Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Reviews: 167 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $3300
Description: Yaesu FT-1000MP MK5
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/markv.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.

KE4QDC Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2006 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I acquired the Mark V used and it had the Inrad roofing filter and the Inrad SSB filters in the 2nd & 3rd IF. When I first started using the rig I was very unhappy with the performance. Not only did the fan make a noise and cause a vibration in the rig but the receive really seemed down. After a few months and a gut feeling something was wrong on advice from a few ham friends I contacted Byron Campbell WA4GEG that is the king of techs on Yaesu's. I recommend him highly if anyone needs work done on any radio. Anyway he found that the Inrad roofing filter was defective. In order to get the rig in specs he had to remove the roofing filter. He also replaced the fan blower and did a complete TX & RX alignment along with the NB mod & key click mod. All I can say now is WOW WOW WOW. What a great rig. The fan is quiet and the receive is as good as any radio I have had in the shack. I have had 746pro,756proIII, ts-950SD, TS-870. This rig holds its own against any of them. I could not believe the difference when putting the rig back on the air. The interfence fighting features work super. Read the manual over & over as stated before this is not a plug & play radio. As far as the Inrad roofing filter goes unless you are a serious DX chaser or contester it really is not necessary. I have sent it back to Inrad asking for a free replacement but we will have to wait and see what happens with that. I never knew how much of a great radio this was until it got all straighten out by the king of techs Byron Campbell. HE is the greatest and very nice to deal with and does the best quality work.

N4SL Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2006 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Five Year Summary  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio for just over 5 years now, never had a lick of trouble with it. I installed a lot of Inrad filters and the Inrad Roofing Filter which helps it compete with the newer radios.

I use it 90% for CW contesting but I do some SSB and RTTY/PSK31 with it, too. I use it in a full-QRO SO2R system with an Elecraft K2/100 as the other radio.

I like the radio, I'm glad I bought it, but I wouldn't buy it again, I'd get a Ten Tec Orion II, but that'll only happen if this radio is stolen or destroyed.

What DON'T I like about the radio? I think the fans are loud and they even come on when running QRP. Uh... hmmm... that's about it.

73, Steve N4SL Machias, WA, USA

W0CKI Rating: 2/5 Oct 24, 2006 17:24 Send this review to a friend
At best a 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also have returned the radio to Yaesu. 4 times, Only one in warranty so now I have spent close to $600.00 to keep the darn thing running. The last trip to the good repair techs there did produce a radio that is now performing very well.. Buy another Yaesu radio, WHEN PIGS FLY.

KC0PMO Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2006 22:24 Send this review to a friend
GREAT BUT NOT EXCELLENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently purchased the new Yaesu FT-2000 thinking it would be a nice upgrade from this radio. Don't get me wrong, the Mark V is a nice radio. I also have the narrow filters and roofing filter installed. I just thought the FT-2000 would be that much better, since it is the 2nd generation of the FTdx-9000 series. Actually the Mark V's noise reduction and notch filter work much better that the FT-2000. The FT-2000 DSP needs some improvement, because when you attempt to use the DNR, it makes all kinds of weird sounds. The notch filter is adjustable, but not as nice as the Mark V's. The only radio's I have found to work better than the FT-1000MP Mark V is the Icom IC-7000 and Icom IC-756 Pro III. (Please read my reviews on these radios) I wish I could I rate the radio great but not excellent. A 4.5 is my rating only because the Icom's seem to have a better sounding/working receive section.

YO3VU Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2006 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Falling short of great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did previously had an FT-1000MP, and been very satified with it. After that apeared the Mark-V and listening to it it convince me that the receiver is worth the money, after I have tried on the original MP lots of preselectors trying to match the capabilities of mark-V and couldn't do that. I have been very satisfied with him especialy with the new inrad roofing filter which it works great and you could still listen broadcast without problems even music. Two things are very important and not well made. First is the antenna tuner which I did have a fault on and second is the design of the linear amplifier. The antenna tuner have very high losses, and it is better that you use an antenna which resonates in the band you are working than a multiband antenna which is required the use of the tunner. Also it is extremly important to watch exactly the alc meter and keep it in range, otherwise you will want the money back. I did operate long hours and contests in rtty, but the alc was always below thw maximum. And one day I ignore it in ssb and had to purchase new transistors which were blown in nearly three hours. Many people had problems with the transistors but they ignore why. Keeping the alc in range will give you peace of mind and a trouble free transceiver.

