Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-221A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-221A
Kenwood TM-221A Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $440.00
Description: The Kenwood TM-221A 2 meter mobile transceiver was specifically designed to condense maximum performance and operating convenience into an ultra-compact package. There are 14 multi-function memory channels plus 2 odd split channels. The TM-221A transmits on 2 meters with 45 or 5 watts. Extended receive allows reception from 138 to 174 MHz. You also get built-in CTCSS encode and an easy to read LCD.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-221A.

VE1DCD Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2013 11:05 Send this review to a friend
It's a great mobile rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my TM-221A since 1998. It spent most of that time in storage in my basement, then in my shed. When I turned it on, after not having been used in over 7 years, all the programming was still there and it worked just as it did when I put it away. It was my very first rig and is now mounted in my Ford Ranger for mobile use. Signal reports are always great. I will never get rid of this unless it dies.

N6ADA Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2011 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Still working  Time owned: more than 12 months
How old is this thing? I had it in storage for over 5 years and it still held memory! For a little radio of it's time, I can't complain. Just make sure it can do the things that you want. It has all the popular tones and standard + - offsets. I don't think it can do the custom offsets. That and the fact it may be a little dated, is a 4 star here.

W6SZG Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2009 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Good radio - memory battery needs replacement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio for $50.00. Worked fine and sounds good. However, once shut off all the memory functions (PL, splits, frequencies, etc.) are all gone. Manual (downloaded from Kenwood site) says send it in for memory battery replacement - I called Kenwood and was quoted $75.00/hour and no promise to fix it if there was corrosion! The CR2032 button cell lithium battery is soldered to a board behind the front panel. Found the directions to get to it and replace it and install a button battery holder in a more accessible place under the top cover. Worked perfectly - thanks to W7JBQ for his 2005 posting on another site. I'm happy to pass along the directions to anyone who asks via Email or SASE.

KF6UME Rating: 3/5 Nov 1, 2009 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Decent rig, limited features, unreliable backlight  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up a used TM-221A from a local ham for $50. The good: it's functional. Signal/audio reports are decent and the radio is simple to figure out and program without a manual. It's similar to the Radio Shack HTX-212 or 242 in regards to simplicity and button design, although I prefer the RadShack instead. The faceplate, buttons, microphone, etc., of this rug all seem cheap. The mic clip has broken off due to aged plastic, the backlight flickers intermittenly and the radio had a slight hum when CTCSS was enabled. This was resolved by scaling back the mic gain internally. It is MARS modifiable and works operates FB otherwise. Bottom line; I'd rather buy the Radio Shack HTX-212 or 242 than another Kenwood TM-221A.