Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Reviews: 169 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $3300
Description: Yaesu FT-1000MP MK5
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/markv.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.

KJ7GI Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 10:15 Send this review to a friend
One Great Rig!!  Time owned: more than 12 months

This is one heck of an HF rig and I'm surprised it rated so low (4.3). It is a little quirky and has a confusing manual and menu system. Then there's the oddball 30v/13v outboard power supply that can be hard to replace.
If you can get over some of the odd features of the Mark V you're left with one of the best HF rigs ever made. Add a few filters and easy mods and this transceiver just can't be beat. Well..maybe you could beat it by a hair for an extra $10,000 bucks or so...but even then I'm not too sure!!!
I've been trading and selling rigs for the past three years to get a Mark V and now have two late model rigs in the shack. One is filtered to the eyeballs and the other is bone stock. Not much difference really except on the digital modes where tight filters and the INRAD roofing filter come into play. On sideband I run the stock rig. Always great audio reports using either Yaesu desk or hand mic.
I know some folks can't get over the odd features of the Mark V. It's not very intuitive and can be setup all wrong if you're not careful. But make no mistake. At the heart of this rig is a world class transceiver that ranks right up there with the best.
Mike/KJ7GI

WU0R Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Still a solid 5!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Mark 5 for some time now and still amazes me at the features you get for teh price of the radio on today's market. I have had teh PRO3, K3, and others and still like the Mark5. For that Matter, I would probably love teh Field also. The extra power is nice and does make a difference. However, I tend to run on the mid range power setting.

It is remarkable at what it can do!

1. 2 Rcvrs (great for low band - Pro3 and K3 don't have that stock).
2. Mix of DSP and filters makes the radio really sing. No warbly DSP only settings.
3. Easy to use, ergonomical delight. Didn't like the K3 for that reason alone (and pricey). Feels very solid and all controls are solid.
4. Separate Shift/Width controls really make a difference when you are trying to pull in a weak one on 160M. I never did like concentric knobs. Having them separate is a really nice feature.
5. Able to scoot up the band using the Up/Down buttons is a nice feature. Most radios you have to either key pad in a frequency, hit the fast button, etc. This is a nice feature.

I could go on.

The performance is very, very good. I am certain with some additional mods, you can tweak it more.

Had the FT-950, FT-2000, K3 and PRO3 and didn't like any of them. The 950 and 2000 just had very poor selectivity. The K3 was a bit too small and some of the controls were constantly getting bumped trying to adjust something else, and besides the high price tag. the PRO3 was okay but for that money, I expect a second receiver (sub receiver) built it. No Dual watch on that radio. CFT is nice but not that useful.

All in all, if you can snag a FT-1000MK5 or Field, do it. You get a whole lot of radio for your money!

IK0RNR Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2010 13:23 Send this review to a friend
excellent!  Time owned: months
hello after spending about two years with the FT-2000 I decided to return to the Mark V and choice has been 'guessed! reception for me and most of the Mark V 'dynamic and pleasant compared to the' FT-2000 that also above to factor that the FT-2000 despite the latest compressor and nearly unusable! For me the 'FT-1000MP Mark V is still a top ten! 73 'de IK0RNR

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Buy one  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had two Mark V's, the last one selling it was a big mistake. I thought about getting a brand new FT-2000 but, after seeing many of these for sale and reading the reviews, I went and get another Mark V. I install a roofing filter and a 1.8khz filter. Receives fantastic and I don't agree with this being a run of the mill rag chewing rig. Not good for field due to the supply to lug around but, top shelf for everything else. Its reliable, built well and will stand up to many radios made today. When I was looking for a new radio I had a price range of up to $2500. So, buying the FT-2000 was not an issue money wise, I was looking for a radio that I could use for a long time without having the feeling that I needed to upgrade. If I ever do purchase another radio, the Mark V will stay in my shack. Its here to stay this time...

K4OB Rating: 1/5 Mar 7, 2010 05:13 Send this review to a friend
More Problems...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well here we are a few months since my last problem and guess what... the digital display power supply board took a crap.I called Yaesu in Ca. and ordered one , it took 8 weeks to get to Fl. the board was only 35 bucks which ain't so bad.

AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2010 19:46 Send this review to a friend
VERY SOLID RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Operated this radio over two years in all kinds of environments and conditions and loved it.

This radio is a very good choice for *general run of the mill laid back SSB DXing and *light* contesting. Get ready to buy ONLY INRAD filters, make any mods not already done and spend lots of time in the menus.

If you are not after real competition and pushing it to the limits or winning any awards and just want to contest for the sake of having fun (or saying you did) and making a few extra dx contacts along the way then go for it.

If you just want to rag chew save your money and buy a TS-820S OR TS-830SAT that's really all you need for that this is really too much radio for that, unless your ego needs to have you say you own one.

For general run of the mill laid back DXing it is also a great radio. The built in keyer is not fast enough or stable enough for serious CW HS operation.

For serious low signal DXing get a SignalOne, Drake R4B, TT Orion, IC-761 and a good 'Blue Racer'.

I rate this radio very highly for what it was intended to be used for. I performs as advertised.

73, gud DX,
Bob AD5VJ

ON4CT Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2009 01:28 Send this review to a friend
WORKHORSE  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my third review.
In use since 2002 in contesting, casual transceiving and dx-ing in all kind of modes.
No complaints, I even like this radio with the years.
It has a very good receiver, very weak signals in pile ups can pop up by the apf feature, try this one out. Last week I worked tx5spa (fo/a), k4m (kh4) and 3d20cr (conway) on the low bands.
The nb works well, the inrad filters are really an upgrade.
Last month I adjusted the vfo knop tension and then I saw how well built this transceiver is.
Annualy I blow the dust out of the fp-29 power supply, this box is collecting dust.

DIRK
ON4CT

AA1OV Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2009 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know that there have been may warts mentioned about this radio. But other than the sensitivity mod and some INRAD filters, I never did any other mods, and I never had any of the problems with mine, mentioned in other reviews. I also ran the FTV1000 transverter with it and a Quadra amp with zero problems.

I have sold the rig now due to size constraints in my new RV shack and will miss the great receiver that rig had.

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2009 04:39 Send this review to a friend
I like the Mk.V for SSB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Mk.V new in 2003 and have run it about 70% of my time on the air which is 90% SSB. I really like this radio, it has a nice balance between the front controls and menus, the ergonomics work for me, and the quality of the received audio is pleasing to my ear. I've installed the narrow SSB filters from Inrad and the Inrad roofing filter board, both work fine, and I did notice improvement in the noise floor and the IMD. The receiver in the Mk.V works quite well. I have a Yaesu FT1000D and an Icom 7700, both are very nice transceivers too. I would say that all three receivers are comparable with slight variations in strength and weakness which defines each of their "personalities". For CW the 1000D is hard to beat, the 7700 really shines on Digital, and for adjusting the transmit audio, but I like the SSB receive on the Mk.V best. I believe because of the combination of the crystal lattice filters and DSP, the receiver seems to be slightly less harsh. The full DSP rigs to me seem to have some artifacts in the receiver that can still be heard.

I run my Mk.V with a Yaesu Quadra and a Palstar AT Autotuner, it is ham heaven. If you ever want the easiest to operate and one of the quietest set ups you can own, IMO this combination is the cat's meow, both just follow the Mk.V around from band to band without a hitch with very little noise.

The only negative I have to add is my Mk.V does have the sporadic display delay issue, but it has never failed to start up. There are modifications to fix this issue, but I am not going to fix something that IMO is not yet broken.

Like another pointed out, if the FP-29 supply fails, obtain supplies from the aftermarket, they are affordable and probably could be moved into the FP-29 case. Nothing lasts forever, especially electronic devices. IMO when you start adding more and more features to a device it shortens the useful lifespan. Do you want a last forever radio? Go get a cat's whisker and crystal, but if you want something that is a joy to operate that is pleasing to the eyes and ears, get a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk.V.

