Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Help

Reviews Summary for WOUXUN KG-UVD1P
WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Reviews: 155 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $110.00
Description: A DUAL BAND [UHF,VHF] HT WITH DTMF AND MULTIPLE FREQUENCY RANGES TO ACCOMMODATE VARYING COUNTRIES PROFESSIONAL RADIO MARKETS
More info: http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UVD1P.htm

You can write your own review of the WOUXUN KG-UVD1P.

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 13:44 Send this review to a friend
A really fun radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up an older barely used 2 meter/220 version for a song from a friend who kept it as a spare. It's no Kenwood TH-F6A (I have one) but it isn't trying to be one.

My friend is blind and learned to program it from the keyboard. He taught me how and it isn't difficult. Some people say the software and cable are an absolute must. They aren't.

It's got some ergonomic quirks but they aren't serious. The keyboard is a lot easier to use than the one in the Kenwood. It was designed to be a commercial radio hence the emphasis on channel numbers instead of frequencies.

The fit and finish are fine and the accessories are dirt cheap. My Kenwood SMC-34 speaker mic, which is designed for the TH-F6A, works great on it. People who know what I sound like in person say the transmit audio is excellent with both the built in mic and speaker mic.

I'm using a Diamond RH77CA antenna, which isn't supposed to be good for transmitting on 220. It hears better and gets out better on 220 than the stock duck, which was already quite good. A friend uses his 2 meter/220 on 220 with a 20 year old 2 meter/440 mag mount antenna. He gets out very well with it.

I've been having a serious desense problem with the Kenwood on 220 in some locations. I still get a little with the Wouxun but not nearly as much. The receiver runs circles around the Kenwood but it's DC to daylight so there have to be compromises.

I'd be extremely happy even if I'd paid full price. Highly recommended.

K6QT Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2013 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me first start off by saying that there are two models within a model for this one: a KG-UVD1P for 2M/70CM and one for 2M/1M (I hate using the 12-syllable "the two hundred and twenty two megahertz band", sorry). I have six of these and have had three over a year and three for about three months. I have heard that some have had trouble, but I haven't had a lick of trouble with any one of them. I got them from a guy in Canada, who had an FCC type accepted version, which transmits out of band (which I love, because in the case of a real emergency, it's possible to contact other agencies in the area). On 1M, it transmits on 219-222 MHz, which is nice and which other radios (even Alinco) don't do. The radio doesn't have a true memory function as we know it with other radios. It's sort of a "pseudo-memory", but it may as well be a real memory function. It doesn't bother me too much. I need a manual with me always -- or my 13-year-old Extra (got it when he was 11) son who has the whole thing memorized. The range is good. I can always hit the 2M/1M repeaters in the area I can hit with most of my other 21 HTs. The one thing you have to watch out for is the battery meter. It will show full bars almost until the battery is out. Then it will suddenly shut down. So carry a spare with you. However, you can get, I think, 1800 mAh batteries for a very good price for this radio. The radio comes with a quick charger, which is a huge bonus. For some radios this is $40 or more. (I've seen $80 or $90 -- the popular Yaesu FT-60R's quick charger is in this more expensive range.) There's not much more I can say that hasn't already been said by others. I do love these little radios, though.

KF4BUK Rating: 0/5 May 15, 2013 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Battery drain problem!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi,
I've had this radio for about a year now. The
first thing I noticed was that it slowing drains
the battery down even though the switch is off.
It finally killed my lithium battery so I got
the AA case and put in Duracell batteries. It
drained those too, so its definitely in the radio.
Don't waste your money on this radio as they have
not got the bugs out of it, yet!

KK4GCK Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2013 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Great HT!  Time owned: more than 12 months

This was my first ham radio and while I now have a few other radios, this one is still used daily after over a year of taking anything thrown at it including it's share of drops.
I've used it for listening to satellites with a tape measure yagi, as a base station with a dual band ground plane , and most currently as my mobile with a mag mount, not to mention as an HT when needed.
Yes, the manual leaves a little to be desired but if a new HAM can figure it out any Ham can. I have never used a programming cable or software and see no need for them.
All I recommend is the spare AA battery pack and a diamond antenna.
Of course it's not a perfect radio, none are but I would buy this one again in a heartbeat.
I've played with yeasu and Kenwood HT's and while they're great in their own way, they don't offer anything more in the way of features, performance or value except possibly more durable construction. This Wouxun does not feel cheap I can tell you that. I especially like the led light, fm radio, and ability to monitor weather band and other frequencies. Price spare batteries before you buy your next HT and remember an HT is worthless without it's battery pack.
73!

