Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MFJ-1798 80m - 2m Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1798 80m - 2m Vertical
MFJ-1798 80m - 2m Vertical Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $289.95
Description: Full size performance . . . No ground or radials . . . Operate 10 bands: 75/80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 6 and 2 Meters with one antenna . . . Separate full size radiators . . . End loading . . . Elevated top feed . . . Low Radiation Angle . . . Very wide bandwidth . . . Highest performance no ground vertical ever . .
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1798

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1798 80m - 2m Vertical.

KM9U Rating: 0/5 Jul 3, 2014 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Some aluminum good for scrap.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The only good thing I can say about this antenna is, if you carefully separate the aluminum from the other metal pieces, you can sell it for a couple bucks worth of scrap.

WG8AR Rating: 2/5 Sep 28, 2013 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Bad News Bear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not sure where to begin. I totally agree with a lot of reviews; poor instructions,etc. I tuned the darn thing at 5-6 feet off the ground as per instructions.Then raised it up 20+feet and it was WAY-OUT of wack. I settled for a 10feet elevation. Not a happy camper. Mighty Fine Junk could be right-on. Thank goodness for ant. tuners !!!!

N7CPU Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2012 08:58 Send this review to a friend
1 year followup  Time owned: more than 12 months
after a year in the arizona sun, I thought I would write a followup.

all the bands shifted their resonant point down almost a full megahertz. talked to Tom at MFJs antenna shop (hy-gain) and he is great. He pushed a warrantee order though for a new feed harness and pcb, stated 1 to 2 weeks to ship, never shipped for 4 weeks...and he was dead on with the problem.

After pulling the old feed harness off, I noticed discoloration on the translucent coax jacket near both ground taps on it. Both spots had water ingress and corrosion was pretty excessive (did I mention I live in the desert and it hardly ever rains) the heatshrink they use isn't tight enough on the coax to seal it....no more wiretie, no more heatshrink. most of a roll of electrical tape seals it up and will outlast wireties

the new harness isn't even rg-58. it is smaller in diameter and unmarked (in between rg58 and rg174) I'm sure there is quite a bit of loss on it on 15,12,10 and 2 meters.

every wiretie they shipped with it was laying on the ground having been destroyed by the sun. They didn't even ship UV protected wireties with this. All the fiberglass insulators and the balun form (pvc water pipe) has all discolored and showing UV damage. Best thing you can do with this is to clear coat EVERY piece of fiberglass and plastic before you put it up and tape the ground taps on the coax WELL, as well as GUYLINE this thing if you want it to survive. 3 guys 4 ft down from the top and this has held up to 80mph gusts and hours of 50mph winds without damage

I am actually thinking about trying to change out this thin coax with rg8x and see if there is an improvement. There is about 40ft of this on the balun and feedline to the top of the antenna...this has to be close to a 3db loss on 10 and up.

overall, it's a great performer, even the 1/4 wave 2 meter stub works great...it will also resonate on 440 with so-so performance (probably from the lossy coax)

KD0CY Rating: 1/5 Feb 21, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Poor customer service  Time owned: more than 12 months
In all fairness, first let me tell you that the MFJ-1798 multi-band vertical works well as a vertical antenna. Iíve been a ham for nearly 50 years and this is the first vertical antenna Iíve every used. It has worked great for DX and Iíve worked many countries in South America and Europe with 100 watts. It looks more like a contraption than an antenna, but it worksÖwhen it works.

All of the aluminum tubes were precut and pre drilled for assembly. All hardware is stainless steel and included an abundant supply of extra screws and nuts to replace the ones you drop and canít find during assembly. The antenna even came with two extra 80 and 40 meter elements in case you cut too much off of one while tuning.

The instructions say it can be assembled in 4 to 6 hours. This might be true if you've assembled several before, but it took me about 14 hours for assembly mostly because of having to decipher the instructions. Many views you couldnít tell which direction they were looking or cut views were unlabeled so you werenít sure what you were looking at. Assembly was a little difficult and Iíve been assembling antennaís most of my life. However, after installation it only required tuning on 40 and 80 meters. The other bands tuned fine using the provided dimensions.

About a 1Ĺ years after installation it took close (indirect) lightning strike which destroyed the feed harness, but nothing came into the shack, thankfully. I called MFJ tech support to order a new feed harness and was transferred to Hy-Gain. I was told to expect shipment within a week. Three weeks later I was told that there was a part shortage and to expect shipment within a week. Two weeks later I was told there was a coax shortage and to expect shipment within a week. Four weeks later I was told the same thing. Three weeks later I as told they had lost my order. All in all it took nearly 4 months to receive a replacement feed harness. Obviously customer service isnít a priority with MFJ.

In Kansas the wind blows and it didnít survive 70-80mph gusts without some damage. The base mount bracket is twisted out of shape and at least the first two sections of the antenna are bent into a nice arc. I wonít order anymore replacement parts because of extended wait time. Iíll just leave it as is, as a monument to a poorly designed antenna for everyone to see.

