Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Reviews: 177 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $3300
Description: Yaesu FT-1000MP MK5
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/markv.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.

N6TZV Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2007 23:55 Send this review to a friend
Flawless Workhorse!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Mark V for over 5 Years without any trouble. Before that I have owned the Yaesu 1000 MP, and 1000D, as well as many Icom, a few Kenwood and Ten Tec radios, and an Elecraft K2. The Mk V has been a workhorse, and always delivers good performance. This radio has the Inrad roofing filter added, as well as the high stability crystal and all accessory filters from both Yaesu and Inrad.

The roofing filter does indeed improve overload characteristics and close in dynamic rage quite a bit. I was able to compare the 1000MP to the MKV side by side for a few weeks before selling the former. The bands seem much less cluttered on the MK V, even in very crowded contest situations. This is noticeable on both SSB and CW. It is possible to tune right next to a very strong station and hear very weak signals with no trouble. The roofing filter mod is highly recommended and makes this rig even more of a joy to use.

All the receiver controls are useful in fighting QRM. The shift and width controls are even more effective on the MP than the predecessors. I did really love the ability of mixing filters on the MP, but the resultant pairings on the MK V work fine and I don't miss the extra flexibility in practice. The DSP is also useful at times. The cascaded filters are amazing for working close in.

All in all I have enjoyed owning this radio and operating it. It works well for both SSB and CW. The receiver audio has perhaps a bit more hiss than a very few others, but the options for attenuation and tuned preamps makes this a moot point. It can be dealt with. But the "analog" sound is quite pleasing, and to me superior to the DSP sound of many of the newer radios including the FT 2000 and Pro III.

Ergonomics, panel layout, menus, are all easy to learn and use.
I always get really great audio reports using a Heil 5 Proset. When needed, the RF processor allows mild to "chainsaw" processing with great results. This adds punch and intelligibility and is almost impossible to overdo. Great sounding rig.

All in all, a great effort from Yaesu in the long line of 1000 radios that made their DX reputation. This one is a classic.

KB1PDZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 15:09 Send this review to a friend
6 year review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine Jan. 2001
This rig has been absolutely flawless.
With the 200w of power I am able to make contact with any station I can hear.
I must admit some of this may be due to antenna.
great audio reports (unsolicited)
I also must admit the W2Ihy 8 band EQ/ W2IHY EQ Plus and the MD 200 may help this.
This will be my last rig until I ware it out

K8DO Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2007 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Long time user  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, it is from their first production run and it is not perfect and it was back for repairs 3 times, but still gets a 5 - so why?

Well, because I have a raft of other rigs to compare and every single one has failed one or more times - and because this rating system doesn't have 4.65 available to me...

My TR7 had to go back twice
My Kenwoods (oh gawd, gag me with a stick)
My Icom's (too painful to remember)
My Omni 6's (563's - 3 of them) went back at least 1 or 2 times each (forget now)
My current Omni 6+ (564)went back twice
My FT-990 went back once
My spanking new Orion 2 failed right out of the box when it popped the breaker the instant I turned it on (fixed without sending back)

Also, my new cars have had problems, every single one including the 2007 I'm driving (well the xyl has the keys but I'm allowed to admire it as I walk past to my 9 year old truck)

So, why do I still like my MK-V? Well, ergonomically it is a fine contesting radio splits are a breeze, it hears well, runs cool at 100w continuous RTTY (I contest low power), good filters (Inrad mods)etc. ... It has powered me to some top tens and first places in some contests... When you have experienced enough radios you recognize that none are perfect - unless they sit on the bench and just get admired - it is when you put them in a contest and pound the snot out of them for 48 hours at a stretch they all begin to show the weak spots...

The MK-V will replace the 1000D as a legend as the decades go by...

KG8JF Rating: 3/5 Oct 9, 2007 05:49 Send this review to a friend
I got rid of mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I went for this radio because I had owned an Ft-990 and figured that the time increment would imply a technology increment. It did not. One day I started looking at the receiver reviews in ARRL and then had to actually learn what the numbers meant. The Ft 1000MP MK V had just awful numbers. I bought an Orion I. Most of these performance numbers are transparant to a SSB operator, which I am. I just want to own the best technology and performance I can afford.

