Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | MFJ 2340T Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 2340T
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $22.95
Description: Short mobile HF whip 36" that can be used with a magnet mount. Similar to MFJ HamTenna.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ 2340T.

AF5CC Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2014 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Impressive for size!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first purchased one of these for 17m, figuring since it is a narrow band I could work both CW and SSB on the same whip. To be honest, I didn't expect much out of a 3 foot whip, but I figured with MFJ's "no matter what" 1 year warranty, I could send it back if I couldn't work out of my backyard with it.

Well I was blown away with its performance! It covered the entire 17m band with a flat SWR. I worked several countries in Europe, Siberia, Japan, and all over the US with it. I was so impressed I bought the 20 meter version. I have been having a blast with it on the CW county hunter's frequency, and used a tuner this last trip to get on the SSB county hunter's net as well. Made probably 150 CW QSOs on the way to Iowa and back. Worked Siberia and the Ukraine one evening also. This is all with 40 watts or so since I just hook the rig to the cigarette lighter in the van.

I use the 5 inch mag mount as well and did have one break last year. MFJ replaced both the mag mount and the 17m whip at no cost to me.

My only regret is that I waited so long to get one of these. This is one product that MFJ definitely got right! I can't recommend them enough. I have worked around 40 different countries using them mobile in only 2 years.

NZ5L Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2013 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Satisfactory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a set of these, and will admit that they work well, especially considering their size. I have been able to work the louder stations I can hear, even DX, BUT they will not necessarily stay put if you are counting on a 5" mobile magnet mount. A gust of wind resulted in my mount and antenna bumping along between the car and highway at 60Mph. Admittedly, this is not the fault of the antenna per se, just something to be aware of. The money saved by buying MFJ whips has now been spent on a much heavier, multi-magnet mount.

K4ZNC Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Solves my problem  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a full set of Workman "ham sticks" that work well for me, BUT, I live in a beautiful City (Tallahassee, FL) that has canopy oak trees on many roads. My stick is attached on the runner on the top of my Jeep Liberty. These long sticks take a beating with low hanging branches.

I ran an A/B test comparing the full size Workman 40 meter stick with the MFJ shorty 40 meter stick. During a trip to the mountains of north Georgia, I had an opportunity to make comparisons with various hams over a 4 day period. No significant difference between the two sticks (300 to 500 mile radius). No problem checking into SouthCars net.

BTW, the MFJ shorty 40 looks exactly like the Workman 40 stick (and I mean exactly!).

Given that I no longer hit low hanging branches and the shorty 40 wooks as good as the regular sized stick, I give it a 5/5. No it is not a contesting or DX machine, but serves my purposes very well.