Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Help

Reviews Summary for WOUXUN KG-UVD1P
WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Reviews: 156 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $110.00

You can write your own review of the WOUXUN KG-UVD1P.

VE5EIS Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2015 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Good value in a quality radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read some of these reviews and I wonder if people are talking about the same radio.

I've had mine for a year and a half. I've since acquired two Icoms and a Kenwood, plus three Baofengs and a Puxing. All of them have some aspect or other that gives them an edge over the others, but I still have the Wouxun. Here's what I'd say about it:

- Compared to the Baofengs (which admittedly are cheaper) it's way more sensitive. It seems in the ballpark of the sensitivity of the Japanese radios.
- the batteries seem to have good life. I got a dual-slot charger and an extra battery so it's easy to swap between batteries if I use the HT a bunch, but I haven't found a lot of need for a second battery.
- the stock antenna leaves something to be desired, but it is better than the stock Baofeng antennas, and the stock Japanese antennas have the same problem. Buy one of those extended 17-inch whips and you'll do way better. (Wouxun makes a nice collapsible one if you don't mind a metal antenna. It is still resonant while collapsed, if you want greater compactness at the expense of gain. Use it fully collapsed or fully extended, but not in between.)
- if you learn how, you can definitely program this radio manually, but it is way easier to program it on a computer. None of my radios are that fun to program manually, so I don't think the Wouxun is at a huge disadvantage here. Buy a programming cable (the cheap ones work great with Linux; with Windows you'll save some mental anguish by buying a genuine Kenwood cable, which uses the same pinout and will have better Windows drivers). CHIRP is free and will program these radios under Linux, Windows or Mac OS X (as well as being able to program a lot of other radios).

Overall - probably the best value in an HT. Better than the Baofengs (which are still worth buying given the cost), but this is a superior everyday radio if you're only going to own one.
KK8ZZ Rating: 0/5 Jan 2, 2015 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Terrible  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Eventually, you will prefer to shoot yourself in the head before you ever want to program these beasts by hand. I often wonder how many potentially great hams have just quit the hobby after buying one of these dogs. Run, do not walk, if you're ever even offered one free. Get a Kenwood K-20 or something like it that is still a bargain but won't cause you to stroke out when you unbox one. There should be a special place in radio Hell for Wouxun for manufacturing these and sending them to America.
K8WRS Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
The manual tells you not to charge it with the radio on but some people don't read.
This is the best China is offering unless it is made there by a Japan company with better quality control.
Built strong, operates well and you can get an English translation of how to program it on line.
It really beats the $40.00 radio by leaps and bounds in quality. Maybe I was lucky but none of the members of the clubs I belong to complain about this radio and many own it.
Many also like the $40.00 radio but my expectations are higher, they feel cheap and seem to have a brittle case. I traded for one but have not used it extensively. So it cost me nothing which I expect it to be worth?
I have a Yaesu VX-5R I paid over $350. for but programing it is worse than the Wouxun.
WW6L Rating: 0/5 Oct 28, 2014 07:47 Send this review to a friend
bad charger design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I left mine on while in the charger. Apparently the charger cant keep up with the battery and the radio (even while squelched) so it self destructs.

KC0LRP Rating: 1/5 Apr 19, 2014 17:04 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
It just up and quite for no reason the only thing it will do is receive no transmit and it was just setting on my desk and went to check in on Sunday night net and nothing.
KQ4KK Rating: 2/5 Jan 8, 2014 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Danger Will Robinson  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had 3 of these. The one I have left is still working for some reason. One of the largest, original US importers just sent out two scathing emails about the built-in issues and lack of factory support to fix manufacturing problems. He states the radios after some time, the memories die, and the radio reverts to Chinese. He says Wouxun knows this, but will do nothing about it.
ZL4XYZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2013 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Great and cheap  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 of these, one at home, one in the landrover and the final in the motorcycle.
Great wee hand held. I use the KG commander software to program from KC8UNJ, which is easy to edit and use.
I have never had a problems with any and they get used almost every day. The best thing is because of the low cost I don't mind if I drop one into water and kill it.
K0NHV Rating: 3/5 Oct 2, 2013 10:41 Send this review to a friend
I've bricked two of these so far...  Time owned: more than 12 months
They are both usable once again after running the rescue patch available on the Internet, but it's not the same as the original firmware...

I still like 'em anyway...
KS3J Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2013 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive, SOLID.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these at the Shelby hamfest as a backup to my older Icom IC-W32A. I must say it's an amazing radio. Programming it is pretty simple, although I did need the manual to figure out how to get from preset to VFO mode. Setting up and using the software with the USB programming cable was a snap.

One thing I've noticed is the battery contacts. They protrude from the back of the battery and are absolutely unprotected. Shorting them would be a very bad thing, so if you carry a spare battery, keep it in an insulating bag to prevent this.
KG6BRG Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2013 07:27 Send this review to a friend
good HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't know if I've reviewed these here or not, but since I've owned 2 of these for more
than 2 years now I'll give a long term test. I have both a 2/220 and a 2/440 version.
The original batteries are still going strong, nothing has broken, they still program via
the key pad or computer; What's not to like? I think the build quality is as good or
better than any of the Yaesu, Icom, and Alinco's I've had in the past. Not that those
HT's were bad, but they cost a lot more and did less (single bands). I'm especially
impressed with the battery capacity and charging times. All in all you can't go wrong
with one of these HT's. They have been called "disposable" by some who seem hate Chinese
electronics, nothing could be further from the truth, they are a quality transceiver well
suited for ham radio.