Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Help

Reviews Summary for WOUXUN KG-UVD1P
WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Reviews: 152 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $110.00
Description: A DUAL BAND [UHF,VHF] HT WITH DTMF AND MULTIPLE FREQUENCY RANGES TO ACCOMMODATE VARYING COUNTRIES PROFESSIONAL RADIO MARKETS
More info: http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UVD1P.htm

You can write your own review of the WOUXUN KG-UVD1P.

KC0LRP Rating: 1/5 Apr 19, 2014 17:04 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
It just up and quite for no reason the only thing it will do is receive F.M.radio no transmit and it was just setting on my desk and went to check in on Sunday night net and nothing.

KQ4KK Rating: 2/5 Jan 8, 2014 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Danger Will Robinson  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had 3 of these. The one I have left is still working for some reason. One of the largest, original US importers just sent out two scathing emails about the built-in issues and lack of factory support to fix manufacturing problems. He states the radios after some time, the memories die, and the radio reverts to Chinese. He says Wouxun knows this, but will do nothing about it.

ZL4XYZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2013 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Great and cheap  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 of these, one at home, one in the landrover and the final in the motorcycle.
Great wee hand held. I use the KG commander software to program from KC8UNJ, which is easy to edit and use.
I have never had a problems with any and they get used almost every day. The best thing is because of the low cost I don't mind if I drop one into water and kill it.

K0NHV Rating: 3/5 Oct 2, 2013 10:41 Send this review to a friend
I've bricked two of these so far...  Time owned: more than 12 months
They are both usable once again after running the rescue patch available on the Internet, but it's not the same as the original firmware...

I still like 'em anyway...

KS3J Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2013 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive, SOLID.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these at the Shelby hamfest as a backup to my older Icom IC-W32A. I must say it's an amazing radio. Programming it is pretty simple, although I did need the manual to figure out how to get from preset to VFO mode. Setting up and using the software with the USB programming cable was a snap.

One thing I've noticed is the battery contacts. They protrude from the back of the battery and are absolutely unprotected. Shorting them would be a very bad thing, so if you carry a spare battery, keep it in an insulating bag to prevent this.

KG6BRG Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2013 07:27 Send this review to a friend
good HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
suited for ham radio.

KG6BRG Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2013 07:09 Send this review to a friend
very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't know if I've reviewed these here or not, but since I've owned 2 of these for more than 2 years now I'll give a long term test. I have both a 2/220 and a 2/440 version. The original batteries are still going strong, nothing has broken, they still program via the key pad or computer; What's not to like? I think the build quality is as good or better than any of the Yaesu, Icom, and Alinco's I've had in the past. Not that those HT's were bad, but they cost a lot more and did less (single bands). I'm especially impressed with the battery capacity and charging times. All in all you can't go wrong with one of these HT's. They have been called "disposable" by some who seem hate Chinese electronics, nothing could be further from the truth, they are a quality transceiver well suited for ham radio.

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 13:44 Send this review to a friend
A really fun radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up an older barely used 2 meter/220 version for a song from a friend who kept it as a spare. It's no Kenwood TH-F6A (I have one) but it isn't trying to be one.

My friend is blind and learned to program it from the keyboard. He taught me how and it isn't difficult. Some people say the software and cable are an absolute must. They aren't.

It's got some ergonomic quirks but they aren't serious. The keyboard is a lot easier to use than the one in the Kenwood. It was designed to be a commercial radio hence the emphasis on channel numbers instead of frequencies.

The fit and finish are fine and the accessories are dirt cheap. My Kenwood SMC-34 speaker mic, which is designed for the TH-F6A, works great on it. People who know what I sound like in person say the transmit audio is excellent with both the built in mic and speaker mic.

I'm using a Diamond RH77CA antenna, which isn't supposed to be good for transmitting on 220. It hears better and gets out better on 220 than the stock duck, which was already quite good. A friend uses his 2 meter/220 on 220 with a 20 year old 2 meter/440 mag mount antenna. He gets out very well with it.

I've been having a serious desense problem with the Kenwood on 220 in some locations. I still get a little with the Wouxun but not nearly as much. The receiver runs circles around the Kenwood but it's DC to daylight so there have to be compromises.

I'd be extremely happy even if I'd paid full price. Highly recommended.

K6QT Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2013 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me first start off by saying that there are two models within a model for this one: a KG-UVD1P for 2M/70CM and one for 2M/1M (I hate using the 12-syllable "the two hundred and twenty two megahertz band", sorry). I have six of these and have had three over a year and three for about three months. I have heard that some have had trouble, but I haven't had a lick of trouble with any one of them. I got them from a guy in Canada, who had an FCC type accepted version, which transmits out of band (which I love, because in the case of a real emergency, it's possible to contact other agencies in the area). On 1M, it transmits on 219-222 MHz, which is nice and which other radios (even Alinco) don't do. The radio doesn't have a true memory function as we know it with other radios. It's sort of a "pseudo-memory", but it may as well be a real memory function. It doesn't bother me too much. I need a manual with me always -- or my 13-year-old Extra (got it when he was 11) son who has the whole thing memorized. The range is good. I can always hit the 2M/1M repeaters in the area I can hit with most of my other 21 HTs. The one thing you have to watch out for is the battery meter. It will show full bars almost until the battery is out. Then it will suddenly shut down. So carry a spare with you. However, you can get, I think, 1800 mAh batteries for a very good price for this radio. The radio comes with a quick charger, which is a huge bonus. For some radios this is $40 or more. (I've seen $80 or $90 -- the popular Yaesu FT-60R's quick charger is in this more expensive range.) There's not much more I can say that hasn't already been said by others. I do love these little radios, though.

KF4BUK Rating: 0/5 May 15, 2013 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Battery drain problem!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi,
I've had this radio for about a year now. The
first thing I noticed was that it slowing drains
the battery down even though the switch is off.
It finally killed my lithium battery so I got
the AA case and put in Duracell batteries. It
drained those too, so its definitely in the radio.
Don't waste your money on this radio as they have
not got the bugs out of it, yet!