5FCV Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2017 22:43 Send this review to a friend
exelente  Time owned: more than 12 months
Una gran radio , exelente , saludos lu5fcv

N7WR Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2017 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll add my "5" to the others. Until recently I had not owned a FT 1000 MP Mark V though for years I used one as a contest OP at NK7U. I have had quite a few radios with newer technology since the 1000 MK V was last produced. However, I tired of the small size of those, the fact that many features are hidden in menus, and the lack of ability to make changes quickly through knobs and buttons on the front panel. Yes the Mark V has menus but there are fewer menu selected features than on newer technology radios.

The few Mark V menu items I care about are set once and forget. So I recently acquired a very clean, no issues Mark V and could not be happier. I seldom need an amp with the radio's 200 watt output, the receiver is excellent and the EDSP features it does have are more than sufficient for my purposes. I get excellent unsolicited audio reports on SSB (I use a Heil mic) So my TS 590SG now is my secondary radio and use it on 6 meters when there are openings. Otherwise the Mark V is now my go to radio for SSB and CW

KE7ATE Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2016 18:37 Send this review to a friend
It is Still Among the Elite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For a long time now, I've been an avid consumer of ICOM communications receivers and transceivers and I can recall listening to many QSO's on 20 meters and 40 meters as other amateur radio operators discuss the differences between ICOM and Yaesu equipment. Most of these conversations ended up with the phase "Yaesu is great if you like receivers that can't hear"or "Yaesu radios are deaf." For many years I thought that too as I was quite content using my ICOM IC-R70 to hear distant stations in Australia and Europe. And then I took a chance and bought a Yaesu FT-847. Well, I wanted to program the thing and I liked that it had HF/VHF/UHF all packed into one tiny little package (that weighs a ton). I looked at the design of the receiver and realized it had excellent sensitivity. It turned out that the FT-847 was a much better transceiver than I had expected. The FT-847 could hear better than most of the equipment I already owned for some time.

~Who are these characters that claim Yaesu can't hear or is deaf?~

They were wrong and I had foolishly placed my trust in their assumptions about Yaesu. So, I a dipped my toe in a little deeper and explored other Yaesu gear, the FT-817ND and the Yaesu FT-897D. These were good rigs in their own right and worked well for what they were designed to do, but certainly not the DX worthy gear I was searching for. However, these rigs certainly didn't make me believe Yaesu made bad equipment.

So, I began to look a little deeper back in the previous generation of Yaesu transceivers and again I was baffled. I started looking into the specifications of the FT-1000 series and I began to drool with envy as I studied each model until I got to the FT-1000MP Mark V.

~Every review by every owner of the FT-1000MP series had nothing but praise and commendation for this amazing HF transceiver. ~

Yes, there were a few grumpy reviewers who just didn't seem to understand what this transceiver was all about. Despite their arrogance and bad luck with faulty gear, the FT-1000MP Mark V revealed itself as ergonomic and efficient. It not only could "hear," it dug weak signals out of the noisy depths of the spectrum. At, this point, I began to realize this transceiver was born at about the same time my favorite little FT-847 was designed and produced.

So, as the FT-1000MP Mark V is already eleven years out of production and finding one now could involve prying the now infamous transceiver from the cold dead hands of a silent key.

~I began my quest to find one of these beasts to tame and keep as my very own.~

As luck would have it, I found three on eBay and bought them. My philosophy was that a transceiver this old was bound to have problems and even though the owners say they are in Excellent condition, the meaning of the word "excellent" means different things to different people. One of them had a problem with the main tuning knob drifting back and forth each time I let go. I was fortunate enough to find an easy fix for this at no cost.

The second one worked beautifully, but the top of the case was a little beat up. This doesn't bother me so much. The third one was perfect and truly in "excellent condition." All I really need are some filters to round out the receiving pathway and I have the finest piece of amateur radio equipment on the planet.

~What makes this transceiver so great?~

Everyone complains about the key clicks when they use CW and they whine about how long it takes for the display to light up on cold startups. These are not big issues to me.

