Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosley TA-33jr WARC Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley TA-33jr WARC
Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$399.00
Description: 5 band 20-10 meter beam
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com/amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the Mosley TA-33jr WARC.

WA6IBU Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2017 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Best overall lightweight yagi  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is about 20yrs old for me and I bought it used. Mounted it on a rooftop tower on my house in the SF bay area. I added the WARC upgrade and at some point had to replace the 15m traps. But it has enabled me to work them ALL. Can't complain. Moved houses and it's down down so probably go with something bigger but will keep this one and modify it to breakdown easily for travel use.

K5DSQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2017 09:58 Send this review to a friend
5 Years Old  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Mosley TA-33JR WARC just turned 5 years old and it is still performing like the day I purchased it. SWR is still at specs on all bands. It has been through some pretty brutal wind storms (50-60 mph) during that period as well. I also have a pretty good size barn owl that likes to park himself on it most night. I typically hang out in the digital/CW parts of the band but occasionally venture into the phone portion and run the amp. This antenna is not capable of handling legal limit power from my Alpha amp so I am careful to keep the power within the recommended limits. I find 800-1000 watts on SSB in the HF phone bands to be more than adequate. No problems so far with the traps and they looked fine during my last annual inspection. For someone who mostly enjoys the digital modes I find this lightweight, low wind loading, easy to rotate Mosley hard to beat.

WU9P Rating: 3/5 Oct 16, 2016 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was very disappointed with the Mosley TA-33JR-N-WARC antenna. The antenna traps can potentially burn out, or suffer from other mechanical failure. They have caused me a great deal of grief. I had problems with the antenna traps even when using linear amplifiers below the antennas specified limits (CW 500 watts/SSB 1200).

Be advised, use extreme caution if you plan on using any type of linear amplifier with this antenna now, or are planning to use one in the future. I feel these power limits are over stated, and should be re-evaluated. I would not recommend using a linear amplifier at all with this particular antenna. Also, in my opinion traps are just another unnecessary antenna component that have the potential to fail, as mine did. I would never purchase another antenna with traps.

Additionally, the installation instructions for this antenna should be updated to reflect the parts actually provided for the latest antenna design.

Outside of the issues I had with the traps the antenna did perform quite well and would have gotten a better rating if not for the trap issues.

AA5IR Rating: 2/5 Feb 23, 2014 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Next time Cushcraft  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I consider this too much of a "do it yourself" project, beyond the expected assembly requirements. 1) Why can't they deburr their holes - I don't have an elaborate tool set that would be needed to do this. 2) Half the reflector blew away in the first windstorm and I had to pay 50% + full shipping for a replacement. 3) Instead of having to saw off pieces from the front element to tune it to the center of 20 meters (VERY inconvenient) they should have a shorter element with a small pull-out fitted in that could be easily adjusted.

K5DSQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2013 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It had been 20+ years since I took down and gave away my old Hy-Gain tri-band beam to a young fledgling ham thinking I would never have another. Fortunately the bug bit again a few years ago and I eventually came to the conclusion that it was time to remove the Mosley beam from my bucket list. It had been on one list or another since first becoming a novice back in 1960. The thought of owning a Mosley back then as a 13 year old novice with a flame throwing 15 watt 40/80 meter transmitter was about as unrealistic as getting a new Corvette for passing my drivers license test. Here is my review culminating 50+ years of wishful thinking.
I ordered the antenna from Mosley and had the usual one month wait. They assured me it would be delivered on time and I would be notified if they encountered any delay. It arrived right on schedule and was packed very well for shipping. Construction is quick (much more so than I remember with my Hy-Gain bean) and simple if you follow the directions. The element color markings make assembly and adjustments very easy. I typically work PSK-31 on 20-10 meters and very seldom encounter a DX station I can't work on the first call. Since placing the antenna on my 50' tower we have had winds gusts exceeding 60 MPH and this baby takes it and keep on ticking. All SWR reading at resonance are within spec, 1.2-1 or better and I can work any portion of all bands with my FT-950's internal tuner. Highest SWR is on the lower part of 15 meters @ 1.9-1. I only have two complaints: 1. The assembly instructions are Xerox copies and you would think in this age of wonderful graphics that they would have been upgraded from the previous century. 2. The plastic end cap on the boom are worthless and blew off in the first windstorm. No big deal but I bet old man Mosley would roll over in his grave if he knew about these thin plastic caps. Find a suitable replacement if you buy one.
After years of waiting I am very pleased with my Mosley TA-33jr WARC. It's lightweight, easy to assemble, strong, performs as advertised and does not require the price of a new transceiver to own one. My recommendation: Don't wait 50 years to get one and enjoy.