Would I buy another one? No. Would I recommend to someone else? No. Another local hamís Gap Titan DX survived the same winds that damaged my MFJ-1798. A better choice would be a Gap Titan DX vertical which is more heavily constructed to survive strong winds.

KI6RRX Rating: 2/5 Sep 5, 2010 16:16 Send this review to a friend
Rube Goldberg strikes again  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The bad: parts missing, wrong thread size on PEM nuts, mis-color-coded wires, takes 8 hours to assemble & tune (alone,) wind resistance poor, performance so-so. I was able to get some help on the phone w/o a long wait on the color coding issue; the remaining problems were silently corrected in my shop.

The good: after this menagerie of crap was permanently retired after fewer than 6 months in service, it generated a lot of good-quality parts.

More or less a waste of time and money. But a nice pile of spare parts. Beware broadband HF verticals that advertise, "No ground radials required!" ONLY as a lost resort.

W6TMV Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2009 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Even better now!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my last review comments I have mounted the antenna on top of a 25 ft tower so the top is up around 50 ft or so (with a 5 ft mast) - and it is even better than before - the extra elevation improved bandwith/tuning a great deal (not sure how) and in recent contests I have been able to work the entire USA and other countries using only 500W at the most (that is all I have right now) - interested in others experience with elevating this antenna.

KG4MUW Rating: 3/5 Jul 14, 2009 16:22 Send this review to a friend
poor instructions, weak structural design, good performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you follow the instructions you will unlikely assemble it incorrectly. You will most likely have to dissemble and reassemble certain parts to figure it out. There is even a self-appointed 'evaluator' on the internet who has put his ant together incorrectly (while complaining about the instructions). I tried to use his 'guidance' and after I finished I realize he had the 80/40m stub facing the wrong direction.

I figured mine out but I would suspect some folks might be well advised to call the manufacturer when they hit the first snag. It might let them know they need to revise the manual.

Mine has handled 70mph winds atop a 51' tower and 5' mast. It bent a little but it is still working. I would recommend you spend a lot of time waterproofing with liquid electrical tape and 999 silicone. Some of the other reviewers have noticed the lack of waterproofing.

I have other antennas with which to compare so this is not just a report of the number of contacts made with this particular antenna. I have a 204' G5RV at 70' and a 160M off center wire meandering through the pines. From 80M-30M my wires will beat it hands down. I could not imagine using it on these bands effectively. It tunes on 160M and 60M but don't waste your time. On 20M and 17M it is about a wash as compared to my wires. DX on 20M seems to be a little better on the MFJ. The MFJ1798 is always superior on 15M-10M. It works on 6M but really can't compare to my 6M longwire or my 6M beam. However, when 6M is open it does not take much to have a good time and this ant will be adequate. I have not made any signal comparisons on 2M but it does work fine.

The match on 20M-10M is impressive. You can use these bands without a tuner. The worst SWR on any of them is 1.3. I did spend a lot of time tuning but it really is not that hard to tune and adjust and once tuned it seems to be very stable, even after it got bent. How it got bent is coming up.

The aluminum tube and the attachment to the mast is too weak. Mine now has a bend right at the point where the fiberglass insert goes inside the tube. It looks bad but still works fine. It will likely break there in the near future. I have begun lowering the tower when high winds are predicted.

KG4MUW

W0DOT Rating: 2/5 May 10, 2009 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Missing Quality Control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this based on suitability for site and reviews. After three weeks of trying still haven't gotten it assembled. Numerous errors in manual (parts and assembly don't agree with descriptions), missing and wrong parts, wrong phone numbers in manual. Have been promised replacement parts twice but still nothing. My opinion may change slightly once I get it assembled and operating but right now I'm pretty disappointed. I'll follow up with another review based on performance (or lack thereof).
I'm giving this a 2/5 because I'm a pretty forgiving sort of guy.
I must add that this is the third MFJ product I've purchased and had quality issues with all of them.

W0XS Rating: 2/5 Apr 4, 2009 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Not a great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up for 2 1/2 years and it's one of the poorest antennas I've ever used. A ham from the local DX association helped me put it together and used his antenna analyzer on it so it should work but it hasn't. Parts were missing and had to be ordered. I had a long wire up about 15 feet in the air but my landlord made me take it down so I had to settle for this mounted to the chimney. The long wire, at far less than optimum height, did a much better job than this vertical. Very disappointing after spending $300 on it.

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2009 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Going on 9 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
9 years later, it is still working great. Finally, after getting an antenna analyzer, I tuned the antenna to the center of each band. Bandwidths are as advertised, no problem there.

Only thing found was a deterioration of the fiberglass standoff insulators due to UV rays. However, the structural integrity is still excellent. I would recommend this antenna to anyone, without hesitation.