Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Reviews: 171 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $3300
Description: Yaesu FT-1000MP MK5

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.

K9PLK Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2015 22:37 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well bought this rig from a buddy who repaired from a lighting hit! Tuner isn't functional but all else is GREAT! Great receiver! I had the Field years back and was very sorry I had to sell it! If you can get one grab it ! FANTASTIC RECEIVER AND GREAT SSB AUDIO! I DONT EVEN RUN IT AT 200 WATTS EITHER!
K9PLK Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 09:31 Send this review to a friend
YAESU FT1000 MKV 200 WATTS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to say all the previous reviews I have read about this rig doesn't do it justice! Great receiver, great, transmit audio! I bought it used and it had some shipping damaged. It was repaired by a good friend of mine and works terrific! I owned a Field and sold it and what a mistake! Was a great rig but since I bought the MKV AND HAPPY AS CAN BE! I would say its better than my FTD 3000! An let me say that rig is really to notch!
KK4CIR Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Top Performing Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you have a MK-5 then you all know what this radio is capable of and you are taking advantage of all the nice features this rig has to offer. If you don't have one then you are missing (IMO) one of the best radios ever made by Yaesu. The radio has all the looks and feel of a analog radio but it gives you also the taste of new technology with it's extended menu that will allow you to adjust it to your preference. I find this rig easy to operate and is a pleasure to listen to since the audio is crystal clear with the added options of DSP. If you are a collector like myself and don't have this fine rig in your collection then get one! You will not regret it, the price in the market still in the 1.5K and up! You could easily say that you can get a brand new radio for under that price but you will be missing IMO a true and top performing rig.
DO5ST Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig in 2002 brand-new with all the filters.
Since this time i use the great radio nearly every day.
The last 35 years i owned a lot fine and high end tranceivers,
but the FT 1000 Mark V and my old FT 1000 D are the best.
They are milestones in radio communication.
When you find a used one in good shape-buy it!
Vy 73

WV8BOB Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2014 13:39 Send this review to a friend
ONE GREAT TRANSCEIVER  Time owned: more than 12 months
My fellow Hams;

I have owned my upgraded Mark V since 2006 and without going into specifics, since that time, I have tried many HF Transceivers from the low end to the high end and while I found several that I was very pleased with and I have found none that was overall any better than my Mark V. In fact, while I moved the others on I still have my original Mark V. In fact, I have another Mark V on Standby should the one I have been using for years take a vacation. AS MY SUMMARY SAYS THIS IS ONE GREAT TRANSCEIVER IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT.
K4DSN Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2014 04:32 Send this review to a friend
A great radio selling for a bargain price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sold a K3 and bought a used Ft-1000mp mkv and have not regretted it. I much prefer the ergonomics and the receive audio of the Yaesu. I use the DSP noise reduction a lot more on this radio because itís easier to get to and find the right settings quickly. The IF settings is different than most radios and makes more sense to me. The receive and transmit DSP work well but are not as configurable as the K3 was but the limited selection is still pretty good. With the receive DSP turned off there is a bit of hiss in the audio but itís not enough to cover up any signal. With the DSP turned on the hiss disappears. I heard that the inrad roofing filter will get rid of it but it doesnít bother me enough.

I have all of the option filters except for the 500 cw filter. They work very well but I did miss the 1.8k filter I had in the K3. During field day, I was trying to receive a weak signal but had a hard time due to neighboring signals, the DSP shift helped but I think the K3/1.8k filter setup would have done better. That being said, there was something about the K3 audio that I despised. No matter how I set it up it always sounded processed and hard to listen to. I donít get that with the ft-1000mp even with the DSP turned on so I tend to have it on more.

No radio is perfect and this one is no exception. I had to fix the well documented noise blanker problem. Iím locked into the crystal filter selection because of the DSP integration, I would prefer 1.8k filters instead of the 2k. Also, selecting the filters is not as good as the standard ft-1000mp. I have never found a use for the VRF feature, would have preferred if they used that spot to control the contour and APF and give me back the standard FT-1000MP filter selector. There is no 6m band but I never use it anyway. The antenna tuner is sometimes slow to tune, it only acts up on certain bands with certain antennas. Most of the time it works fine but it has to be monitored. There was no IF output for a pan adapter so I added a Clifford labs buffer board to the 70.455 MHz IF and now have a dirt cheap 2.5 MHz bandwidth view using a $10 RTL-SDR dongle. I highly recommend that mod as it made this radio come alive for me, itís easy to find signals in seconds.

All in all I am very pleased with this radio. I use it a lot more than my prior K3 primarily due to the more natural audio. The ergonomics are great, I rarely have to go into the menu settings, everything is just right there. I think these radios are a bargain right now, I canít think of another radio I would like to have that doesnít cost at least 3 times as much and I'm certain that any performance improvement would not justify the cost.
W8NWN Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2014 02:58 Send this review to a friend
A REAL RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it for 10 years with no issues. I don't regret buying it. The only cons are the weight and size of the radio itself. Very large and heavy. Also the PS is not manufactured anymore but one can be made to work fine.
MI0SRR Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2014 14:18 Send this review to a friend
brilliant radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for about 6 years now it is brilliant i am keeping it forever.
KC5CQD Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2013 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Of the multitude of rigs that I've owned over the past 30 years, this is by far the most phenomenal. In my opinion, the "1000" series is Yaesu's crowning achievement. All of them are excellent radios with the "Mark V" being the flagship model. The only real caveat is the "FP-29" power supply. I realize that it will probably run for decades without an issue but if it does fail, you're certainly up the creek without a paddle. They don't make a replacement and I hear that repairs of the unit are very expensive. So then you're stuck with buying a 30VDC 15Amp PS and a 13.8VDC PS and re-wiring the harness for both power supplies to run the radio. Not impossible and certainly worth the effort but what a pain!! Come on, a few replacement "FP-29s" per year for your loyal customers.
KJ7GI Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2013 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Still at rated at 4.3 ???  Time owned: more than 12 months

You do realize the Radio Shack HTX-100 and TEN TEC Scout 555 rated at 4.3 also...right?
Anyway, I'm trying to pick up another Mark V so I won't brag on it too much. No need to start an eBay bidding war.
Seriously this is one nice rig. There are a few mods and an INRAD roofing filter I would recommend if you get one. It's a great rig on it's own but with the modifications it really shines. You can add extra filters youself. Once the covers are off the filters just pop in place.
The real trick to the Mark V is figuring out the menu settings and understanding the manual (it doesn't make sense!). Very quirky rig that drives some HAMS nuts. Easy to turn things off or on without realizing what you did (VRF/MEM CH come to mind). Bottom line though...very nice rig.
I'm sure the latest rigs with stock roofing filters and DSP are making the Mark V's look a little long in the tooth. But the anolog/EDSP filter combo along with INRAD mods, a proper alignment & correct menu settings make it tough to beat.
Not everyones cuppa tea I'm sure. Mine's not going anywhere though! JMO