KJ4I Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2011 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance I have gained form this antenna. I have only had it up less than a week but I knew after the first few contacts it was worth every penny. After researching, reading reviews, and talking to others this antenna offered exactly what I had been looking for within my price range that others did not. Up until now I have always used dipoles, verticals, and inverted Vee's. I did ok with the wire antennas and verticals but the difference the Mosley TA-33jr has made can't be compared. Most of the time I get through the pileups within the first two calls running just 100 watts. Signal reports have been outstanding. I have the WARC version and it works great on 17 meters too. I have mostly been using it on 20 meters but the SWR is about a 1.1 and always less than 1.5 on the phone portion of all 5 bands. No need for a tuner. Assembly was a little tedious but pretty simple. The antenna was big but not as big and bulky as I had envisioned it would be. It was pretty easy to install on my 50ft tower and not all that heavy when handling. Construction seems more than adequate and I had no issues putting it all together. I still have more testing to do and once I have had it for a while I will be writing an updated review. I don't know why anyone would be less than satisfied with this antenna. Excellent product.

KJ6U Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2010 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Very good performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My criteria were: small footprint, lightweight, easy assembly and good reputation. Wound up with a choice between Tennadyne T6 and the Moseley. The Moseley was 10 lbs lighter and easier to assemble. Received antenna after 6 week wait. Assembled in about 5 hours and installed myself on 33 foot tower. I lifted the beam onto my roof from a picnic table. Had it on my homebrew tiltdown mast in two hours. I have been using it for three days. SWR was less than 2:1 on all bands. Gain is about 2-3 S units better over my dipole with exception of 12 and 17 meters which only use a dipole. I am working sations I couldn't even hear on the dipole. This yagi is much better than my old Hy-gain TH-3JR. Direct coax connection to the driven elements so no fussing with matching networks etc. I wound an RF choke 5 turns in a 6 diameter at the feed. Gary at Moseley was very helpful with suggestions. I highly recommend this antenna.
Will report further after several months.

WB9FQS Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2010 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Beam  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my TA-33JR-N-WARC up for over 14 years mounted on a house supported mast at about 33’ above ground level or 8’ above the roof line. It has survived a downing in a wind storm (without damage) and another time the outer part of one of elements came out dropped into the alley below and was apparently carted off (probably did not tighten the screw enough). Mosley promptly and inexpensively sent a replacement and no such problem since.

It was very easy to assemble and was put up using only a mast. It has rendered excellent service with low SWR across on all the bands including the WARC bands. It is very well constructed and has made a significant difference in my station’s signal performance with a large number of worldwide contacts. It can break through all but the “biggest guns” in a pile-up and great signal reports from both DX and stateside stations are common. Excellent front-to-side signal rejection and very good front-to-back signal rejection. Another great Mosley product!

W0EMS Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2009 08:05 Send this review to a friend
HIGHLY RECOMMEND  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to assemble, very durable, low profile, works great in pile-ups.

ON4XA Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2007 13:57 Send this review to a friend
perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi to all. It's now 5 years i use the TA33-JRN-WARC. Before i moved, i had 45 coax cable, and antenna worked perfectly on all bands INCLUDE 6m band. After my moving, i have now only 25m coax, and it works nomore on 6m :-( But for the other bands, i have totally no complain about the TA33JRN_WARC. It's a marvellous antenna. Now, an antenna is like a car... take care of it, clean it and verify it 2 times/year and it will works without any problem. I tested it in pile ups with maximal power gived by Mosley, 1,2kw. No problem. Antenna did his job perfectly. I know some other antennas "able" to receive 5Kw and smelted after 1,5kw... Just a negative point, i use a TS 2000 with it; and a 570DG on the diamond CP6 vertical. In RX, i have no difference between the 2 antennas. In TX well, of course. Reports give me someimes 2 à 3S differences. But in RX, no difference. 73's