It's the receive path and the clean transmitter. These are two really wonderful features that many amateur radio operators take for granted on ICOM gear. This transceiver was designed for contesters and DX chasers. I like to search deep into the noise for distant signals and this is one of the few transceivers that lets me "hear." Those people who said Yaesu is deaf and can't hear are really just a bunch of fools. I have learned to do my own research and use what makes my enjoyment of radio suit my needs in my hobby. I was a fool for believing them.

However, there is something about the FT-1000MP Mark V that makes me use it over my ICOM 7600 when I am signal searching. It feels like an old friend with its LED display and comfortable tuning knobs. I get more pleasure out of the convenience this transceiver provides when I am chasing DX than any other transceiver I have used. The controls are thoughtfully placed on the front panel and it has a logical feel to its operation.

~Everything about this transceiver clicks with me.~

Now that I have all of that off my chest, the truth is, its specifications are really no different than the equipment being produce today (2017). I'm not comfortable with touch screen technology on my transceiver and I don't like my favorite settings buried in menus and submenus. The more recent creations by ICOM and Yaesu are clumsy and require too much thinking and planning to do the kind of listening and communications I want to pursue. I like simple and I like easy systems that don't take the enjoyment out of my hobby, but instead, make it fun and rich with signals.

The Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V is an amazing piece of work that still holds it own today. It's a joy to use and gear that I will not part with and I plan to use as I delve deeper into the noise chasing DX. Let's just say... it will be a cold day in hell...

Yaesu isn't deaf.

AC5RP Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2016 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Good for a first generation digital radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one of the first production units so I have used this rig since day one (circa 2001). Well built and contacts indicate clean signals. Digital modes were an initial hassle, but bought the cable set from Rig Blaster (in memory serves me) and all integrated well. I only had one negative experience and that dealt with the noise figure inherent with the 2nd IF. Bought the "kit" from International Crystal and it did not fit the Mark V version, regardless of what they advertised. I removed the kit (add gain between 1st and 2nd IF and reduce gain of 2nd IF)as the fix did not work and there was no way to reduce the gain on the 2nd IF. So, on digital modes, you have to live with a relative high noise floor. Despite that negative "disappointment", the radio is solid, reliable and has just about all the filters built in (as compared to the workhorse 2000). Since this was a "first generation" digital radio, I lived with this issue. Perhaps later production models fixed the noise floor issue, but I use the rig for SSB and it excels in that mode. I use a FLEX SDR for my digital mode exchanges.

K9PLK Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2015 22:37 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well bought this rig from a buddy who repaired from a lighting hit! Tuner isn't functional but all else is GREAT! Great receiver! I had the Field years back and was very sorry I had to sell it! If you can get one grab it ! FANTASTIC RECEIVER AND GREAT SSB AUDIO! I DONT EVEN RUN IT AT 200 WATTS EITHER!

K9PLK Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 09:31 Send this review to a friend
YAESU FT1000 MKV 200 WATTS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to say all the previous reviews I have read about this rig doesn't do it justice! Great receiver, great, transmit audio! I bought it used and it had some shipping damaged. It was repaired by a good friend of mine and works terrific! I owned a Field and sold it and what a mistake! Was a great rig but since I bought the MKV AND HAPPY AS CAN BE! I would say its better than my FTD 3000! An let me say that rig is really to notch!

KK4CIR Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Top Performing Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you have a MK-5 then you all know what this radio is capable of and you are taking advantage of all the nice features this rig has to offer. If you don't have one then you are missing (IMO) one of the best radios ever made by Yaesu. The radio has all the looks and feel of a analog radio but it gives you also the taste of new technology with it's extended menu that will allow you to adjust it to your preference. I find this rig easy to operate and is a pleasure to listen to since the audio is crystal clear with the added options of DSP. If you are a collector like myself and don't have this fine rig in your collection then get one! You will not regret it, the price in the market still in the 1.5K and up! You could easily say that you can get a brand new radio for under that price but you will be missing IMO a true and top performing rig.

DO5ST Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig in 2002 brand-new with all the filters.
Since this time i use the great radio nearly every day.
The last 35 years i owned a lot fine and high end tranceivers,
but the FT 1000 Mark V and my old FT 1000 D are the best.
They are milestones in radio communication.
When you find a used one in good shape-buy it!
Vy 73