Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig G8 Traveler II Digital Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig G8 Traveler II Digital
Grundig G8 Traveler II Digital Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $50
Description: AM/FM/Shortwave coverage
6.625"x4.125"x1.125" 12.2 Oz

You can write your own review of the Grundig G8 Traveler II Digital.

KP4FAR Rating: 3/5 Mar 25, 2014 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these. The first one was traded so eventually I bougth a new one when RS was offering them at about $30.00. This one was good except for the fact that sometimes the light does not turn on and some of the buttons don't work. Then I have to take out the batteries for at least 24 hours, hit the reset button and get everything working normally again. When it is working the little chap does a great job of pulling in stations with the whip antenna. Audio is good and AM sensitivity excellent. The extra controls for the clock are OK. Nice radio to grab and go.

VA3AEX Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With my Grundig Traveller II's (the older brother with the analog dial)volume control becoming problematic, I decided to replace it with the G8 Traveller II Digital. The G8 is light years ahead of its older brother! Frequency coverage is more comprehensive, and the back lit digital readout lets you know exactly where you are on the dial. Headphone listening is a must as while sound quality is also better the tiny mono speaker can't deliver a big full sound.

Overall its great value for money and a lot of fun.

ROBWIN12000 Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 15:34 Send this review to a friend
excellent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a couple of these grundig g8 radios before . These radios are really wonderful . AM , FM and SW are very sensitivity and selective . There is no keypad on this reciever . Tunning is done by a tunning wheel or a push button band switch like switching from 49 meter to 41 meter to 31 meter to 25 meter and so on . Like I said no keying in frequencys . The sound is good for the size of this radio . I really can not think of anything I do not like about this small receiver . I have had the sony icf-7600 radio receiver and I would say this is a winner and a keeper . Takes 3 aa batterys .

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2010 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Its FIXED works GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I brought a Grundig G8 at R/S about a month ago, this radio works GREAT on AM FM and SW I could not be happier with it *****+ best of the best, the poster before me said AM was not good, this one works better than any AM radio I have ever had, an I have had a bunch, you can be sure of that. Had my house stuccoed about 5 years ago an my AM reception became a real challange after that, tried about 25 AM/FM radios and the only one that had worked well was my Grundig Satellit 650 which is a BIG BIG radio. On FM it pulls in a station 100 miles a way top notch and I am about 50 miles from the weak AM station I lisson to at night, no problem for this little guy, .................KB6HRT

TERRYW Rating: 2/5 Apr 10, 2010 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Great FM, Terrible AM  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I kept this one as it's the only radio I've got that can sniff out an FM station from the other side of the state, one that has local powerhouses on both sides of it. Playing around with the whip angle and direction, I can get that station with no interference. That's some impressive selectivity. My other radios can't escape the interference no matter how much fiddling I do. Very clear and nice FM reception up and down the band.

AM is horrible on it. It sounds like it has super-fast AGC, with choppy audio and fluttering volume. Not so bad on a strong signal, but mid to weak signals are so fluttery there's no sense listening to them. Since this is another rebadged TecSun, the bad AM could be sample-to-sample variance and better on another sample, but I was happy with the FM and kept the G8 for that.

Tuning sucks. You have to crawl along on the dial in order to advance through a band normally. If you do more than crawl, you start leaping by 100 kHz steps. Should have a button switching between fast and slow tuning.

Pros:
Great selectivity on FM
Decent sensitivity on FM
Nice speaker
Good on batteries

Cons:
Annoying speed-sensitive tuning steps
Choppy volume on AM leaves it unlistenable
Sensitivity on MW/SW isn't very good

It's a cheap radio, especially on sale. You should be pleased with the FM, so give it a shot if that's where you're interest lies.

ZS00011 Rating: 4/5 Jan 21, 2010 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Good value for money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Monitoring Times magazine has a very comprehensive detailed two page review on this little radio in it's January 2010 issue.
My own experience of this radio which I have owned for four months mirrors theirs exactly.
Average AM BCB MW band reception - whistles a lot on some stations that doesn't happen with other radio's of mine - not bad altogether though.

Outstanding stable FM reception, even of the weakest most marginal stations - best of all my many radio's bar none on FM.
Average reasonable SW reception, only marred by a pumping of the AGC which makes the audio too low one minute then too high the next as the signal strengthens.

Altogether a satisfying little radio for 50 bucks, which translates to good value for money.

