Reviews Categories | Microphones | TENTEC 707 Regal Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for TENTEC 707 Regal Microphone
TENTEC 707 Regal Microphone Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $139.00
Description: The Tentec model 707 Regal Microphone is a uni-directional dynamic microphone designed for communications station use for Amateur Radio. The unit consists of a chromed metal housing with 2 position PTT switch with OFF and LOCK positions, a internal foam breath screen and a dynamic element. The element has a tailored frequency response of 50 Hz to 16 KHz designed for excellent transmit audio in SSB, AM and FM modes.
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/

You can write your own review of the TENTEC 707 Regal Microphone.

W2DWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2010 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this mic with the Omni VII and tried it on my FT-2000 and now I get great audio reports on my FT-2000. This is one great mic.

KE5SFK Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2010 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Looks good feels good!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Really pretty chromed mic with solid feel, full sound and easy keying. I would recommend this mic.

K2JX Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2010 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Very well built with a beautiful chrome finish XLR plug and comfortable slide switch for PTT use. I am using the 707 with my Omni-7 and FT-897D with the Yaesu adapter cable, RJ45 to 8 pin round. I've discovered to my complete surprise and joy that the Heil Goldline mic cable with XLR plug and PTT foot switch 1/4" jack work just fine with the 707 ! Switching between both rigs is easier now, one cable for the Omni, one cable for the FT-897D, no need to unplug the cables from either radio.

I have not made any contacts with the 707 yet but I can "see" that this mic is sensitive and will easily drive my the Omni-7/Ft-897D. The audio patterns on my monitor scope are "text book" SSB-FM-AM wave forms. Perfect Xmas tree shape SSB with a bit less audio drive than my Heil Goldline. I'll make a few contacts this weekend and update this review.

de K2JX

KG4LRU Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2010 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Great audio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I run the 707 Mic it really has performed well , Set up on this mic. Mic at 23 TX EQ at 0,aux input gain 2, H/w mix gain 1.5 db L.F. Roll OFF 120 HZ TX Band width 2800/3000 your choice . I found it to work well on all Ten TEC radios, and Much better than Pr40 on Orion II . This Mic has a lot gain requires few minutes to set Up. Its very articulate Sound . Supper build quality !

WB4QDA Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2010 20:04 Send this review to a friend
A work of Art !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered my first 707 microphone at the Tentec hamfest last Sepyember to use with my Omni VII .I liked it so much I bought a second 707 to use on My Orion II. I get great audio reports with the Microphone on both radios.Ihe audio is even better than my beloved Heil PR 40 . I also have the Tentec 708 and 709 microphones to my ears the 707 produces a much fuller audio.For all you hams that want to hear the microphone in real time Check out Dudley WA5QPZ (Net Control) audio on the Tentec net Sunday at 4:30PM eastern time on 14.329. I also check in, so listen for me or Dudley and judge for your self.

LA4UOA Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2010 05:29 Send this review to a friend
SUPER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best mic i have used,and i have tried many on my Orion 2.Got only top reports from people that know my voice.A super mic, look forward to try it on my Kenwood 870 as well.
Much better than any Heil microphone.

Torgeir LA4UOA.

W4PIG Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 11:09 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AUDIO  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
this is a up date on the mic. i purchased anothe 707 regal to use on my kenwood ts-2000. awesome audio reports on this mic works great. on both ssb and fm and am. this mic is not just for the ten tec series radio try it you will like it. GREAT JOB TEN TEC.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2010 11:05 Send this review to a friend
HI-FI Audio @ a Great Price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my Ten-Tec 707 mic yesterday and didn't get a chance to try it out till today. I wish I had tried it yesterday. I have gotten terrific audio quality reports with it.

I am using it with my Ten-Tec Orion II and set it up pretty much the way Ten-Tec said to start with the Orion except that I have to low end cutoff at 50 Hz. and 3900 Hz. on the high end. I haven't run the equalizer and left it set for a flat response.

