Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-4/80 MC-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-4/80 MC-1
Hi-Q-4/80 MC-1 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $425.00
Description: This NEW Hi-Q-4/80 and -4/160 Rt MC-1 antenna has the specially developed Hi-Impact/Modified Polycarbonate coil housing with Internal components SILVER-plated.
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-4/80 MC-1.

VK4SX Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2015 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent in every way  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this particular HI-1 4-80 MC-1 since early 2008, I have a few HI-Q antennas, what ever gets over the top of this design, would be the perfect HF Mobile,
light, strong, reliable, works, and looks a million bucks.
Cheers
Dennis vk4sx

NL7NP Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2013 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna-Buy IT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have run the 4-80 on my tractor trailer and have found NO other antenna that will out perform this piece of art unless you go to the larger coil. There is NO reason you should look any further for a mobile antenna. If you want to hear the antenna in action drop by 7.195 and you will hear several guys using them. Thanks Hi-Q for the BEST antenna made. Ron Lewis NL7NP

KC7DCW Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the hi-q 4/80 mounted on a 2003 F350 7.3L PS. This is my first screwdriver antenna and the purchase was made in May 2011 after much reaserch was conducted on the different screwdriver antennas. I also ordered the EB-4 with two foot extension rod. I have been able to receive on all bands flawlessly. I would highly recommened a Hi-Q to anyone. Transmist has been great as well. The instructions are very clear.
The only issue with my setup is the diesel injector noise and that will happen with any HF antenna on this truck, its all about bonding. The reason is took so lond in setting up was chasing down the nosie sources on my truck, moving and surgery.
This antenna works like a champ.

KA6BOI Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2011 08:45 Send this review to a friend
great antenna till the accedent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this antenna on the back of my 2005 honda Civic until I was rear ended on the freeway. I use to have
ham sticks or the fake ham sticks and yes they worked ok, but when I got
the HI-Q-4/80 MC-1 what a differeance it made. I was making contacts with stations
that I heard before and not able to get back to, but with this antenna they heard me. I use
to call CQ for most of my 90 minute drive home with maybe a response or two, but with the HI-Q it was not
long till they called me back.
I would make 4 or more contacts and or did some rag chewing too. I hope to get it replaced real soon. I do so miss HF mobile.

Cal Vasquez
K6VT formerly KA6BOI

N7QY Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2011 09:53 Send this review to a friend
World Class Mobile Ant  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 4/80 is a 2001 model, so it has been in continuous use for 10 tens. The antenna performs flawlessly, in fact it performs as well after 10 years of constant use as the day Charlie installed it. Yes! Charlie freely gave of his time and expertise to ensure I drove away fully operational. His service is the best in the industry. The antenna is outstanding... I routinely break large pileups! I know this shouldn't happen, yet the signal punches through pileups as if I had a kilowatt and a 3 element Yagi. I've worked 250 DXCC all SSB from my Icom 706 in my 1999 Sebring Convertible and HI-Q's 4/80. My QTH is in a salt water environment at Newport Beach, CA yet the antenna remains sealed, and still tunes at 1.1 on 20 m phone band. It is below 1.5 on all frequencies I use- 80 thru 10. Let me strongly recommend HI-Q both for the quality and performance of their antennas, and their unparalleled customer support. I've been licensed since 1960 and can honestly report that Hi-Q is the best Ham Radio company I have ever experienced. Ted Bohrer, N7QY f8baron@gmail.com

K6EC Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2010 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Review Update from 6/14/2010  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my last review June 14, 2010; A few days back I was working on a new antenna mount for our new Ford Explorer. Currently the Hi-Q 4/80 is mounted on my Honda Ridgeling (see Hi-Q truck installations on their web site). Well as nature does, I got the call and went into the house. My wife came out and got in the Explorer for a run to the market; yea really--she backed over the lower mast section bending it beyond use although the motor still functioned.

Well, a trip to Hi-Q and Charlie took time out from his busy schedule to drag out a press and straighten the mast--no charge! Now this is the second time Charlie has fixed the antenna due to my stupidity (see orig review).

There is no second guessing that Hi-Q makes the best mobile antennas!! but the service Charlie provides is personal and the best and that's worth every bit as much as the product. Thank you Charlie; HI-Q Antennas.

K5END Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2010 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Like the Grand Canyon  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna performs so well you'll have to use it and (once installed properly) see for yourself.

I've owned other brands (plural) which I will not name here, and can assure you there is NO comparison.

The construction is solid. No worries there. The extensions, quick disconnects and cap hats are FB too.

This is not only the best antenna I've ever seen or used, it is the ONLY antenna I would recommend. There is not even a close second place.

Other antennas work, sure, because "any (brand-x) antenna is better than no antenna," as they say. I've made contacts to Europe with other brands. But none can compete with this one.

This antenna is like the Grand Canyon. You have to experience it first hand to understand its nature.

WC5E Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2010 05:22 Send this review to a friend
The best mobile antenna I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
My mobile activities date back to the A.M. days(55 years to be exact).
I purchased my Hi-Q antenna 4 years ago & have had excellant service from it.
It is rugged & dependable.
I returned it for service this month. It was received, repaired & shipped back the same day. Now that is service !!!.

AA1OV Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2009 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Expensive but worth every penny  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let me start by saying that I agonized for a long time over spending this much for a "screwdriver type" mobile antenna. I have had 2 screwdrivers in the past. One was "OK", and the one that just died played good for a mobile antenna. When the antenna died however, and I spend many months of the year in my RV, I decided to jump into a premium (I hoped) antenna.

I ordered the 4/80 MC-1 basing my choice on value for my $$, how much I was comfortable spending, and my operating needs. The package arrived in very short order. It was well packed in a shipping tube and arrived with no damage. I was surprised that there was no assembly instructions, and I was somewhat unsure about the cap hat assembly. I sent off an email to Charlie and then went to the Hi-Q web site and downloaded the manual and printed it. Charlie responded to my questions within 12 hours (it was Sunday after all) and I got the info I needed to assemble the cap hat.

Since I bought the "B" kit it came with a huge quick disconnect for the antenna that makes removal from the RV quick & simple for road travel. I set mine up with a simple toggle switch and had it on my rig in less than an hour.

OK, OK so how does it play? On 80 & 40 it rivals my 6BTV ground mounted vertical. On the balance of bands down to 6m it is "almost" as strong as the 6BTV. Signals I hear at S9 on the Hustler 6BTV, I hear at S6-8 on 60-6 meters. This is far and away better than any mobile antenna I have used. SWR across the bands is less than 1.8:1 and in many cases 1.1:1. I am picky too and my FT-950's internal tuner fine tunes every stop along the way, on every band, down to 1.1:1.

Construction of the antenna is rugged, and everything fits. The quick disconnects work well and make take down & storage for travel simple & fast.

Did I get my $$s worth? Categorically YES I did. I guess the old adage that you get what you pay for is true. I will review the antenna again in a year or so and give you all an update. Oh & customer support was quick and Charlie answered my questions quickly. I guess the only thing that could improve is including a copy of the assembly instructions for the cap hat & antenna in the package.

I highly recommend this antenna to any "serious" mobile installation.