Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Technical Specialists, LLC (Tampa) Help

Reviews Summary for Technical Specialists, LLC (Tampa)
Technical Specialists, LLC (Tampa) Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $35 per hour +parts
Description: Most makes and models. Fast turn-around. Well stocked with original equipment replacement parts.

You can write your own review of the Technical Specialists, LLC (Tampa).

N4WGE Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2018 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
After reading the reviews I decided to give him a try. Lee was able to explain the problem with my FT-767(having owned one himself) easily. The repair time was fantastic. Radio works great. Very pleased with the entire experience.
KB1KVL Rating: 0/5 Nov 29, 2017 03:55 Send this review to a friend
TS-2000 Radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had 2 TS-2000s that needed repair. I shipped them to him weeks before hurricane Irma. He told me to pay for the work & he would ship them to me. I did, and he did, but only one radio. I had him fix the RX on hf and 2m on left side on both radios, plus the print was wore out on one radio. He shipped that one back with the wore print to me in the same condition I sent it except my MC60 mic was physically broken. The buttons were fixed but nothing else was fixed. That was in Oct when he finally decided to ship it back to me. I contacted him. He said the mic must have been broken in transit, the radio worked perfect at the shop & send the radio back. I did. It's now Nov 29th and nothing yet. He still owes me the other TS-2000 which I had the same problem as the other. I sent him an email asking when I could expect the radios back. No reply yet on Nov 29th. Keep clear of this guy. Don't go to him just because he's only $35/hr. this guy sucks! When am I going to get my 2 TS-2000s back from being fixed, or am I ever going to get them back after I paid him $1000?
KC3D Rating: 0/5 Oct 21, 2017 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Run..don't walk away from this guy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Run… do not walk to get away from this guy and his so-called repair facility.
I shipped him my Yaesu FT 8800/R mobile unit on August 11, 2017. He received it the next day since we both live in Florida. On August 23 I got a notice that it was repaired and he wanted $152.28 in order to ship it back. I sent him the money.
When the radio was returned to me on September 20 it became obvious that the exact same problem (distorted audio coming from the speaker inside the radio) was exactly the same as when I sent it to him and there was no improvement. I immediately contacted him by e-mail and received a response from Staci telling me to ship the radio right back and they would take care of it. I shipped it back on September 20, 2017 have neither seen nor heard from them up until now.
I sent e-mails on October 11 and October 15 with no response. I placed a telephone call to Lee on October 16 and left a message on his voicemail but received no response. I wrote him a “final warning” email before I dispute the credit card charge.
Within a day or so of getting my “final warning” email, I got an email saying he had mailed my radio back to me and that it had been on the bench running just fine for a week. As soon as I got my radio back I set it up and it was NOT repaired. The audio distortion problem was better on low volume, but when it was in the car and you had to turn the volume up, the distortion became obvious.
I will now have to find a different repair facility for this radio, but take my advice and pass on any thoughts you have to send anything to Lee to be repaired.
KA7NIQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2017 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Service !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought an Alpha 374 amplifier from a Ham on
It arrived intact, but did not seem to work properly. Power output was very very low, for an amp with 3 of the 8874 tubes. Thinking the amp was bad, and running out of time to file a PayPal dispute, I called Lee at Technical Specialists. He told me to bring the amp over, so I did.
A few days later, I receive an email that the amp was done! So, I called Lee, and he explained that the amp was working perfectly, and only charged me for a 1/2 hour labor. Oh, he did replace a meter bulb.
He told me to check my coaxial jumpers, and sure enough, that was the problem, though they worked just fine with my old amplifier. Go Figure ?

Today (4-25-2017), on the Old Goats Net on 3910, I was told I was off frequency on my Kenwood TS 2000
so I took it over to Lee, and dropped it off.
I feel fortunate to live less then 8 miles away from a great radio repair place.

AK5Y Rating: 0/5 Jan 19, 2017 11:16 Send this review to a friend
lacks “Trustworthiness”   Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my Ft-1000mp to Lee for repair and the rig was not repaired properly. The complaint was that it would suddenly stop RX/TX but, after receiving it back from him ‘”It does neither”. The rig was in his shop for almost 4 months and it was never repaired and charged me $269.00 for doing nothing..

I emailed him several times requesting a repair status and his answer was that they had to order parts from Yaesu. So I waited another 4 weeks and emailed them again. They told me that they were waiting for parts from Yaesu HQ in Japan and that it will take 6-8 weeks for parts to arrive. About two days later they sent me an email letting me know that the rig was ready, which I found kind of strange since they had just told me that parts were to take 6-8 weeks to arrive.

This was the time in which I started losing confidence and trust with this guy. Right after receiving the rig in Mid April the rig started acting up again and then it completely stopped RX/TX . I emailed Lee to let him know about this issue and as of today, I still haven’t heard from him. This guy might be a good person, but he lacks “Trustworthiness” which is what it takes to run a business. I would never recommend this guy to anyone, never again will I deal with him. This supposedly good person scammed me out my money($320) for services I never received…

BTW I sent my rig to Cal Fisher and he fixed it quick and cheap and will posting a review next..

KD2EMQ Rating: 0/5 Oct 26, 2016 08:35 Send this review to a friend
0/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent an IC-7000 radio down to them in March 2016.It was sent back in April 2016 supposedly repaired ( I paid them $255.00 ). It wasn't repaired, had no VHF or UHV! When I contacted them I was told to send it back to them and they would " put it on top of the list for repairs ". I sent it back April 2016.I finally received the radio back again in October 2016. The radio still wasn't working correctly, in fact I almost blew up my amp. trying to use it! Radio was putting out over 160 watts on 75 meters, audio was so bad that no one could even understand me! This is only a few of the issues I found. I don't think they even check the radios they repair before they send them back! NEVER AGAIN
KG4LVA Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2016 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Lee is a great tech and better human.
I sent him an HT for repair, but he determined it was not feasible to repair. He was honest and explained the issue fully.
His prices are very reasonable.
I will use Technical Specialist for my future needs.
W4FJS Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2016 19:04 Send this review to a friend
work done  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using Lee for about 30 plus years and he has always had me go away happy in the end. Stands behind his work and is a all around good guy. Seems to have an answer for everything and most always is right.He will 90% of the time make a little time to talk to everyone. Just want to say thank you Lee for all you have showed me and taking the time even though I have no idea what is happening.. Thanks for being a great friend.. Sam
KA7NIQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2015 10:50 Send this review to a friend
As Good As It Gets!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My ICOM 775 DSP makes the third radio I have taken to Lee for repair, alignment, or modification. I wanted a little wider 2.8 hz SSB Filter (FL70) put in it, in place of the stock 2.4 hz (FL80) SSB filter. The Radio also needed alignment. Lee did a really good job, and now my ICOM 775 DSP talks and hears better then it ever has!
Thank You Lee !

W4QG Rating: 0/5 Jun 20, 2015 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Terrible  Time owned: more than 12 months
Incredibly slow. Expect 6 months minimum. Doesn't completely test the radios he works on. - You better hope the rig you have him work on only has one problem, because he stops working on them after he fixes one issue. Had to ship three rigs back to him because he didn't finish the job the first time. One of the radios STILL has problems after being at his shop twice. NEVER again.