K8AC Rating: 4/5 Jun 2, 2009 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Good enough!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After evaluating my new K3 in the 2008 CW SS, I sold it and bought a Mk V. I put the Mk V through the ringer in the 160 contest in December and decided then that it was a keeper. I'd have rated it a 5 except for several deficiencies in its stock form. Most of those have been addressed by the well-documented mods from W8JI and Inrad. I also picked up the FTV-1000 6 meter converter and that works very well on 6 for me. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Pros:
1. The main tuning knob is perfectly shaped and the tuning is exceptionally smooth.
2. The standard Yaesu filters (stock SSB, 2.0 SSB, 500 CW, 250 CW) are exceptionally good. While I've been a fan of Inrad replacements in other transceivers, I find the shape of the Yaesu CW filters to be excellent (Not a believer in brick-wall filters for contesting).
3. The dual-receiver arrangement works very well with separate receiver audio feeds for each ear via the headphones.
4. The VRF feature (tunable front-end) may be useful in a multi-transmitter (on the same band) situation or if you have nearby hams operating on the same band as you. Otherwise, I don't find it useful.
5. Full break-in on CW works well for me at typical contest speeds (30-33 wpm here).
6. Front panel has jacks for 1/8" AND 1/4" headphone plugs.
7. The menu system is very good except for the setup of the optional filters. Check out the downloadable MPFilters program for a visual display of current filter selection and the ability to set any filter combination you choose.
8. While I've heard some complain about the cooling fan noise, mine rarely comes on and it's just not an issue.
9. The transceiver front panel is very well designed - operation is logical and there are no multi-purpose buttons (press for one thing, hold down for another, etc.).
10. AGC action is very good. None of the quirks associated with the DSP-based rigs.
11. The DSP noise reduction is actually useful on CW. Combined with the APF, it can make a difference when digging out weak signals down in the mud.
12. Output power is a solid 200W as advertised on all HF bands.

Cons:
1. The CW monitor level isn't adjustable from the menu or the front panel - adjustment is on rear panel.
2. In stock form, I ran into IMD problems during the 160 test although switching in 6 dB of attenuation eliminated the problem. I later installed the Inrad roofing filter and have not heard any IMD problems since.
3. When using the FTV-1000 for 6 meter operation, there are two menu items to alter, a front panel MK V switch to throw and the FTV-1000 power switch. You also have to set the MK V tuning to 28.000. It would have been nice if just throwing the FTV-1000 power switch had put the MK V into 6 meter mode with no other actions required. Not a problem, just a bit of a pain.
4. The DSP audio peaking filter (APF) isn't tunable.
5. The "shuttle-jog" arrangement is cumbersome and even the slowest rate changes the frequency too fast.
6. The DC/DC unit feeding the display can be troublesome resulting in a dim display or no display at all. A mod is available to return the display to full brightness.
7. The stock Noise Blanker is a disaster, resulting in sure-fire IMD problems (W8JI or Inrad mod fixes that) even when not using the NB. Another NB mod by a VK ham just abourt eliminates the severe distortion that can occur when using the NB in the presence of strong nearby signals.
8. Key clicks are a problem (maybe fixed by Yaesu on the very latest serial #s ?), but again there are W8JI and Inrad mods to take care of that.
9. I haven't heard of anyone who actually gets 200 watts out of the FTV-1000 transverter (regardless of ALC adjustment). Testing here with two different Mk Vs resulted in 160 watts with one and 180 with another. The output level of the MK V feeding the transverter may be adjustable in the alignment procedures, but haven't checked yet.
10. The NB is sometimes effective on pulse noise (electric fence ticking) and sometimes not. If not for this problem, I'd rate the Mk V a solid 5 provided that you install the mods I've mentioned.
11. The FP-29 power supply fan runs all the time. For that reason, I keep it on the floor behind the desk.

All in all, I think the Mk V is a steal at the going used price, provided you can make the necessary mods yourself. The Inrad roofing filter is a good improvement for contesters. The rig is a pleasure to operate and I'd consider it near perfect if there were some way to marry it to the LP-Pan hardware for the panadapter function. I've used the SDR-IQ receiver for panadapter function using a splitter in the receive antenna line. That worked well, but I ran into some noise problems with the SDR-IQ on 20M that fed back into the MK V receiver .

Some have apparently experienced unfixable failures with the FP-29 switching power supply, but mine has been OK so far. If it fails, I'll replace it with one of the Astron 28V supplies along with a small 12V supply.