M0IOD Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2007 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Good performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned a FT 1000MP MKV for around a year or so and until replacing it with my current transceiver I though it one of the best rigs I had used(overall). The audio on TX and RX could be tailored to sound just great. In my experience(of the rigs I have owned including IC 746PRO,IC 7400,IC 756 PRO,IC 756PRO2, IC 765, IC 775DSP TS 870,TS 940, TS 2000 FT 990,FT 1000MP) the receiver is beaten in terms of low noise floor only by the IC 775DSP. It seemed to be "not very sensitive" compared to other rigs.
Rejection was adequate(no extra filters aside) .
TX Audio out can be set just right and i found it just behind that of the TS 870.
With 200 watts on board this radio obviously could power on without any linear amplifier.

The FP 29 30 volt external power supply and a little concern about Receive sensitivity were the down side to this lovely radio. The FP 29 will cost the best part of 400 (yes around $800) to replace new over here in ROB (Rip Off Britain).

I weighed up the pros and cons and went for a new FT 2000 which so far has been the best move I have made.

So the trusty FT 1000MP MKV scores a 4 in my book.

Cheers Ian M0IOD

N8NKC Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2007 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Desirable Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this rig because of the 200 watts out and the fact that it looks like a man's radio.I am getting better signal reports with the same antenna and the same conditions as my 100 watt rig.I believe the 200 watts helps.

Control layout is good and self explanitory. Working split is easy with just touching the TX button on the second receiver. You can receive the DX station's receive frequency on VFO A, while tuning for his transmit frequency on VFO B.

The only trouble I had was that the factory only set the CW output at 120 watts, and then I had to bring it in to AES to set it to 200 watts. Otherwise the rig has been flawless.

I highly recommend this transceiver.I plan to keep it even when I get my next one.

MW0ZZD Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2007 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Good radio and excellent service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned my FT1000MP Mk 5 for eighteen months and apart from one unexplained PA failure,I love it.The rig went back to Yaesu Uk at their expense and was collected from me same day!It was back with me in ten days,as good as new.
The original failure was that the rig just went dead and the external power supply seemed to indicate a short in the rig.
Anyway,all was well again as I said,in ten days.The communication with Yaesu Uk Service Dept can not be faulted,but I DID treat them with courtesy.Maybe that is the secret?

G0CGL Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2007 04:33 Send this review to a friend
Design flaws, reliability and support issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yaesu have had my last pound (North Americans read buck). The good and the bad about the rig itself have been reported ad infinitum. Last year mine suffered PA device failure running 30 watts in Class A. This is one of the design failures and reliabilty issues. Yaesu UK are a nightmare to deal with, taking 4 weeks to do nothing and then replacing the whole RF board to expedite matters after I wrote a letter of serious complaint. 6 months on and I have a repeat senario. My next radio is an Icom.

K6JEY Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2007 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Ergonomics and Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had a lot of radio in 50 years and the Mark V is my favorite. I'd like to highlight several aspects of the MKV not previously mentioned.
The knobs. The tuning knob has a smooth, sensitive feel to it. It seems to "bring you into the radio". The panel is also laid out for function rather than geometry.
The audio. The analogue audio out on CW makes listening to weak CW signals a pleasure. Many radios with DSP demodulation have audio that is muddy. The audio on the MKV is clear and seems undistorted.
The receiving features all work to extract the most from signals. Some radios with lots of buttons and knobs are just "fiddly".Controls interact or have little effect. The MkV has a very solid receiver where each tool/control has a specific effect on signals.
Probably the best receiver I have ever had. The transmitter is also superior.
In the first week I had it I worked 3B8CF on 40cw with a vertical. Conditions were fair. He was weak but the MkV pulled him out.
Doug

EI3GDB Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2007 13:43 Send this review to a friend
FINE RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being one not to rush in to things i said to myself it was time to write this review,and to do this radio some justice,dont know how anybody can write up a review ie time owned less than 3 months.I have owned this ft1000mpv for over 3 years and it has never faultered in anyway what so ever sure i have heard and read all the pros and cons on air and off,i did add the optional ssb and cw filters and thats all as for the inrad roofing filter, never bothered with it mine came with an rf gain control and a width and shift control and an att db all whitch are adjustable from the front panel ,all in all i find this rig a great radio and value for money thats about it from me just thought i would add my pennies worth and yes you do have to swallow the manual for the first 3 months i am still learning after over 3 years or perhaps i am a little slow,73 from EI3GDB JIM