I have received 2 unsolicited audio reports where they thought I was running HI-FI audio with equalization etc. I was using a Heil PR781 prior to using this and locals who know how I sound in person said it sounded exactly like me and better than the Heil.

To say that Ten-Tec hit a home run with this mic is an understatement! I can't wait to try it out on my Omni VII and FT-2000. Thank you Ten-Tec for another super product!

WA4AOS Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2010 20:16 Send this review to a friend
HOME RUN  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ten Tec has hit a HOME RUN with the 707 Mic. I operate mostly CW and a little AM normally but I have enjoyed this last week using the new 707 and getting unsolicited remarks about the audio quality. I had one person ask me which audio processor I was running to which I explained I was using the Ten Omni VII and the new Ten Tec 707 Mic.
I have heard one other 707 and was amazed with the full body sound the other station had. He was running an Omni VII also.
After being a Ten Tec fan for many years, their first year, and watched the company grow from a small QRP kit company to a TOP SHELF RADIO COMPANY, it is so neat to see Ten Tec release products of this caliber being released.

My only complaint with Ten Tec and TOTALLY not related to the 707 Mic, is I have been waiting patiently for over 3 years for Ten Tec to release the Real Time processor board for the Omni VII scope. Each year at the Ten Tec Omni VII forum at the Ten Tec Hamfest, we are told it will be available that year. At this rate, Maybe it will show up in the Omni 8 or 9 or 10.... Maybe????

I may have one of the largest Ten Tec collections around with over 120 pieces and believe I have invested enough to voice a real concern. I will always be a Ten Tec fan, just wish some things wouldn't fall between the cracks. Enough complaining for now. This will not affect my future purchase decisions. If Ten Tec builds it, I'll probably will buy it!

KZ4B Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2010 22:54 Send this review to a friend
kz4b@hotmail.com  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one of the very best looking mics I have ever seen from any source! The "build quality" is "top shelf". It looks great just sitting on display--regardless of it's audio capabilities (which seem to be excellent).

The relatively flat front with "boat-tail" rear shape of the bright-chromed microphone head looks quite good on the standard black rinkle finished round cast iron base offered by Ten-Tec. However, I purchased the Heil Model CB-1 base from Ham Radio Outlet, Inc. on closeout for $39.95 (originally $65.00)for an even better looking combination. This somewhat rectangular three-pound (extra-heavy)black rinkle finished cast iron base has a relativey straight front edge and rounded semi-circular back edge that compliments the shape of the mike head in plan view. In addition, there is a wide, brightly-polished stainless steel trim plate with three "art-deco" stripped depressions covering the trim plate from front to rear. You have to see this mike-base combination to appreciate it. Heil copied the base from an early 1930's RCA design and the mic screams "classic" 1930's art-deco mic design beauty.

"Good audio" is a very subjective issue. The TT Instruction Sheet for the 707 Mic recommends the following for my OMNI VII: 2800 Hz. Bandwidth, TX Roll Of 80 Hz, TX Equalization 0 dB, and Mic Gain 50%. Most observers preferred for me to set everything as recommended except for TX Roll Of which sounded better at 250 to 350 Hz in order to eliminate excessively bassie (muddy sounding) audio. Similar observations applied to use of the 707 Mic with my TT Jupiter. My experience with other similarly wide audio range (approx. 50 to 16,000 Hz.) Heil & TT mics has been similar. This may explain why there is such a wide variation in satisfaction/dissatisfaction (with audio) between hams evaluating similar mics!

Note that the 707 does not (in the opinion of most observers) sound very good (i.e. sounds too bassie/muddy)when rag-chewing on my OMNI VI+ because there is NO INTERNAL Equalization available. External equalization (if added)would of course fix this problem. However, the 707 Mic sounds better than a typical Heil HC-5 or Standard TT Desk or Hand Mic) when heavy Speech Processing is in use (with NO EQUALIZATION). This goes for both the Standard Internal OMNI 6+ Processor and the new TT Model 715 External RF Type Processor.