Reviews Categories | Microphones | TENTEC 707 Regal Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for TENTEC 707 Regal Microphone
TENTEC 707 Regal Microphone Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $139.00
Description: The Tentec model 707 Regal Microphone is a uni-directional dynamic microphone designed for communications station use for Amateur Radio. The unit consists of a chromed metal housing with 2 position PTT switch with OFF and LOCK positions, a internal foam breath screen and a dynamic element. The element has a tailored frequency response of 50 Hz to 16 KHz designed for excellent transmit audio in SSB, AM and FM modes.
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/

You can write your own review of the TENTEC 707 Regal Microphone.

K4FIL Rating: 2/5 Jan 1, 2014 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice mic, poor design  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the 707 approx. 2 years ago , has performed beautiful, recently the slide switch failed activating transmit and feels spongie , Ten Tec advises they do not attempt to repair this problem and there is no way to open or inspect the slide switch portion of the mic.Very poor design for amateur radio equipment. I have a high opinion of Ten Tec but this is disappointment.

WU1Z Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2013 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Revisiting Tentec 707  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have found that although it sounded clean and pretty good with my Icom radio's that it is a much better match for my Kenwood 850-S radio. The Kenwood has more to drive the mike than the Icom's and the audio is actually a bit low with the Icom 706MK2G and the Icom 718. It is clear with them but on the low side. You need to turn the mike gain way up. Not so with the Kenwood 850-S. Really sounds good with the high boost engaged on the Kenwood 850-S. After having the mike for sometime now and trying it out on my various radio's I am more versed to give a better and more well rounded review on this than my original one. The mike is very well made and I hope they do not discontinue it. I consider it a bargain compared to some of the other mikes that are sold on the market.

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2012 20:59 Send this review to a friend
Worth twice the price...$99?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Santa left the most elegant microphone under the tree this year! The Ten Tec model 707 Regal is nothing short of superb...it sounds great on my Orion II and is dazzling to look at! At $99 it's the best bargain in town...my advice is to make hay while the sun shines and before Ten Tec ends the sale price...

Settings I use on the O2: TX Filter BW 2850 hz, L.F. Rolloff 80 hz, H/W Mic Gain 3.0 dB, MIC 50. VOX Trip Level 5%, Anti-Vox Level 20%, Vox Hang 0.60 sec.

I spent Christmas Day on 15 meters SSB and got many great audio reports...couldn't be happier!

73 John K7FD

NR1D Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2011 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Good looking  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Nice mic and an appealing look. It does have some microphonic pick-up when mounted on a solid boom. Adding acoustic isolation feet to my amp brought the 60 cycle rumble, from the transformer, down to acceptable levels.
Great audio reports from the ICOM 756ProII and the boom mounting cleaned up my operating desk.

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2011 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Had to have two  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I heard my brothers audio come alive one day and had to ask what did you do he said i use the 707 mic from the Orion to the ft-2000, wow never sounded so good so i ordered one from TT and made my FT-2000 come alive, been getting excellent audio reports ever since then so i decided i need one for the Kenwood and yes i got one for the kenwood, just love these mic for the price can't beat it...

W2RS Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2011 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Looks and sounds great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
(Updated review)

I bought a 707 mic to replace the 706 electret condenser mic that I had been using with my Orion II. As a dynamic mic, the 707's output is quite a bit lower than the 706, -78 dBV compared to -52. It therefore requires a lot more gain. The Orion II can do this, however, and the result sounds great!

FWIW, for the time being I've settled on the following Orion II settings for the 707:

For normal SSB operation: TX EQ 0, TX Filter BW 2850, LF Rolloff 150, H/W MIC Gain 12.0, VOX Trip Level 5%, Anti-Vox 20%, Vox Hang 0.60, MIC 55, SP 4

For AM operation: same except MIC 75 and SP OFF.

I don't know if these are optimal, but they seem to work.

A caution for Orion II owners: if you operate digital modes through the AUX port, be sure TX Audio Source in the SSB menu is set to AUX. If you set it to BOTH, the mic will be live!

The 706 mic is now back on my Argonaut V, for which it was originally purchased.

AD8B Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2010 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Frequently asked about mic used  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this straight into an IC756PROIII when not contesting with a headset mic. Setting the bass down 2 notches and the treble up 1 notch sounds good to me on the monitor. I'm getting complementary, unsolicited questions on both wide and medium transmit bandwidths.
I ordered the TT desk stand but found a boom works better for me with mic in horizontal position.

VK3IDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2010 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Very good Orion match,but do the tx tailoring & up the mic gain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Earlier review from W2RS is spot on in my opinion.
The mic settings that were provided on the instruction sheet were way off for me. I had to yell in the mic to get decent audio output.
A friend helped me on air to adjust settings, and now I get complimentary reports. Its been set up for general rag chew but has enough punch for dx:
3000hz, low cut off 80hz ,mic gain 50, h/w mic gain 13 or 14, SP 3. Talking distance 2-4 inches.
Good looking mic as well.

N8FXH Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2010 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Ten Tec Scores  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Microphone looks great. It has the style of a 1940's Mike. When I attached to my Omni VII, recordings of my audio sound exactly like me. This is a winner.

W2DWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2010 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this mic with the Omni VII and tried it on my FT-2000 and now I get great audio reports on my FT-2000. This is one great mic.