Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Nagoya NA-701 BNC Dual Band Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Nagoya NA-701 BNC Dual Band Antenna
Nagoya NA-701 BNC Dual Band Antenna Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $13.50
Description: Frequency : 144 / 430 MHz Gain : 2.15 dB Height : 216 mm
Weight : 38 g Connector : BNC,SMA-Male, SMA-Female
More info: http://www.nagoya.com.tw/Two_Way_Radio_Handheld_Antenna02.html

You can write your own review of the Nagoya NA-701 BNC Dual Band Antenna.

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2017 20:21 Send this review to a friend
No problems here  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this antenna for my UV5R HT. Noticeable improvement over the stock rubber duck. Gave the radio better ears & TX. The stock antenna is nothing more than a spiral wound dummy load.

I don't put much faith in the HT's, but if you're dead set on using them, this antenna compliments them well.

K4ISR Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2016 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Legit versions are great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am familiar with the real versus fake versions of this antenna. I've put several of each to the test and the real ones come through with a definite benefit over the stock rubber ducky. The fakes vary in quality from 1dBm lower, to no better than a dummy load (worse than stock Baofeng 5R rubber ducky).

Some numbers in 2m VHF: the stock UV-5R comes in at -7.0dBm, the 701 at +3.5dBm, and the 771 at +6.5dBm. Fakes came in from -6.0 to -1.0dBm.

For UHF 70cm: the stock 5R comes in at -7.5dBm, the 701 at -6.0dBm, and the 771 at -7.0dBm. Fakes come in from -12.0dBm to -8dBm.

KA2QPG Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2015 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Decent handheld antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A genuine NA-701 is a real upgrade to a mini dual-bander. Got a VX-3R recently and it's a great rig, but its 5" antenna is inefficient on 2m. The NA-701 made it talk like a handheld should.
All the NA-701's I have seen advertise "2.15 dB gain" on 2 meters, but we all know that's bunkum, right? That would be the gain (over isotropic) of a halfwave dipole, not a shortened quarterwave with no ground plane.

KB4MQ Rating: 0/5 Jul 5, 2013 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Real or Not??  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a Nagoya NA-701 SMA-F from Solid Radio in Hong Kong. When I received the antenna, I checked it on VHF with my Vectronics VEC-584B Antenna Analyzer. The antenna was resonate at 155.20 MHz with the 2.0:1 SWR bandwidth range spanning from 152.98 MHz to 157.10 MHz. The SWR was 7.6:1 at 144.00 MHz and 5.0:1 at 148.00 MHz. Clearly not usable on the 2 meter band. Upon further inspection I found this antenna to be only 206 mm in length including the connector; Nagoya's website indicates the length of this antenna should be 216 mm. In addition there were several knicks on the antenna. So what did I really wind up with? A used one that had been shortened or a counterfeit one? Whichever, it is worthless to me. The counterfeiters are getting so good with the physical appearance of their products and the bulk of these Chinese merchants will market whatever will sell. Buyer beware!

So how should I rate this antenna? I will just state that the antenna that I bought as well as its seller both deserve a low rating. If my low rating attracts your attention and prevents you from getting scammed by a counterfeit item and/or disreputable seller, then this rating has served its purpose. Hopefully you will have a better experience than I did.

KC2IGY Rating: 3/5 Oct 12, 2012 14:11 Send this review to a friend
SMA-F version  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the SMA-F version of the NA-701 for my cheap Baofeng UV-5R. I bought it based on reviews in the Baofeng Yahoo! group, and the fact it is one of the few antennas that comes in an SMA-F version. My results are disappointing. I purchased it from a reputable vendor that was recommended, so to be sure not to get a counterfeit one. Unfortunately, the antenna performs no better than the stock antenna. The stock antenna actually works quite well for a 4" antenna, but I expected the larger NA-701 to outperform it. It just doesn't. Not on UHF or VHF. Fringe repeaters are still on the fringe. I'll keep the antenna as a backup, but I'm I'm back to using the smaller stock antenna.

