Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | Glentek Remote Control for CI-V ICOM or RS232 Version for Yaesu, Help

Reviews Summary for Glentek Remote Control for CI-V ICOM or RS232 Version for Yaesu,
Glentek Remote Control for CI-V ICOM or RS232 Version for Yaesu, Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$169 for the Icom version and $1
Description: LAN or Ethernet connection for Icom CIV radios or RS232 version for Yaesu, Kenwood, etc. Allows you to remotely control your radio through your Ethernet loaclly or via the internet without having to go through your home computer, thus, avoiding the pitfalls of failing computers that need to be-rebooted.
More info: http://www.glentekcorp.com/ or on e-bay seller: wa9mvz

You can write your own review of the Glentek Remote Control for CI-V ICOM or RS232 Version for Yaesu,.

W3DCB Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2009 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Great little device!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have 2 Glentek boards (one for my Yaesu FTdx9000D, the RS232 version, and one for my Icom IC-7800, the Icom CIV version). I have ordered 2 more and I may add even more in the future. Etherneting is much more efficient than the old style of remoting where you go through the home computer with all of the USB and serial cables feeding the different radios while using the computer as the remote connection and server. My one laptop had about 13 cables coming out of the COM/USB ports through USB port expanders to various devices (radios, rig blasters, etc.)...One USB-serial interface cable for each radio and device that I wished to conrol...Needless to say, if the computer goes, everything goes and you have no means by which to re-boot the computer from afar. This is not to mention the troublesome set-up of virtual ports for RigBlasters and CW control, etc., with serial remote software and more virtual ports through Ham Radio Deluxe's IP remote software or others, etc. I am now able to get rid of ALL of these cables and just put everything on an Ethernet switch! I purchased a "large" 16 port Ethernet Swtitch (have a 22 port one in storage also just in case). Requires NO software...just plug in the Ethernet switch and you are ready to go! Your Ethernet is only as large as your Ethernet switch that you buy(They are cheap too). Setting up and configuring the Ethernet ports with the suplied software is a breaze. Remote AND local access through your Ethernet allows you to avoid the computer completely. I use "REMOTE" control from my office AND at home locally through the EtherNet...While lying in bed, my little laptop is used to control my radio station and various devices. Boy, am I lazy? Right now, I only use the remote computer for Skype audio/video (video for panoramic display of either the FTdx9000D or the IC-7800). What a pleasure! The response is quicker and predictable and NOT prone to computer failure. I am not wealthy. So, my computers are not the best...4 Meg of RAM at the most and they do not seem to handle all that much without failing and needing re-booting upon occaision. I am told that this is the case even with more expensive machines as well, however. I have not set up this feature yet...But, you can even re-boot your computer remotely without much hassle. Run a simple line from the computer's ON/Off (Re-Set) Switch and use the board's switching capability with a remote command to re-boot the computer (switch closes for 10 seconds). I have not finished the set up yet. It IS a bit on the expensive side if you plan on remoting/Etherneting a bunch of equuipment...I may use another brand for the RigBlasters as their control is not as critical or as complicated. There are others out there...For the actual radio control, however, I would stick with Glentek's models. They have all of the features that you would want to run and control the radio. Also, Fred has been great! He puts up with all of my silly questions and he always promptly answers my e-mails. He consistantly offers to give what ever help is necessary to get them up and running. He constantly states, "We will not let you fail!" Ever have one of those devices that you could not get working that ends up in a drawer for which you could not get adequtate support from the manufacturer? I do have a few of those...Not here...Fred won't let it happen! Besides, set up is so easy anyway. [If you plan to remote, It helps to get a permanent IP address which will make your remoting a lot easier. Checkout NO-IP. You can register (for a modest fee) your own IP address which is unchanging. The software on the home computer monitors your own IP address at home and will send it off to the NO-IP-server information when ever your IP address changes such as when you re-set your Modem/DSL Router and your IP address therefore changes.] However, even if you do not plan to remote very much and you just plan on local use of your radios and devices through your local home computers, Etherneting is the way to go! It adds a few dollars to the set-up, but I think that it is worth it in the end for the reliability, convenience, and ease of use -- not to mention not having your computer being tied down to a bunch of cabes to your computer's USB and/or serial ports -- just ONE computer connection -- your Ethernet cable. No more of having to remember which USB port was Port #5 when you plug the cable back into which port was that again? At present, the boards do not come with boxes, but Fred says that he is working on that and hopes for a solution soon.
Take care guys! Enjoy!