NL7FK Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2006 17:07 Send this review to a friend
A lot of Bang for the Buck!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Mark V is an upgrade from my good ole FT-990 and boy what a difference. The receiver is one of the best I have ever used. The daily un-solicited audio reports reinforce the investment I made in this super performing rig.

There is a learning curve that has to be observed when moving up to a quality rig like the Mark V. Reading the manual is a must and a little background in radio helps as well. If you are a plug and play appliance operator you may want to look for another rig.

I did install the inrad filters and it makes a noticable difference for the better during contest operations and crowded band conditions.

If you are an operator who stays on one frequency and talks to the good ole boys on 75 meters you may find that you do not need this much rig because you will never use more than 10% of the available features on this baby.

If you are an operator who enjoys general ragchew, contesting, cw, and digital modes this is the rig for you. It is a breeze to use on digital modes and the filtering is just right. 200 watts is nice to have although I never run more than 50 watts since I run an amp. The rig just coasts along and is never stressed. When not using the amp the extra output power makes a difference between night and day.

I enjoy the VRF which I equate to the old pre-selectors and the EDSP on this rig works supurbly. Like many other radios the noise blanker is fair.

My radio was one of the last runs and I have no problems with key clicks or excessive hiss during receive.

Having the ability to taylor the audio is great. I run a Heil goldline with the studio element and I always get great audio reports. Nearly everyone wants to know how I get the rig to sound so good. The secret is in the manual and setting up the audio menu's correctly.
Here again READ THE MANUAL. It is worth the effort.

Working split on this rig is a breeze and it is the best I have used monitoring two frequencies on the same band. A great feature when contesting. Secure a calling frequency and hunt for multipliers at the same time. Note: This is a contest operators dream rig. Sure there are much more expensive rigs on the market now but for the money you will not more bang for the buck than with this super hero....

I hated to see that Yaesu stopped making this gem of a rig. Would I buy another one you bet I would. Am I sorry for making the investment in the rig. NO WAY! This rig is a keeper. If you get the chance to purchase one on the used market you better jump quick because many are also waiting for the chance to prounce on the opportunity to own this baby...

VE3BDB Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2006 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Nothing like it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was a retirement gift to myself in May of 2005. Having used the FT-990 which I purchased new in 1991, my impressions of Yaesu were positive. The FT-1000MP Mk V (200W) is even better. The features on this radio and the superior receiver make it a leader. Like the 990, it too is no longer in production. But I wouldn't part with either of them.

WK9L Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2006 18:02 Send this review to a friend
should have bought one sooner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the MkV a month or so and I think it is the best of the radio I have had in this shack. The radios I have had to compare are the TS950SDX and the Ft1000-MP-MKV Feild-TS850 and Icoms- Pro-Proll-746-746pro and Ten Tec's. I have did the inrad roofing filter mod and the filters. In my humble opinion this radio is truly a great rig. I think I am done looking!
And the QSK is out of this world every bit as good as Ten Tec's!

VE3WDM Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2006 15:08 Send this review to a friend
To bad no longer in production  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was not sure what rig to get it was a toss up between the ProIII or the FT-1000mp MkV. After some long thought I went with the 1000 and have not looked back at my choice. I loaded the rig with all filters and up to this point it has worked without any troubles. I went from an FT-857 to this rig and it is like day and night. Yes the power supply does have a bit of noise to it but it's on the floor and out of the way. Use the rig for PSK31 and RTTY great filtering and over all performance. On SSB it is nice to have the option of 200 watts as well. Sorry to hear that Yaesu has stopped production of this work horse. Folks if you can still find a new one GRAB it or get one used you will not be disappointed at all.

NB2A Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2006 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for a few years now to make this review. I must agree with a few other reviews on some main points. One being this radio has so many features that if not set properly you are cheating yourself and possibly making your RX time unpleasant.One mod that is a must is the one from Inrad to diminish the HISS level on RX.
It is again for the money the best buy especially with seeing current prices for the newer radios. I cannot see any ham radio costing upwards of 10 grand but thats another issue and topic in itself.In a hobby that needs growth that is not good business!It still AGAIN leads me to make the point this radio gives you more than all the others for the buck!My latest challenge with this radio is making its DSP audio a great interface with the W2IHY 8 band EQ and EQ plus.Another great combo with excellent product support.