Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Technical Specialists, LLC (Tampa) Help

Reviews Summary for Technical Specialists, LLC (Tampa)
Technical Specialists, LLC (Tampa) Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $35 per hour +parts
Description: Most makes and models. Fast turn-around. Well stocked with original equipment replacement parts.
More info: http://www.hamradiorepairfix.com

You can write your own review of the Technical Specialists, LLC (Tampa).

KA7NIQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2017 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Service !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought an Alpha 374 amplifier from a Ham on QTH.com
It arrived intact, but did not seem to work properly. Power output was very very low, for an amp with 3 of the 8874 tubes. Thinking the amp was bad, and running out of time to file a PayPal dispute, I called Lee at Technical Specialists. He told me to bring the amp over, so I did.
A few days later, I receive an email that the amp was done! So, I called Lee, and he explained that the amp was working perfectly, and only charged me for a 1/2 hour labor. Oh, he did replace a meter bulb.
He told me to check my coaxial jumpers, and sure enough, that was the problem, though they worked just fine with my old amplifier. Go Figure ?

Today (4-25-2017), on the Old Goats Net on 3910, I was told I was off frequency on my Kenwood TS 2000
so I took it over to Lee, and dropped it off.
I feel fortunate to live less then 8 miles away from a great radio repair place.

AK5Y Rating: 0/5 Jan 19, 2017 11:16 Send this review to a friend
lacks “Trustworthiness”   Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my Ft-1000mp to Lee for repair and the rig was not repaired properly. The complaint was that it would suddenly stop RX/TX but, after receiving it back from him ‘”It does neither”. The rig was in his shop for almost 4 months and it was never repaired and charged me $269.00 for doing nothing..

I emailed him several times requesting a repair status and his answer was that they had to order parts from Yaesu. So I waited another 4 weeks and emailed them again. They told me that they were waiting for parts from Yaesu HQ in Japan and that it will take 6-8 weeks for parts to arrive. About two days later they sent me an email letting me know that the rig was ready, which I found kind of strange since they had just told me that parts were to take 6-8 weeks to arrive.

This was the time in which I started losing confidence and trust with this guy. Right after receiving the rig in Mid April the rig started acting up again and then it completely stopped RX/TX . I emailed Lee to let him know about this issue and as of today, I still haven’t heard from him. This guy might be a good person, but he lacks “Trustworthiness” which is what it takes to run a business. I would never recommend this guy to anyone, never again will I deal with him. This supposedly good person scammed me out my money($320) for services I never received…

BTW I sent my rig to Cal Fisher and he fixed it quick and cheap and will posting a review next..

Will

KD2EMQ Rating: 0/5 Oct 26, 2016 08:35 Send this review to a friend
0/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent an IC-7000 radio down to them in March 2016.It was sent back in April 2016 supposedly repaired ( I paid them $255.00 ). It wasn't repaired, had no VHF or UHV! When I contacted them I was told to send it back to them and they would " put it on top of the list for repairs ". I sent it back April 2016.I finally received the radio back again in October 2016. The radio still wasn't working correctly, in fact I almost blew up my amp. trying to use it! Radio was putting out over 160 watts on 75 meters, audio was so bad that no one could even understand me! This is only a few of the issues I found. I don't think they even check the radios they repair before they send them back! NEVER AGAIN

KG4LVA Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2016 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Lee is a great tech and better human.
I sent him an HT for repair, but he determined it was not feasible to repair. He was honest and explained the issue fully.
His prices are very reasonable.
I will use Technical Specialist for my future needs.

W4FJS Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2016 19:04 Send this review to a friend
work done  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using Lee for about 30 plus years and he has always had me go away happy in the end. Stands behind his work and is a all around good guy. Seems to have an answer for everything and most always is right.He will 90% of the time make a little time to talk to everyone. Just want to say thank you Lee for all you have showed me and taking the time even though I have no idea what is happening.. Thanks for being a great friend.. Sam

KA7NIQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2015 10:50 Send this review to a friend
As Good As It Gets!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My ICOM 775 DSP makes the third radio I have taken to Lee for repair, alignment, or modification. I wanted a little wider 2.8 hz SSB Filter (FL70) put in it, in place of the stock 2.4 hz (FL80) SSB filter. The Radio also needed alignment. Lee did a really good job, and now my ICOM 775 DSP talks and hears better then it ever has!
Thank You Lee !

W4QG Rating: 0/5 Jun 20, 2015 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Terrible  Time owned: more than 12 months
Incredibly slow. Expect 6 months minimum. Doesn't completely test the radios he works on. - You better hope the rig you have him work on only has one problem, because he stops working on them after he fixes one issue. Had to ship three rigs back to him because he didn't finish the job the first time. One of the radios STILL has problems after being at his shop twice. NEVER again.

NR1FD Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2015 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended -Very Pleased - Super Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
NR1FD Bill

Highly Recommended - Very Pleased Super Service

Bing in Florida in winter month's , I keep my FT897 rig in Florida. Janurary I notice when I hook up my rig , I was only delivering half the power with NO ALC reading. Looking at E-Ham.net reviews Teck Specialists was only 40 mile south . So I gave Lee a call and Lee told me bring it to his shop, Few week latter Lee gave me a call,explain what the proplem and part needed and I gave the OK to repair, The Next day went to pick-up my 897, Lee told me what the IF staged was the problem , he replace the bad diode's, and also explain how to pervent it to happen aging,
I Got back to my ham shack from Lee shop and hook up my rig and started made contact with good receaving report's (QTH from Springhill FL)
Thank's to Lee and also SPECIAL Thank's to Staci (his wife)for taking my phone call's

(PS)I have a FT767gx that need TLC and I know Lee can help When I return to FL

W5CIA Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2014 12:20 Send this review to a friend
A++++ Finally someone you can trust  Time owned: months
Technical Specialists, LLC is the best around and economical. Lee is able to repair what others condemn as unrepairable i.e. Kenwood, Icom and Ten Tec repair centers. Been to those and won't waste my time or money any more on the manufacturers.

Technical Specialist offers free estimate, yes free!
Due to his ability, he is in high demand and usually has a backlog however if you want it fixed right, Lee is the guy. He is both professional at the bench and in communication. A lot more than I can say about the other independents that have no customer service skills.

After sending many rigs to him, I am more that happy and will continue to send the "unrepairables" to have them come back to life.
Steve
W5CIA

WY4J Rating: 0/5 Nov 6, 2014 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Not a good experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gave this company a couple of rigs. The first ones were a set of Kenwood Twins. After about a month I was told that they were perfect now. Paid them their $200 and picked them up personally. Decided that these were not for me I never even turned them on. Sold them to another old time Florida ham who told me that the transmitter had been butchered real bad. He sent it out for repairs and had to dish out $400 to get the transmitter back to the original configuration. I had also sent in my 32 year old Kenwood TS-830 that I had purchased new in 1981. the original tubes were a little tired and the hv capacitors needed to be replaced. After a few months I finally lost my patience and asked for the rig back. They replaced the hv capacitors but they had no 4186's on hand and it would take a couple of weeks to get them. Now, I have two complete spare sets of of hybrid tubes in my tool box and I do not make my living repairing hybrid radios. The return via USPS was a total comedy of errors. Just to make a long story short, under no condition will I ever recommend or do business with this company ever again.