Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-230PRO Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-230PRO
RigExpert AA-230PRO Reviews: 17 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $650.00
Description: Powerful, laboratory grade antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines in 0.3 to 230 MHz range. Main features (to name a few): Graphical SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) and impedance display, multi language user interface, memory storage and connection to a personal computer (USB port), etc... The TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) mode is essencial for quick cable testing and cable fault location.

More info: http://www.rigexpert.com

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-230PRO.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2010 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Valuable Tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well just received package from the Array Solutions via USPS. Ran it through the manual and it works great. Tested my Butternut HF6v, S9 Veritcal, Dipole, Radio Works Carolina Windom and G5RV. This analyzer test all and found a fault in the Carolina Windom where age cracked a solder joint in the feedline. Straight of out the box and accurate based on measurements I've logged down with each antenna. Not even my Palstar ZM30 came close as it was riddled with errors I sent it back to HRO for a refund. My MFJ 259B is starting to show its age at 12 years old and the analog SWR meter works intermittently. Excellent job Rig Expert. I highly recommend all hams and though the price is high, this and a multimeter are the only instruments you'll ever need.

ON4ATW Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2010 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Superb !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No need to add anything to the below comments.
This is one fine piece of equipment.
Get one !

K8ALM Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2010 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Great piece of test equipment!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my AA-230Pro and in about 10 minutes I was able to determine my antenna problem. Previously I was trying to analyze my issue with an MFJ 259B with no luck. There is no comparision between the two analyzers. The Rigexpert is far superior in every aspect. The SWR scan feature is especially a pleasure to work with and helps determine the direction you need to go to properly tune an antenna.

KM6U Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2010 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Rugged, Accurate, Simple, Full-Featured  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my 230 Pro from Array Solutions, the US distributor. In the past two days, I have finally resolved any and all questions as to the resonance of my Carolina Windom 80 - 10M windom antenna. The AA-230 Pro instantly displayed all SWRs for the 5 main ham bands ( 80,40,20,15, and 10) at the bands' midpoints. Then, I picked the center frequencies of each band- in reality, I specified my favorite frequency for each band. The graphing function then showed me the SWR plot +/- 250 kHz, which clearly points you to which way to trim the antenna. My windom by the way is incapable of in-band SWRs of less than 2.9 to 1!

I visited KI6POW's QTH and we spent 3+ hours getting all bands down to about 1.6 to 1 - on his Hustler Vertical, with traps. The 230 Pro was a pleasure to use, and its main functions are simple to learn (and I hate to read manuals!).

I wanted a solid, non-MFJ (sorry, their QC is below Chinese stndards anymore) antenna analyzer that is accurate and would retain its value, if and when I decide to sell it. The Rig Expert is well worth the premium price, and I am keeping mine! KM6U

VK3WHO Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2010 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Better than the advert hype  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a lot of research I purchased the RigExpert AA-230PRO via the WEB. When it first arrived I was surprised of the quality of its construction and the ease of its use. In my research I read the advertising literature, where they stated, that this was an lab quality instrument, of cause I took this as hype, but how wrong I was . It quickly became apparent that this instrument is in league of its own. It is more expensive than most of the other analysers I researched, but is it far more accurate, flexible and rugged.

The features that I have found extremely valuable:
Being able to measure the VSWR on 160,80,40,30 and 20, or any other five selected frequency, simultaneously. This make tuning multi band antennas a dream.

Having the + j and -j display, that will measure well over 1000 ohms, takes the guess work in impedance matching long wire antennas.

The VSWR or complex impedance /phase graph just makes checking or adjusting baluns or broadband impedance matching transforms so easy.

I use mainly 75 ohm co-ax, and this analyser allows for this. It has option to switch to 25, 50, 75 and 100ohms transmission line.

Anther features that I have found useful is the TDR function that works well for tracing bad connectors and cable faults.
The analyser has a inbuilt transmitter to signal the VSWR to my radio while adjusting the antenna. This means that analyser can be connected to the end of the cable in the shack while I am adjusting the antenna up in the tower.

It can also be used as an accurate frequency generator but has no output level adjustment.

The software that comes with the analyser works extremely well, installs without problem and is not beset with passwords or registration. It has addition measurement options and speeds up the TDR operation and allows storage of measurements of graphs for later reference. One of the functions that the software allow, is measuring the coaxial loss in a cable. It would have been a nice feature to have in the anlayser.

It's is not often that I can say I have bought a piece of equipment that is such a pleasure to use and works as well as the reviews and literature state. I found this instrument be very useful and it accuracy approaching that of the HP network analyser I once used.

Frans

KG1F Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2010 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Wow! - what a great product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a ham w/ HF privileges for just a couple of years, and I'm now at the point where I realize I need a good antenna analyzer to really optimize my setup here for maximum DX performance.

So I did a ton of research, looking at products and reviews here and elsewhere. Initially I concluded that the Palstar ZM30 Antenna Analyzer was the best bang for the buck. But after buying one from HRO I quickly concluded it did not have the functionality I needed. It did not allow me to do scans at the antenna and then access the data later via my PC for analysis. I was unable to get technical support from Palstar - over the course of 6 days I tried to call Palstar a couple of times a day to ask about the functionality of the unit and was unable to get connected to the one person there who could answer technical questions, I sat on hold for almost 20 minutes a couple of times, and then they came back on and said "Oh - he had to leave"

For more detail see my review of the Palstar ZM30.

So I returned the Palstar ZM30 to HRO - they were very accommodating as always - and purchased the RigExpert AA-230 Pro from Array solutions in Texas (http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/aa-230.htm}

Wow - what a great Piece of hardware! The build quality is top notch. Very robust construction, nice easy to hold case, easily accessible menu system. it has 200 memories to record the data from antenna scans, something the Palstar docs imply that it does but that it in fact does not actually do. (And that I was unable to talk to anyone at Palstar about over 6 days!)

On the RigExpert the LCD display shows lots of info with respect to antenna performance -Enter a freq and see the SWR, L & C values for that freq. You can see SWR info for 5 bands at once - real handy for multi band antennas. It includes a Time Domain Reflectometer, helping you find cable faults. And the menu makes all this plus a lot more functionality easily accessible.

So while this is quite a bit more expensive than the MFJ or Palstar units, the amount of additional functionality and the ease of use, in my mind, make it a good investment to me.

Plus, I'd like to compliment Jay at Array Solutions. He was incredible responsive to all my questions and order processing time was very quick.

[BTW - I have no business or personal interest in either RigExpert or Array Solutions]

VE3SSR Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2009 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Great portable antenna analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have purchased AA-230PRO from Rigexpert net in Canada, who kindly offered me some discount.
The instrument is definitely not cheap, but its price is reasonable, considering its value.

The instrument’s main advantage - its portable design and quite accurate readings of SWR and load impedance with ability to distinguish a sign of reactance, e.g. tell the difference between capacitance and inductance.
The main difference between AA-230PRO and AA-200 is ability of AA-230PRO to calculate and to display on LCD the Time Domain Response which indicates the distance between the instrument and a problem in transmission line. That is really great tool.

While tuning KT-34 antenna I compared AA-230PRO SWR readings with IC-7600 and
Daiwa CN-801HP SWR meters. AA-230PRO demonstrated perfect match with its Japanese colleagues.

I also tested instrument’s abilities to interface with PC. AntScope program was capable of downloading and displaying data from the instrument, such as SWR, Return Loss and Impedance components. TDR function worked fine when it was initiated from AntScope.

As a conclusion I would say that AA-230PRO is a great hand-held antenna analyzer which is absolutely sufficient to tune ham-radio antennas within 0.3 – 230 MHZ range.