Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Help

Reviews Summary for WOUXUN KG-UVD1P
WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Reviews: 152 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $110.00
Description: A DUAL BAND [UHF,VHF] HT WITH DTMF AND MULTIPLE FREQUENCY RANGES TO ACCOMMODATE VARYING COUNTRIES PROFESSIONAL RADIO MARKETS
More info: http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UVD1P.htm

You can write your own review of the WOUXUN KG-UVD1P.

KK4GCK Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2013 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Great HT!  Time owned: more than 12 months

This was my first ham radio and while I now have a few other radios, this one is still used daily after over a year of taking anything thrown at it including it's share of drops.
I've used it for listening to satellites with a tape measure yagi, as a base station with a dual band ground plane , and most currently as my mobile with a mag mount, not to mention as an HT when needed.
Yes, the manual leaves a little to be desired but if a new HAM can figure it out any Ham can. I have never used a programming cable or software and see no need for them.
All I recommend is the spare AA battery pack and a diamond antenna.
Of course it's not a perfect radio, none are but I would buy this one again in a heartbeat.
I've played with yeasu and Kenwood HT's and while they're great in their own way, they don't offer anything more in the way of features, performance or value except possibly more durable construction. This Wouxun does not feel cheap I can tell you that. I especially like the led light, fm radio, and ability to monitor weather band and other frequencies. Price spare batteries before you buy your next HT and remember an HT is worthless without it's battery pack.
73!

WA4DOU Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2013 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Not bad!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was out of touch with amateur radio for the past 4 years and quite surprised to see the Chinese radios had appeared during that period. The prices seemed too cheap to place any faith in them. I read the reviews and heard local hams talking them up and decided to take a chance and pick up a KG-UVD1P-220 model, for 2 & 220. I programmed mine thru the keypad before getting the programming cable and software. I've had it a few weeks and I'm impressed with the performance. At the current prices they are "no deposit, no return" radios, but, if they stand up to a reasonable lifecycle, they're definitely bargains. Time will tell.

WD9DUI Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for over a year, so far no issues or problems. I picked up the 220 version as the local club had a 220 machine. I have used it in the car and house, with no issues. I could not see spending a lot of cash for a mobile unit.
I picked up the 12V adapter no need to run the batteries down, an external antenna for the car use, and the speaker mike which works fine.

VE6BGM Rating: 3/5 Jan 22, 2013 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Still just OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having used one for over 2 years, I must say it is not my favorite HT. Doesn't have true dual band watch as only receives one side at a time. Real pain when listen to one frequency and another keys up. And the scan function is useless. Painfully slow. I don't find battery life that much longer now than my 1400 ma FT-60R. Lot more complex to program with and without software. Does have good transmit and receive audio but so do others. It is not anything special. And since it costs a little less, I don't care if it is thrown in the water or dirt.

KD8RWD Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2013 12:04 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have 3 of them along with a yaesu vx6r, and motorola ht1250,
The wouxun will out talk them, longer battery life, better performance .i can talk alot farther on 5 watts on simplex or on repeater. With a counter poise i can hit a repeater 35 miles away without a band opening, and have done so almost every day. I won't spend 3 times the price for a yaesu again.

N3WEN Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2013 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Get One!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine over a year ago from MTC on Ebay and honestly was not expecting much but for the price it hit what I could afford at the time. I had a Kenwood TH79AD that started giving the display fail and after buying 2 other units for parts to fix it I had enough of wasting money and sold the whole lot and used that money to buy this radio.

WOW!

A much more rugged radio than I expected, it feels sturdy to me when holding and using it. In my unit the FM radio is not great audio but I did not buy it for the FM broadcast stuff anyhow. I had a Kenwood G71A and compared signal reports both on repeater and simplex and every time people said this radio sounded better both signal as well as audio.

Another little plus is the fact that Kenwood items like speaker mics and cables work with this radio which was an unexpected feather in it's cap.

I do suggest using the software to program if possible, saved my sanity as figuring out the quick keypad steps tested my patience.

My only real con is no charge jack on the radio (mine anyhow) so it is either get the lighter adapter for the base charger or now they have a battery eliminator but no good away from the vehicle and can not charge a battery as it replaces the battery. I bought the AA battery case and a spare battery so hopefully not having power when needed will not be an issue.

A quick observation. If you browse Ebay and pay attention you will learn many of these radio are in fact Kenwood,Yeasu,Standard,Icom but just rebranded. Yeasu are the easiest to spot and when you think about it, ALL of thse popular radios ARE from these asian countries anyhow and we have always know you pay for the name on it as well as the components in it, just something to think on.

I like mine and if I ever need to replace it I will definitely be thinking a purchase of the same (if still in production by then).

KG4RRN Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2013 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Great HT most features for the bucks  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I needed a radio after my ICOM v82 tx went bad,so my EC suggested the Wouxun, and I ordered it ARS in MA.
and I got the 1700mah battery and also the AA case.
I did not get the programming cable or CD for it though, and it took a little over 48 hrs to program
it for the menu settings were slightly confusing at first , but now they are second nature.
I likethe following features: FM radio, flashlight,
dual watch, same band A/B for satellite work.
I also appreciate the battery charger which shows it it charged, and I like the design.
It is small, like a VX7r but it is one feature that I appreciate the most.
A circuit which prevents you from doubling with another station on a repeater, and the voice menus.
These advances in Ham HTs were very welcome, and I love the battery staying power.
A second one will be coming this year. Just in case I drop it.
73 all.

KB9FQB Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2012 05:18 Send this review to a friend
not the best but worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had it over a year. It's not a top shelf radio BUT...for the dollars it is a very good value. I drag my HT with me all the time. I will replace it about every 3 years or so. Pros...Price, size Cons..the meter is useless, poor manual. I will be buying a second for my wife.

KA8EMJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Great HT Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Wouxun HT for over a couple of years and it has held up well. It seems to be built rugged. I have found it easy to program and operate and am planning on even purchasing a spare. The stock antenna seems to work well and I have heard good audio and signal reports. The battery recharges quickly and seems to hold a charge quite well.

F4DYT Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2012 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Worth the praice I paid for it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is my first handheld so I cannot say if it is better or worse than Yaesu / Kenwood / Icom similar equipment.

You will definitely need to purchase separately the following accessories, not included in the supplied equipment:
* earphones
* USB programming cable

I don't know yet if a second battery is a good investment.

I noticed that the battery charger very often turns on the red light indicating that it is recharging the battery, even if the radio is turned off. I cannot explain why, but it does not sound normal to me.

The manual is written in acceptable English, but it is poorly designed. Forums should palliate this problem.

More on this equipment later.