WA4DOU Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2013 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Not bad!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was out of touch with amateur radio for the past 4 years and quite surprised to see the Chinese radios had appeared during that period. The prices seemed too cheap to place any faith in them. I read the reviews and heard local hams talking them up and decided to take a chance and pick up a KG-UVD1P-220 model, for 2 & 220. I programmed mine thru the keypad before getting the programming cable and software. I've had it a few weeks and I'm impressed with the performance. At the current prices they are "no deposit, no return" radios, but, if they stand up to a reasonable lifecycle, they're definitely bargains. Time will tell.

WD9DUI Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for over a year, so far no issues or problems. I picked up the 220 version as the local club had a 220 machine. I have used it in the car and house, with no issues. I could not see spending a lot of cash for a mobile unit.
I picked up the 12V adapter no need to run the batteries down, an external antenna for the car use, and the speaker mike which works fine.

VE6BGM Rating: 3/5 Jan 22, 2013 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Still just OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having used one for over 2 years, I must say it is not my favorite HT. Doesn't have true dual band watch as only receives one side at a time. Real pain when listen to one frequency and another keys up. And the scan function is useless. Painfully slow. I don't find battery life that much longer now than my 1400 ma FT-60R. Lot more complex to program with and without software. Does have good transmit and receive audio but so do others. It is not anything special. And since it costs a little less, I don't care if it is thrown in the water or dirt.

KD8RWD Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2013 12:04 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have 3 of them along with a yaesu vx6r, and motorola ht1250,
The wouxun will out talk them, longer battery life, better performance .i can talk alot farther on 5 watts on simplex or on repeater. With a counter poise i can hit a repeater 35 miles away without a band opening, and have done so almost every day. I won't spend 3 times the price for a yaesu again.

N3WEN Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2013 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Get One!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine over a year ago from MTC on Ebay and honestly was not expecting much but for the price it hit what I could afford at the time. I had a Kenwood TH79AD that started giving the display fail and after buying 2 other units for parts to fix it I had enough of wasting money and sold the whole lot and used that money to buy this radio.

WOW!

A much more rugged radio than I expected, it feels sturdy to me when holding and using it. In my unit the FM radio is not great audio but I did not buy it for the FM broadcast stuff anyhow. I had a Kenwood G71A and compared signal reports both on repeater and simplex and every time people said this radio sounded better both signal as well as audio.

Another little plus is the fact that Kenwood items like speaker mics and cables work with this radio which was an unexpected feather in it's cap.

I do suggest using the software to program if possible, saved my sanity as figuring out the quick keypad steps tested my patience.

My only real con is no charge jack on the radio (mine anyhow) so it is either get the lighter adapter for the base charger or now they have a battery eliminator but no good away from the vehicle and can not charge a battery as it replaces the battery. I bought the AA battery case and a spare battery so hopefully not having power when needed will not be an issue.

A quick observation. If you browse Ebay and pay attention you will learn many of these radio are in fact Kenwood,Yeasu,Standard,Icom but just rebranded. Yeasu are the easiest to spot and when you think about it, ALL of thse popular radios ARE from these asian countries anyhow and we have always know you pay for the name on it as well as the components in it, just something to think on.

I like mine and if I ever need to replace it I will definitely be thinking a purchase of the same (if still in production by then).

KG4RRN Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2013 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Great HT most features for the bucks  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I needed a radio after my ICOM v82 tx went bad,so my EC suggested the Wouxun, and I ordered it ARS in MA.
and I got the 1700mah battery and also the AA case.
I did not get the programming cable or CD for it though, and it took a little over 48 hrs to program
it for the menu settings were slightly confusing at first , but now they are second nature.
I likethe following features: FM radio, flashlight,
dual watch, same band A/B for satellite work.
I also appreciate the battery charger which shows it it charged, and I like the design.
It is small, like a VX7r but it is one feature that I appreciate the most.
A circuit which prevents you from doubling with another station on a repeater, and the voice menus.
These advances in Ham HTs were very welcome, and I love the battery staying power.
A second one will be coming this year. Just in case I drop it.
73 all.