Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Reviews: 172 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $3300
Description: Yaesu FT-1000MP MK5
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/markv.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.

N8NKC Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2007 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Desirable Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this rig because of the 200 watts out and the fact that it looks like a man's radio.I am getting better signal reports with the same antenna and the same conditions as my 100 watt rig.I believe the 200 watts helps.

Control layout is good and self explanitory. Working split is easy with just touching the TX button on the second receiver. You can receive the DX station's receive frequency on VFO A, while tuning for his transmit frequency on VFO B.

The only trouble I had was that the factory only set the CW output at 120 watts, and then I had to bring it in to AES to set it to 200 watts. Otherwise the rig has been flawless.

I highly recommend this transceiver.I plan to keep it even when I get my next one.

MW0ZZD Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2007 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Good radio and excellent service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned my FT1000MP Mk 5 for eighteen months and apart from one unexplained PA failure,I love it.The rig went back to Yaesu Uk at their expense and was collected from me same day!It was back with me in ten days,as good as new.
The original failure was that the rig just went dead and the external power supply seemed to indicate a short in the rig.
Anyway,all was well again as I said,in ten days.The communication with Yaesu Uk Service Dept can not be faulted,but I DID treat them with courtesy.Maybe that is the secret?

G0CGL Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2007 04:33 Send this review to a friend
Design flaws, reliability and support issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yaesu have had my last pound (North Americans read buck). The good and the bad about the rig itself have been reported ad infinitum. Last year mine suffered PA device failure running 30 watts in Class A. This is one of the design failures and reliabilty issues. Yaesu UK are a nightmare to deal with, taking 4 weeks to do nothing and then replacing the whole RF board to expedite matters after I wrote a letter of serious complaint. 6 months on and I have a repeat senario. My next radio is an Icom.

K6JEY Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2007 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Ergonomics and Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had a lot of radio in 50 years and the Mark V is my favorite. I'd like to highlight several aspects of the MKV not previously mentioned.
The knobs. The tuning knob has a smooth, sensitive feel to it. It seems to "bring you into the radio". The panel is also laid out for function rather than geometry.
The audio. The analogue audio out on CW makes listening to weak CW signals a pleasure. Many radios with DSP demodulation have audio that is muddy. The audio on the MKV is clear and seems undistorted.
The receiving features all work to extract the most from signals. Some radios with lots of buttons and knobs are just "fiddly".Controls interact or have little effect. The MkV has a very solid receiver where each tool/control has a specific effect on signals.
Probably the best receiver I have ever had. The transmitter is also superior.
In the first week I had it I worked 3B8CF on 40cw with a vertical. Conditions were fair. He was weak but the MkV pulled him out.
Doug

EI3GDB Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2007 13:43 Send this review to a friend
FINE RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being one not to rush in to things i said to myself it was time to write this review,and to do this radio some justice,dont know how anybody can write up a review ie time owned less than 3 months.I have owned this ft1000mpv for over 3 years and it has never faultered in anyway what so ever sure i have heard and read all the pros and cons on air and off,i did add the optional ssb and cw filters and thats all as for the inrad roofing filter, never bothered with it mine came with an rf gain control and a width and shift control and an att db all whitch are adjustable from the front panel ,all in all i find this rig a great radio and value for money thats about it from me just thought i would add my pennies worth and yes you do have to swallow the manual for the first 3 months i am still learning after over 3 years or perhaps i am a little slow,73 from EI3GDB JIM