KZ6D Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2011 00:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value in an dual band HT antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
[first off, let me say that my review is for the model with the SMA connector. I suppose that once one gets past the connector itself, there's no difference between it and the model that sports a BNC]

I purchased a VX-5R way back in 2004 just before Vertex/Yaesu ceased production that model. I love the radio & it just so happens that I live in a pretty repeater-rich area, so it's really never occurred to me to use anything other than the stock antenna that came with the radio (it always seemed sufficient for what I wanted to do), but because of the radio's ultra-wide frequency range, it seems as though the the 'factory' antenna tries really hard too be "all things to all bands", so to speak.

As we all know, asking a roughly nine inch long antenna to cover every band from 6m up to 70cm is a pretty tall order. It seemed to me after some initial real-world experimentation & comparison with other duckies of various types that the stock Yaesu antenna didn't really excel on ANY band. This suspicion was recently borne out during a trip through the Arizona desert (where repeaters are few and far between): Two Meters sounded like some sort of radio vortex in which any trace of a viable signal was nowhere to be heard.

I decided that it was time for me to upgrade my HT's on board antenna; so
I went where I most always go in similar situations... ebay!

I looked to see what was available that fit my needs & carefully referenced each on the eham.net reviews section. There were a lot of choices; but this, the NAGOYA NA-701 seemed to get fairly universal praise from other amateurs. This coupled with the fact that I could have one for a paltry $12.00 (including shipping from China no less) & I was sold!

As I mentioned, I'd used the stock antenna for so long that I had a real intuitive feel for how it interacted with local repeaters & there were a couple of 70cm machines that were notorious for being really spotty here at the QTH. I slapped my new NA-701 on my HT & was quite astounded to work these machines with a clarity that I'd never before experienced from home.

This actually does seem to be a "true" dual band antenna considering that 2m performance is also appears to be positively impacted by it's presence. Also... I commonly use my VX-5R to listen to KFI 640 AM a lot of the time while I'm working at my desk. I figured that, because the NA-701 is physically shorter than the stock duck that I'd never be able to use it for MW.

That's what I get for making assumptions. Mediumwave signals come in as good if not slightly better with the new stick. I'm quite sure that this is nothing more than dumb-luck as such an antenna as this isn't built with anything at all to do with sub-1MHz signals in mind... but just the same, it works & that's all I care about.

So... if you need a compact, flexible, efficient & affordable dual-band antenna for your HT, just log onto eBay & search for the NA-701. They're everywhere, they're inexpensive & they WORK!

LA3CTA Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2011 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Great little antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it along with my Yaesu VX-8GR, and going from the standard Yaesu antenna to the NA-701, I gained 1s on both VHF and UHF. But a much more steadier signal was achieved on the NA-701 than on the standard antenna while in movement. It is also a lot more flexible than the standard one. I can almost bend it 180 degrees without feeling I'm over stressing it. Now I don't even have to worry about the antenna while sitting down/bending over.

I highly recommend this antenna for anyone wanting more flexibility and performance, not to mention the small size of it. Only 21cm or 8,2 inches tall. For the price on a popular webshop in Hong Kong, you can't go wrong with this one.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2010 10:46 Send this review to a friend
A Good HT Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought BNC model for Wouxun D/B HT's due to adapting SMA-F to BNC for mobile antenna use. This antenna works as well as the Wouxun rubber duck which actually works very well even on VHF MURS and GMRS UHF.

Hard to beat for the price, I give this one a "thumbs up" and a 5 rating.

MM0IMC Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2009 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Better than a standard dual band antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this for my Yaesu FT-60R because I didn't like the SMA connector and wanted to use a more robust BNC based antenna (via an adapter). This antenna gives me at least 1 S point more on both VHF/UHF as compared to the standard Yaesu dual band antenna.