Not the best SW receiver ever as one reviewer would have you believe, just average. As for him claiming the G8 is superior to a Redsun RP2100, this is nonsense; the RP2100 is in a better higher league altogether.

Certainly good value for money, but some more expensive radio's are much better, including the larger Grundig's.

John Plimmer, Montagu, Western Cape Province, South Africa
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.

VK2IMM Rating: 3/5 Jan 2, 2010 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Fails to impress on SW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this modern receiver hoping to hear some broadcast stations on SW bands. Unfortunately it had rather poor performance in this area. While using it outside I managed to get several audible stations on 19 and 25m bands. That was with a whip antenna. Nearly every station had some phantom signal with it as if there as problem with demodulation or RFI from local FM/AM broadcasters. Connecting a wire to the whip made things worse. In some cases touching a whip would “unlock” reception after frequency change.

MW AM reception was quite good and adjacent channel selectivity was much better than in couple of other radios I have.

FM reception was OK.

I shall mention that G8 has some nice features like displaying S/N ratio in db, received signal level and temperature (!).

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2009 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Best sw portable ever?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second review of the G8.

The Grundig G8 is touted and sold as an outstanding MW receiver wirh a digital IC chip for superior selectivity. When I first purchased it it seemed inferior on SW with alot of overload so I never used it for that. Recently I purchased a Redsun RP2100 and decided to do an A-B comparison. Weak signal reception is actually far superior on the G8.

The best way to use the radio is with an outside 20-30 foot reel type wire antenna clipped to the built in antenna with your thumb under the radio and your fingers covering the retracted antenna. As such this radio springs to life and I hear stations all night long 5-10 khz apart on 49, 41, and 31 meters. I hear stations I've never heard before and even heard one of the Canadian low power regionals that I haven't heard in years. When correctly used (detuning 1-3 khz for greater treble) this small portable matches or exceeds my R-1000, FT-840, and ICF-2010. The only downside is some bleed through of strong MW stations but this is mostly on the highest frequency bands.

For those of you out there who just use the G8 for medium wave - give it a try. When correctly used this radio is the bomb on shortwave.

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2009 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Surprise on SW  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Grundig G8 is touted and sold as an outstanding MW receiver wirh a digital IC chip for superior selectivity. When I first purchased it it seemed inferior on SW with alot of overload so I never used it for that. Recently I purchased a Redsun RP2100 and decided to do an A-B comparison. Reception of All india Radio and Radio Thailand were acrually far superior on the G8. These distent stations from Florida are the the best tests for me as to shortwave performance.

The trick is you have to manipulate the antenna and orient it just right ro get the most gain without overloading the rf stage. I listen to mine with the antenna extended just two sections and my hand touching the antenna. I then detune by 3khz to increase treble in the audio. When correctly used this small portable matches or exceeds my R-1000, FT-840, and ICF-2010.

For those of you out there who just use the G8 for medium wave - give it a try.

LRDHEAT Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2009 16:39 Send this review to a friend
neat set  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Exceptional selectivity on am/fm bands, decent selectivity on sw. Amazing to hear stations 10 KHz away from a local on am over much of a 360 degree sweep as opposed to over a tiny null space. One can detune 1 KHz if desired to furthur clean up a signal. FM is also remarkable in a lack of mixing products and images that are so often heard in an urban setting loaded with locals. On shortwave, reception is good...not as sensitive as a G5 or a 7600GR, but decent. 2 important notes with sw in mind:

1). In an urban setting loaded with local am's, all sorts of noise obliterates everything up and down the sw bands. This can be overcome easily by having a finger in contact with the whip. This does not impact sensitivity in a meaningful manner.

2). The radio attenuates signals that fall below a default threshold. Signals that are rising and falling about this threshold result in considerable flutter in volume. This can also be overcome by detuning 1 KHz. The radio will then behave in a more expected fashion...the volume may need to be adjusted up when detuned.

Radio tunes at 1 KHz and 5 KHz steps; if one tunes quickly, the steps are 10 KHz, and 100 KHz. FM also has 2 tuning rates. One can also advance upward or downward 1 entire band at a time on sw. The radio does not retain last tuned frequency in each sw band, but does retain last sw station tuned, last am station tuned, and last fm station tuned.

Very convenient size, and convenient little carry case.

Plenty of memories...haven't messed with that yet.