KE4QDC Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2006 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I acquired the Mark V used and it had the Inrad roofing filter and the Inrad SSB filters in the 2nd & 3rd IF. When I first started using the rig I was very unhappy with the performance. Not only did the fan make a noise and cause a vibration in the rig but the receive really seemed down. After a few months and a gut feeling something was wrong on advice from a few ham friends I contacted Byron Campbell WA4GEG that is the king of techs on Yaesu's. I recommend him highly if anyone needs work done on any radio. Anyway he found that the Inrad roofing filter was defective. In order to get the rig in specs he had to remove the roofing filter. He also replaced the fan blower and did a complete TX & RX alignment along with the NB mod & key click mod. All I can say now is WOW WOW WOW. What a great rig. The fan is quiet and the receive is as good as any radio I have had in the shack. I have had 746pro,756proIII, ts-950SD, TS-870. This rig holds its own against any of them. I could not believe the difference when putting the rig back on the air. The interfence fighting features work super. Read the manual over & over as stated before this is not a plug & play radio. As far as the Inrad roofing filter goes unless you are a serious DX chaser or contester it really is not necessary. I have sent it back to Inrad asking for a free replacement but we will have to wait and see what happens with that. I never knew how much of a great radio this was until it got all straighten out by the king of techs Byron Campbell. HE is the greatest and very nice to deal with and does the best quality work.

N4SL Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2006 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Five Year Summary  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio for just over 5 years now, never had a lick of trouble with it. I installed a lot of Inrad filters and the Inrad Roofing Filter which helps it compete with the newer radios.

I use it 90% for CW contesting but I do some SSB and RTTY/PSK31 with it, too. I use it in a full-QRO SO2R system with an Elecraft K2/100 as the other radio.

I like the radio, I'm glad I bought it, but I wouldn't buy it again, I'd get a Ten Tec Orion II, but that'll only happen if this radio is stolen or destroyed.

What DON'T I like about the radio? I think the fans are loud and they even come on when running QRP. Uh... hmmm... that's about it.

73, Steve N4SL Machias, WA, USA

W0CKI Rating: 2/5 Oct 24, 2006 17:24 Send this review to a friend
At best a 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also have returned the radio to Yaesu. 4 times, Only one in warranty so now I have spent close to $600.00 to keep the darn thing running. The last trip to the good repair techs there did produce a radio that is now performing very well.. Buy another Yaesu radio, WHEN PIGS FLY.

KC0PMO Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2006 22:24 Send this review to a friend
GREAT BUT NOT EXCELLENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently purchased the new Yaesu FT-2000 thinking it would be a nice upgrade from this radio. Don't get me wrong, the Mark V is a nice radio. I also have the narrow filters and roofing filter installed. I just thought the FT-2000 would be that much better, since it is the 2nd generation of the FTdx-9000 series. Actually the Mark V's noise reduction and notch filter work much better that the FT-2000. The FT-2000 DSP needs some improvement, because when you attempt to use the DNR, it makes all kinds of weird sounds. The notch filter is adjustable, but not as nice as the Mark V's. The only radio's I have found to work better than the FT-1000MP Mark V is the Icom IC-7000 and Icom IC-756 Pro III. (Please read my reviews on these radios) I wish I could I rate the radio great but not excellent. A 4.5 is my rating only because the Icom's seem to have a better sounding/working receive section.

YO3VU Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2006 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Falling short of great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did previously had an FT-1000MP, and been very satified with it. After that apeared the Mark-V and listening to it it convince me that the receiver is worth the money, after I have tried on the original MP lots of preselectors trying to match the capabilities of mark-V and couldn't do that. I have been very satisfied with him especialy with the new inrad roofing filter which it works great and you could still listen broadcast without problems even music. Two things are very important and not well made. First is the antenna tuner which I did have a fault on and second is the design of the linear amplifier. The antenna tuner have very high losses, and it is better that you use an antenna which resonates in the band you are working than a multiband antenna which is required the use of the tunner. Also it is extremly important to watch exactly the alc meter and keep it in range, otherwise you will want the money back. I did operate long hours and contests in rtty, but the alc was always below thw maximum. And one day I ignore it in ssb and had to purchase new transistors which were blown in nearly three hours. Many people had problems with the transistors but they ignore why. Keeping the alc in range will give you peace of mind and a trouble free transceiver.