Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | W3YY FSK/CW Optically Isolated PC Interface Help

Reviews Summary for W3YY FSK/CW Optically Isolated PC Interface
W3YY FSK/CW Optically Isolated PC Interface Reviews: 15 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $25.00
Description: FSK/CW Optically Isolated PC Interface Kit for Keying Ham Transmitters and Transceivers
More info: http://www.w3yy.com/fsk.htm

You can write your own review of the W3YY FSK/CW Optically Isolated PC Interface.

KX4R Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2013 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Great Product !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the W3YY FSK interface to use with my FT-2000D. I spent the day today building the kit and wiring the appropriate cables for the transceiver according to Bob's excellent instructions.
I hooked it all up to the rig and computer and within just a few minutes had it up and running MMTTY with some program advice from Mike K4PI.
I've been a ham for almost 43 years and today made my first qso's on RTTY thanks to Bob's great interface. Just can't get any simpler than this !
While tuning around , just to get used to how to receive the TTY signals, I heard a station crank up on 20 meters.....it was Clipperton, TX5K !
Put the rig into split, went up 5 kc and worked him with just a few calls !
I now have 3 countries worked on RTTY and I'm hooked ! If you've never tried this mode, order a kit from Bob and get busy !
Thanks Bob for a great product at a very reasonable price !
73, Greg KX4R

N0IU Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2012 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Kudos to W3YY!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a new radio that does FSK and the W3YY interface was mentioned on AA5AU's website. I had some initial questions about whether or not it would work with my radio specifically and Bob answered my emails promptly. He sent me a "compability guide" with some tests that would answer the question, "Is My Transceiver Compatible with the W3YY FSK/CW Interface?"

After I ordered the kit, he sent the generic assembly instructions plus a wiring diagram for my radio specifically. I was on the air less than an hour after the mail arrived.

The one point I want to make, as have many others who have reviewed it, is that the one thing you get with the kit in addition to the PCB, components and instructions is Bob himself. He is what excellent customer service is all about. At $29 (+$3 s&h), he isn't getting rich from selling these kits. Considering all the time he spent answering my emails and downloading the manual for my radio to make sure it was compatible, he may have even lost money!

Don AA5AU calls this "lagniappe", the Cajun term for ""something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure." Obviously Bob's primary objective is putting a very high quality product on the market for a very reasonable price as a way of showing us how much amateur radio means to him!

AJ4CG Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2012 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Great product and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had previously built a homebrew interface that grew with my interest in digital modes to become a hodgepodge of transistors, an iso-isolator, and two serial ports. I decided that it was time for a single port well isolated replacement. I bought the kit version of Bob's interface, put it a metal box with two isolation transformers for the audio, and an attenuator for the PC audio. I have it working CW, FSK, PSK31 and USB (via N1MM). Bob is a great guy to work with and it genuinely interested in your project and its success. The kit was very well done with a quality pc board and components. Ferite beads were also included.

KD9MS Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2012 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I didn't like AFSK because I have an FT2000 with the RTTY port that just seemed to be wasted. I bought the kit just wanting to do RTTY with it and MixW but initially I couldn't get it to work. Wrong settings! Once I got it right I can do both RTTY and CW on the same port without changing the settings. I love this interface and will probably build another for my second radio for SO2R. The kit is easy to build and since I have numerous old serial cables, why not! I recommend it. It works great with MMTTY too!
Craig KD9MS

N6WIN Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2011 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I built the kit into a metal project box using my FT2000's supplied DIN plug and an old DB9 for the computer side. I am only using it for FSK as my CW is done by another excellent product (Winkeyer USB).

I really enjoy not adjusting the FT2000 for AFSK as I had to use both VFO's... very slow when S&P in RTTY contests. Now I just tune with the main dial and everything is fast.

Extremely easy kit to build even for a novice kit builder like myself.

W9CPI Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2011 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Works great with my K3  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the assembled version with the pre-assembled cabling for the K3. It worked first time just as described. What a pleasure to use in both RTTY and CW contests with N1MM logger. Thanks for a fine product!

W8JWN Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2011 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally, I have a FSK interface for the FT-1000MP. AFSK adjustments slowed me down in the RTTY contests. Now, both radios are FSK ready. Bob has done a wonderful job.

K9OM Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2010 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding CW/FSK Interface!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted a reliable and easy to use CW/FSK Interface for my Yaesu FT-1000-MP. Bob's W3YY Interface is the perfect match.

I purchased the pre-assembled unit which is professionally assembled in a shielded metal case. The unit is complete with cables and matching connectors pre-assembled.

Though an active ham for 40+ years this was my first time on RTTY. I had many RTTY questions and Bob was very helpful and extremely patient. Bob even made a sked with me to confirm my radio was working and W3YY was my first RTTY qso!

Thanks Bob for an oustanding CW/FSK Interface and wonderful 1st Class service!

Dick- K9OM

K6RJP Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2010 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Plug-n-Play !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I emailed Bob and asked him if he could build me a serial interface to FSK key my IC-746Pro. I just wanted the FSK and CW, He emailed Back "No Problem", quoted me a price and we made the deal. When the unit came I saw it was a first class build.
I did a few tweaks on MMTTY and CWDecoderXP to drive the unit and have never looked back! I hope HRD writes a serial port FSK driver for the DM870 soon because Bob's unit is killer for true, real FSK. If you want to use all the built in RTTY goodies your radio has, get one of these!

N6HE Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2010 07:26 Send this review to a friend
I love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is truly a plug-and-play interface! I've messed with other interfaces (brand names you'd recognize), but "there was always something..." - and to be fair, a lot of it was my lack of understanding of the serial port part of things. And don't even get me started on USB-Serial port adapters!

The W3YY unit looked good on paper, so I give it one more chance and buy the assembled unit. It's a professionally made unit and Bob even custom-made the unit to match the connectors on my Omni VII.

I get it hooked up per the rig-specific diagram provided (even with the USB-Serial adapter provided - it all installed perfectly - for once!) and all worked 100% on CW, but the RTTY portion still gave me fits (I still didn't understand the ins-and-outs of the serial port pinouts and pin functions) - Bob replies instantly and holds my hand through the process of making it work both with MMTTY and Writelog. So now as well as having my home station all set up, I can connect my laptop to the Omni VII through the W3YY interface and can go portable with RTTY. And I now finally understand all the DTR-RTS-TxD alphabet soup). Most of his help was beyond the scope of his obligation, but he did it for me anyway.

Bob, W3YY, was right there for me, and even enlisted another Omni VII user of the W3YY unit to assist me by email, too! The whole operation was like talking to Elmers rather than "a customer service department."

A+ for the W3YY CW/RTTY Interface!

Ray N6HE